Blog - Shetland Pony Everything 2013

• 2 weeks later...
The gansey wearing ponies have inspired a German company to set up knitting tours of the Northern Isles.

I still think they naff. It's not just the Shetland ponies being dressed up, it's the whole "let's humanise animals" that gets me. If a horse needs a rug or a dog needs a waterproof coat, fine, but dressing dogs/cats/any animal up in 'fancy dress' is just plain wrong. They ain't a blooming circus act. It's disrespectful to treat animals in such a way.

I still think they naff. It's not just the Shetland ponies being dressed up, it's the whole "let's humanise animals" that gets me. If a horse needs a rug or a dog needs a waterproof coat, fine, but dressing dogs/cats/any animal up in 'fancy dress' is just plain wrong. They ain't a blooming circus act. It's disrespectful to treat animals in such a way.

It was just a bit of fun. The ponies wore their cardigans for approximately 10 minutes per photo location. There was no "disrespect" to any animal. The ponies were rewarded with endless amounts of horse feed on the ground and enjoyed the attention and day out. "It was all done in the best possible taste" to quote Kenny Everett by trained and qualified riding instructors who knew what they were doing.

If this promotes Shetland or encourages visitors to come here and appreciate and enjoy our unique location, then all to the good.

The ponies are only humanised in your mind. Not in theirs.

It was just a bit of fun. The ponies wore their cardigans for approximately 10 minutes per photo location. There was no "disrespect" to any animal. The ponies were rewarded with endless amounts of horse feed on the ground and enjoyed the attention and day out. "It was all done in the best possible taste" to quote Kenny Everett by trained and qualified riding instructors who knew what they were doing.

If this promotes Shetland or encourages visitors to come here and appreciate and enjoy our unique location, then all to the good.

A bit of fun? I beg to differ. It was a commercial transaction. A tourist advert. Having met Kenny Everett on more than one occasion, if he was alive to today, I don't think he'd be in agreement with you. If anything, he'd probably say how naff it was too. So, we're so caring towards ponies, are we? Right now there's a classified ad for someone, really trying to re-home a Shetland pony - but no one wants to know.

I like Shetland ponies. I like Doreen's knitting. But together, with a ganzie on a pony - absolutely not. Is this really how Shetlanders want their islands to be promoted? I'm not a Shetlander. In fact, wouldn't it be fair to say the only Shetlanders involved in that advert were the actual ponies?

We have a difference of opinion; it be boring if everyone agreed on everything all the time.

Awh come on lifes to short not to have a bit of sillyness every now and again and it's not as if the ponies were in any distress. As a Shetlander I thought it was a bit of harmless fun which will do Shetland no harm. It certainly made me smile :D

"It was all in the best possible taste" :wink:

A bit of fun? I beg to differ. It was a commercial transaction. A tourist advert. Having met Kenny Everett on more than one occasion, if he was alive to today, I don't think he'd be in agreement with you. If anything, he'd probably say how naff it was too. So, we're so caring towards ponies, are we? Right now there's a classified ad for someone, really trying to re-home a Shetland pony - but no one wants to know.

I like Shetland ponies. I like Doreen's knitting. But together, with a ganzie on a pony - absolutely not. Is this really how Shetlanders want their islands to be promoted? I'm not a Shetlander. In fact, wouldn't it be fair to say the only Shetlanders involved in that advert were the actual ponies?

We have a difference of opinion; it be boring if everyone agreed on everything all the time.

Jesus H Christ.

Is there any thread safe from your loudmouthed, self centered bullpoop?

Why is it you cannot resist stuffing your tedious and righteous sharn down everyone's throat at every opportunity? I can't be the only one pished off with your endless hijacking of perfectly innocuous threads.

Back off FFS.