Promote Shetland

ll

Assuming the population of Shetland to be 22000,then this £400,000 required to" Promote Shetland."would to me seem money well spent at less than £20 a head.

Just the price of a meager meal and look what we get in return.

Someone somewhere has got this seriously wrong.

Do they perhaps work in the roads department also ! 

Approx £1100 per day, three staff - apparently, and the only visible return for it is a website???

And some pretty damp tourists... :roll:

In all honesty, as "Promote Shetland" doesn't seem to directly benefit the majority of people on the island, I wonder if the money might have been betterspent elsewhere. 

Bus waiting rooms, pensioners day centres, public toilets etc. come to mind...  I mean, why doesn't the Amenity Trust provide more in the way of "amenities"?

But surely if this publicity is creating more tourism,bringing folk into Shetland this must be beneficial  to the Shetland community.

Hotels,B&Bs,cafes , restaurants ,bars, taxis ,buses ect ect.

Obviously not everyone will benefit directly but we probably all will indirectly if it helps to keep some of the smaller companies in business.

More tourists requiring  public amenities could put pressure on the appropriate authorities to maintain services that might otherwise be cut.

^ Not necessarily saying your wrong, but the telly series has probably done a hell of a lot more and didn't cost us a penny. The Norrona had a far greater visible and immediate impact for the short time it ran, granted it cost an arm and a leg, but it was always something lingering on the back burner that might have been resurrected, especially now with Brexit potentially offering opportunities for greater ease of travel and trade - Had our recently departed (un)lamented "great white chief" not taken it upon himself some months back that selling our shares back to the company was the sensible thing to do - right on the back of them paying their first dividend ever.

Way to go to throw money away - sit on a worthless asset for around a decade, and no sooner than it starts showing a return and starting to gain value, and its potential value to us in the new European/Scandanaviam order still unclear - unload it like suddenly its burning your hands. Twat.

Approx £1100 per day, three staff - apparently, and the only visible return for it is a website???

And some pretty damp tourists... :roll:

In all honesty, as "Promote Shetland" doesn't seem to directly benefit the majority of people on the island, I wonder if the money might have been betterspent elsewhere. 

Bus waiting rooms, pensioners day centres, public toilets etc. come to mind...  I mean, why doesn't the Amenity Trust provide more in the way of "amenities"?

If they can ever see their way to bringing the public toilets back or providing somewhere to wait for a bus, neither of which we should have lost in the first place, it will possibly give Promote Shetland something worthwhile to promote and justify the continued existence of the Charitable Trust.

Suppose we could make do with Visit Scotland which everyone else does. Don't think Orkney has an equivalent and they seem to be doing OK. There were a few schools that faced the axe for just £50k savings, so why Shetland needs to run this duplicated service at £400k is beyond me if we're hard up. Some of the main accommodation providers do not support Promote Shetland, despite making very healthy profits. Another aim of Promote Shetland is to encourage Shetland as a place to relocate to, which likely does not help keep house prices any lower. If SIC looks to grant all this opportunistic wind-farm planning applications to companies with purely speculative interest, I think tourism will likely suffer as a result. Is there still a development department in the SIC -with no money to spend? Was a ridiculous amount that the promote shetland logo cost to 'design', but don't think there was hardly anyone that was endorsed to use it.

Edited by ll

It appears that another voluntary organisation has been shafted by the SIC. 

Are you saying Promote Shetland are a voluntary organisation?  If not, who?

They are run by the Shetland Amenity Trust which is a voluntary organisation, ie not a sole trader, limited company or government body.

They are run by the Shetland Amenity Trust which is a voluntary organisation, ie not a sole trader, limited company or government body.

I've always been under the impression the Amenity Trust was a registered charity with paid employees. Okay, folk maybe volunteer piecemeal to participate in certain Amenity Trust short term initiatives, such as the cleanup, but i wasn't aware they maintained a signed up team of permanent volunteers to be called upon when needed, in the same way as say the lifeboat or some rural fire stations do, which is usually what is understood to be the typical definition of 'voluntary organisation'.

Edited by Ghostrider

I've always been under the impression the Amenity Trust was a registered charity with paid employees. Okay, folk maybe volunteer piecemeal to participate in certain Amenity Trust short term initiatives, such as the cleanup, but i wasn't aware they maintained a signed up team of permanent volunteers to be called upon when needed, in the same way as say the lifeboat or some rural fire stations do, which is usually what is understood to be the typical definition of 'voluntary organisation'.

Shetland Amenity Trust is a charity registered in Scotland, No SCO17505. It is part funded by Shetland Charitable Trust.

Except isn't it the case that Promote Shetland is a brand owned by the SIC?  It took me a while to twig.