British Telecom ADSL2 Email

Apple

Hello,

On 07-Jan-13, we’ll be upgrading your local phone exchange. That means you’ll get a stronger, more reliable broadband connection. (It might make it a bit faster, too.)

What will happen on the day?

At some point before 6pm, we’ll switch off your broadband and phone for a few minutes. They should restart again automatically when we’ve finished the upgrade. But if they don’t, just turn your BT Home Hub off and on again. If you’re not using your BT Home Hub or BT supplied hub-router at the moment, we recommend you reconnect it to get the best out of your broadband. It’ll also help us fix problems if any crop up.

When will the upgrade be finished?

Although the technical stuff will all happen on 07-Jan-13, your line will need some time to settle down. That’ll take up to ten days. Your broadband might slow down or even stop now and again. But don’t worry, that’s normal.

The best thing to do is leave your BT Home Hub on and use your broadband as much as you like. Then your line should settle fairly quickly.

Will it affect my BT Vision?

Only if you’re actually watching an On Demand programme during the upgrade. Then you’ll see an error message.

After the upgrade, everything should restart automatically. But if you get an error message, restart your BT Vision box manually. To do that, just hold down the power button for about six seconds.

Any recordings you’ve saved or scheduled will still be there.

How can I get BT Infinity?

BT Infinity is our superfast fibre broadband. If we can offer it to you, we’ll let you know in a separate email or letter. Or you can check for yourself at bt.com/infinity

Anything else?

If there’s anything else connected to your phone or broadband line, you might need to restart them after the upgrade.

Where can I get more information?

At bt.com/networkupgrade. You can get in touch with us from there too.

Thanks for choosing BT,

Warren Buckley

Managing Director, Customer Service

Different BT users have been getting this email with different dates. So while BT now seems to be in the middle of this upgrade, I guess any individual user will only be upgraded if they have been notified by email. Anyone outwith Lerwick had this email yet?

Anyone outwith Lerwick had this email yet?

Isn't it only the Lerwick exchange that is getting the upgrade? Only good thing for everyone else is that the new link has done away with the microwave fade problems.

That's my understanding too, HH.

wow you must live really close to the exchange, my line was upgraded yesterday and there hasnt been a huge amount of difference its gone from 5-6 Mbps to about 8.2 Mbps while thats great I was expecting it to double to at least 12 Mbps.

I live near the old north road area in Lerwick by the way.