Hercules freight plane

1979 Sheltie

I don't really agree mate. If folk want a ham or a turkey and fresh veg at Christmas then that is up to them. If a retailer is willing to fly stuff in to supply that then good on them.

There is plenty of stuff in my freezer and tatties still in the ground but not everybody is in that position.

I think sitting down to beans on toast or something at Christmas would be a bit dissapointing.

Are you sure there is still plenty of choice in Shetland? The other shops goods would have been on the boat as well. How many Turkeys does Shetland produce?

Come to think of it when was the last time Shetland was self sufficient in food?

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Longdog :D

mikeyboy, this is another sad sign of how Shetland has gone down hill - people just never think or plan ahead now. It's all about rushing to Tesco and living from day to day and look what happens!.

As lochend says, I'm sure if folk had bothered to go to any of the local butchers they'd have found plenty on offer and of alternatives.

The Globe, Mainland's, J&K Anderson, The Scalloway Meat Company, Shetland Meat Company etc.

It was obvious to me even last Monday that we were in for another possibly disruptive blast of wind!.

^ I'm also a tad surprised that Tesco's didn't limit the number of items people could buy; buying for Christmas is one thing but buying say 10 four litre containers of milk is crazy and if people were bulk buying and Tesco were allowing it then Tesco were contributing to the problem. Anyway, doesn't some of Tesco's stock come up on Streamline?

Selfish, pure bloody-minded and unnecessary selfishness. Shops are only closing for a few days.

Beans on toast for Christmas? Two years ago I had a fishfinger sandwich on Christmas day - it was food, I ate - some poor sods elsewhere in the world won't be having any food on Christmas day.

^ I'm also a tad surprised that Tesco's didn't limit the number of items people could buy; buying for Christmas is one thing but buying say 10 four litre containers of milk is crazy and if people were bulk buying and Tesco were allowing it then Tesco were contributing to the problem. Anyway, doesn't some of Tesco's stock come up on Streamline?

Selfish, pure bloody-minded and unnecessary selfishness. Shops are only closing for a few days.

But of course some of Tesco's Lerwick customers may only come into town once a fortnight or even once a month so bulk buying for them is normal.

Did anybody buy 10 cartons of milk?

Fishfinger sandwich, were you dissapointed or happy about it?

Just because you were in that situation it doesn't mean everybody else has to. I had gravy and rice once for Christmas dinner but I don't think that is OK.

Thats the thing if somebody has the money to buy and the shop is willing to supply the goods surely thats the end of the story.

Yes I agree though panic bulk buying is silly and contributes to the problem.

Long term food security is something that we should think about.

People have always stripped the shelves on the runup to Xmas - doesn't matter where you are.

Seen it in England and Scotland loads of time, a mass buy-in for a period of about two days, ridiculous mindset.

Fair play to Tesco, good publicity and doing summat a bit different. But Marys' shelves are wells stacked - so I couldn't give a monkeys about Lerwick. :P

mikeyboy, this is another sad sign of how Shetland has gone down hill - people just never think or plan ahead now. It's all about rushing to Tesco and living from day to day and look what happens!.

Tesco's is the worst offender for not planning ahead. The stock room simply isn't big enough to cope without daily deliveries from south. This is a major problem for them but they have handsomely diverted attention away from that with this PR stunt.

Tesco's have effectively let their customers down by not having anyting to sell but have manged to turn the situation around (only in the short term mind) into a positive for them through throwing money at the problem and hoping the public fall for it - mission accomplished!

This should have been an opportunity for the smaller retailers to show their value to shetland by filling the gap. Their use of local suppliers and more sensible 'Shetland style' stock control means that every shop I've been in still has full shelves.

Sudden Stop

As far as I know every Tesco get a daily delivery based on what sells.

Planning ahead is ridiculous with fresh food because it would go to waste, nothing to do with space.

I think a lot more planning is in it than you think.

Armchair economics does not work sudden stop........

We are lucky we live in a place where it's unlikely anyone should go hungry and I'm sure that most will have plenty in cupboards and deep freezes to keep going for weeks.

It's a few days of bad weather, no one is to blame and no one is likely to starve. If Tescos can get some perishables in great, if not we won't die and will make do.

Still hoping to get fresh veg today, if not will improvise, just glad I'm able to be with friends and family.

I'm more concerned about those who may not get home to family at this time of year. :cry: