Hercules freight plane

1979 Sheltie

Nimrods used to practice approaches into Sumburgh, don't believe any ever landed though?

They still do from time to time. If I mind right I think Sumburgh could take them, theoretically anyway, and while some didn't leave much of an airgap between themselves and the tar, I can't remember ever being aware of one having actually made contact with it.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's an island. We are surrounded by the sea. The sea gets rough. Boats can't sail. Tesco done a good thing. For those who write on here from far away should see the sea at the moment. Then you would know why Tesco done such a thing. There are other charters fetching up fresh provisions today for another customer so don't knock Tesco. They are not the only ones.

By the way, thanks for all your praises for us rampies at Sumburgh who had to work out in that weather yesterday & probably today to unload all the planes. Oh sorry, we have not received any praises yet.......

Nimrods used to practice approaches into Sumburgh, don't believe any ever landed though?

They still do from time to time. If I mind right I think Sumburgh could take them, theoretically anyway, and while some didn't leave much of an airgap between themselves and the tar, I can't remember ever being aware of one having actually made contact with it.

Are they not all scrapped now? I seem to think there was a picture of a Nimrod on the runway in the deparure lounge at Sumburgh. But i might be wrong.

Guest Lone Wolf

As usual the same people on here who slag people off are having a go at Tescos for trying there best to get fresh supplies on there shelves..Good on Tesco for trying its going to cost them a lot off money to charter that plane..

Loganair have laid on extra flights to help get people home well done them

:lik:

Guest Lone Wolf
There's a lot of talk on this thread about 'Tesco' , the faceless corporate juggernaut. But I think it's worth remembering that the success of this whole operation is probably thanks to a few local staff who came up with the idea and managed to get approval at such short notice. And not forgetting the local staff now working the extra hours to get all this stuff on the shelves.

There's a lot of talk on this thread about 'Tesco' , the faceless corporate juggernaut. But I think it's worth remembering that the success of this whole operation is probably thanks to a few local staff who came up with the idea and managed to get approval at such short notice. And not forgetting the local staff now working the extra hours to get all this stuff on the shelves.

Well said :)

A really brilliant idea from Tesco and all praise to the local staff, and the airport staff for making it happen.

As for folk on here saying that there is plenty food in some of the local shops - well, that is fine and good, but I bet those same folk wouldn't welcome hoardes of Lerwick folk heading out into the country districts and clearing those shelves too?

For many Lerwick folk the only option is to use Lerwick shops!

Very glad we have Tesco and the Coop in Lerwick - not everyone has the luxury of being able to pay more to keep a local corner shop open!

Just saying...

It's an island. We are surrounded by the sea. The sea gets rough. Boats can't sail. Tesco done a good thing. For those who write on here from far away should see the sea at the moment. Then you would know why Tesco done such a thing. There are other charters fetching up fresh provisions today for another customer so don't knock Tesco. They are not the only ones.

By the way, thanks for all your praises for us rampies at Sumburgh who had to work out in that weather yesterday & probably today to unload all the planes. Oh sorry, we have not received any praises yet.......

So sorry sludgegulper, Du's right, we forget that the whole process involves a lot of folk, some who have to be out in this horrendous weather. I've not even walked da dug yet, and he's no happy!

Many thanks to you and your colleagues and anyone else who are involved, your hard work is appreciated :D

better get sir bob geldof to put on a concert for shetland

Ahahaha, :lol: yeh, he could use Shetland's "brilliant" music and musicians!!.

Just imagine - a whole day of whining folk songs and traditonal/fiddle music that all sounds the same.

You would have to pay me to listen to it and even then I'm not sure I could do it.

No wait a minute, on second thoughts I'll pay them to keep quiet :shock: