Promote Shetland

ll

Oh Speccy, Speccy......

No-one said I was anybody's spokesperson. I merely bothered to raise a concern which I'm sure is shared by many Shetlanders.

I'd bet my last pound that visitscotland were well aware that the thistle logo would be out of place in Shetland but they did nothing to address the issue.

And if visitscotland's relationship is so great with Shetland why did many of the tourism providers in Shetland break away to form their own organisation?, and why did the SIC withdraw their funding and set up Promote Shetland?.

Oh Speccy, Speccy......

No-one said I was anybody's spokesperson. I merely bothered to raise a concern which I'm sure is shared by many Shetlanders.

I'd bet my last pound that visitscotland were well aware that the thistle logo would be out of place in Shetland but they did nothing to address the issue.

And if visitscotland's relationship is so great with Shetland why did many of the tourism providers in Shetland break away to form their own organisation?, and why did the SIC withdraw their funding and set up Promote Shetland?.

You said you complained "Unfortunately, visitscotland have clearly shown that they are unwilling to listen to Shetland."

So, you acted on behalf of all of Shetland...

Can you prove that the thistle logo was so unpopular in Shetland?

Promote Shetland is all incumbent, that is, as with every area have similar sites and organisations to attract business and visits. Why are sites still promoted on the Visit Scotland literature if they have broken away?

Have i missed something? where is the evidence it irritates a lot of people? so far i only know of one person who is irritated by this. it is it worth spending lots of money to please one person?

Two if you include me.

As someone has said, it's another indicator of a centralised mindset. It says "Shetland is Scotland". I'd sooner see a cheesy horned Viking helmet than The Weed on the signs.

Ask on Caithness.org about the proposed introduction of Gaelic roadsigns in Caithness........ a county where the vast majority of place names are Norse....

Same disease. An effort to Tartanise the whole of Scotchland and anywhere else within striking distance.

Jeeves! Break out the spraypaint! :P

What irrates me is the bloody spray paint.

Regardless of the opinions of a few folk who are taking a hardline on which symbol should be on a sign - this really isn't THAT important. What is a really problem is that some morons have sprayed graffiti on road sign which everyone that passes then has to suffer.

Shetland is pretty much free from graffiti apart from on the signs that are put up so that visitors to our islands can recognise a point of interest.

The only thing that matters regarding which symbol is on the signs is whether tourists understand it's purpose. If there is evidence of people seeing a picture of a thistle and NOT connecting that to a place to visit, then fine, change it for something else.

The extremely childish and pathethic spray painting of the signs is unsightly, uneffective and stops people from spotting places to visit.

Grow up.

Is the proof not there to be seen from the number that are already painted over?

No, not really. Could have been done by one determined person during a week of their summer holidays. I just wish they could cover up the thistle with a brown paint that more or less matched the rest of the sign.

Is the proof not there to be seen from the number that are already painted over?

No, not really. Could have been done by one determined person during a week of their summer holidays.

Yes, I suppose so, and suspect a relatively small group of people have done the painting. But it is also an indication of a wider dissatisfaction.

• 2 weeks later...

I remember suggesting having one of those life size killer whale moulds erected at Sumburgh head(in the vacinity of the car park). I don't want the area to become tacky but can you imagine what peoples' reactions would be, especially the bairns?.

There will be lifesize Killer Whale and Minke Whale heads in the new vistor centre.