Hercules freight plane

1979 Sheltie

A plane like that can seat 60+ folk, now, if Tesco were generous, perhaps a flight for their customers too. I cannot see them parachuting off the ramp though if the Queen can jump from a helicopter then...

:wink:

Sadly the plane will probably be fitted out as a freighter so no seats meaning no passengers........at least not in this part of the world where rules are kept to.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^ From Tescos Facebook - "The plane will land at Sumburgh at 11:00 am, and we should start getting stock to the store by early afternoon. Meanwhile the plane will return to Edinburgh to pick up more stock and be back at Sumburgh by 3:30pm."

I'm more concerned about those who may not get home to family at this time of year. :cry:

Exactly. I know a few in this position, though it looks more and more like the forecasts have been exaggerated so Sunday should see things back to normal.

However, as mentioned elsewhere, if Tesco had offered to help get *people* home, that might actually have meant something.

It is a quite worrying trend though. Only a few years ago it wasn't uncommon to be stuck in the house without power etc for a few days at a time, several times during the winter. Are people generally really not prepared anymore?

Despite the tabloid style headlines, what has actually happened is that a couple of the big shops are missing a small subset of items, all of which are readily available elsewhere.

Plenty of chocolates according to some photos, a gift from the Mayan Gods...

If home grown was more popular, it stays good far longer then the manipulated greeneries and internal pipped produce in a dark cool larder.

Grow Shetland would be the folk to talk to. We have Transition groups here, we have so far provided fresh veg from our garden to about 15 local house holds who were in need, great to see the smiles. The folk at Grow Shetland offer advice, I am sure if there were more community gardens folk would get along and join in.

Something to discuss as you eat together...

^^ From Tescos Facebook - "The plane will land at Sumburgh at 11:00 am, and we should start getting stock to the store by early afternoon. Meanwhile the plane will return to Edinburgh to pick up more stock and be back at Sumburgh by 3:30pm."

I'm more concerned about those who may not get home to family at this time of year. :cry:

Exactly. I know a few in this position, though it looks more and more like the forecasts have been exaggerated so Sunday should see things back to normal.

However, as mentioned elsewhere, if Tesco had offered to help get *people* home, that might actually have meant something.

It is a quite worrying trend though. Only a few years ago it wasn't uncommon to be stuck in the house without power etc for a few days at a time, several times during the winter. Are people generally really not prepared anymore?

Despite the tabloid style headlines, what has actually happened is that a couple of the big shops are missing a small subset of items, all of which are readily available elsewhere.

As usual the same people on here who slag people off are having a go at Tescos for trying there best to get fresh supplies on there shelves..Good on Tesco for trying its going to cost them a lot off money to charter that plane..

Loganair have laid on extra flights to help get people home well done them

Dont you think Spinner it should be Serco / Northlink who should be chartering planes to get folk home for Christmas after all its there ships that are stuck in harbour due to weather no body can do a thing about..

Good on you Tesco keep up the good work dispite all this negativity

Maybe Aberdeen Harbour should be chartering planes for their Shetland passengers (and laying on coaches for their Orkney ones) since they have steadfastly refused to invest enough in the harbour entrance to make it, if not weatherproof, then at least more resistant to common enough winds.

Hey, I am not sure about using public funds as Paul has described them in supplying a few folk, who are not in a 3rd world country and subject to starvation, deprivation and disease who already have enough resources to feed themselves with out the glitter stuck on letting Serco charter planes.

The Co-Op would not be able to afford it.

If Tesco want to burn up 20,000 kg of fuel to get you stuff that has been stuck on lorries, so be it. I would guess it would be about cutting losses. After all, the store ordered the produce and will have to pay for it.

I do wish the crew of the plane a safe passage as they risk all to supply Tesco.

Maybe Aberdeen Harbour should be chartering planes for their Shetland passengers (and laying on coaches for their Orkney ones) since they have steadfastly refused to invest enough in the harbour entrance to make it, if not weatherproof, then at least more resistant to common enough winds.

I blame the Council.... :wink:

tesco is only doing this because there is a market for the food, panic buying to the max just noo, or is it folk is just dat used we getting stuff when they want, they have turned very un organised, lets face it this weather has been forecast from monday, folk should realise that if they checked the forecast (windguru and magic seaweed is good) they would gotten there shopping sooner and the same goes for tesco and the coop should have had more food trailers shipped up on thursday, but bravo to tesco for getting the plane up!!

as far as the ferrys sailing it just no weather for them to do it and would be silly to do so! the north sea is no place to be with this weather whatever boat,ship your in, specially the ships the have at northlink, poor poor design!

enjoy your shopping and have a good xmas!!!