BT Christmas present ?

Grandpa

I saw the pre Christmas publicity regarding the higher speeds available. I use BT Broadband via a B Homehub3.

I live a few hundred yards from the Lerwick exchange (assuming it hasnt moved from along past the big kirk)

The BT speedchecker continues to show the line speed as 8.13 as before and at max I get 7+ and sometimes a lot less.

Does anybody know if I have to do anything to get the higher speed or will it come automatically ?

As a BT customer on the Lerwick exchange, had an email from them this morning saying

“On 04-Jan-13, we’ll be upgrading your local phone exchange. That means you’ll get a stronger, more reliable broadband connection. (It might make it a bit faster, too.)â€

For those affected, they say it will mean both phone and broadband being off for a few minutes while the upgrade is carried out. Also it will then take some time for the line to settle down afterwards, up to ten days, before gaining the full benefit of the upgrade.

• 2 months later...
For anyone connected to the Cunningsbrough exchange we would quite happily swap places with those still using the Lerwick exchange at the old speeds -8.3, try downloading or watching anything with speeds of 0.5 and it costs us just the same.

I live in Cunningsburgh and get a connection that is pretty much top speed - 8mb down all the time. I'm about 1 mile from the exchange - do you live a piece away? If you arent much farther away it may be that the cable along your road is damaged or the internal phone network in your house has a problem. Might be worth checking, I've been using since it was switched on (8 years ago?) and it only dips for me when there are Shetland-wide issues.

Gutted - was so close to going back to BT a few months back, but opted for another provider after I finally escaped from Sky Broadband. The new provider is much better, but they won't be supporting ADSL2, so I won't benefit from the upgrades. Plus I'm now tied in to a 12 month contract. Fail.

• 2 weeks later...

Is this song and dance over ADSL2 really worth a damn, line stability has never been a real problem and hinderance (for me anyway) in the same way unworkable low speeds have been and still are.

Personally I couldn't give two hoots whether I get ADSL2 or not, however if anyone starts talking about increasing download speed by at least 200-300% and preferably between 300% and 700% I will start caring.

Is this song and dance over ADSL2 really worth a damn, line stability has never been a real problem and hinderance (for me anyway) in the same way unworkable low speeds have been and still are.

Personally I couldn't give two hoots whether I get ADSL2 or not, however if anyone starts talking about increasing download speed by at least 200-300% and preferably between 300% and 700% I will start caring.

It's certainly been worth it for me. My speed went up by 300% and my price dropped by 60%

Have you been upgraded yet, Ghostie?

One way to tell is to run a Speedtest check. If your upload speed has increased from the ADSL max of 0.35 to around 0.75ish then you have been. If not, then start hassling your ISP. :wink:

^ Well, if it can result in speed increases measured in hundreds of percent, I'm all for it, but that's not how BT have primarily"sold" the upgrade (e.g. "That means you’ll get a stronger, more reliable broadband connection. (It might make it a bit faster, too.)").

As for being upgraded, from current speeds I doubt it, but I'll check later. I wouldn't expect we have been down here in the boonies yet though, we usually get forgotten about (probably intentionally :wink:).