Tescos -Problem with buying electrical items

Aaron Foord

George Robertsons at the Hillhead in Lerwick. Right opposite the old Golden Coach restaurant and same street as the Library. I've bought plenty from them over the years and always more than happy with their service.

Thank you - I guess sometimes its worth paying a bit more. I will check them out.

At this stage, however, Tesco have no idea as to whether or not said telly/dvd is knackered due to faulty components or because of the way in which it has been used; for all they know you could have poured water in it!

On the contrary, their service department have already authorised the exchange. You cannot just 'take stuff back' to Tesco without contacting their service department first and getting an authorisation number for the repair.

Well if that's the case then it reinforces the point I made earlier - why contact Customer Services instead of going back to the Service Department with whom you previously had a conversation with?

Guest Lone Wolf

Aaron Ford. Sounds like Tesco have done as much as they physically could have done for you, although I understand your frustration. I'd have probably been well p'eed off with all the hassle. Just one of those things.

I bought a Technika portable TV from Tesco a few months ago; wish I'd spent a bit more and got a better make though. It works, but the sound quality is dreadful. Fortunately I don't use it much. If they ever offered me a refund I'd be out of the shop with the cash before I'd finished counting :lol:

If the product was faulty, from my recollection, if you were told to return the item, then you are entitled to claim for any expense incurred. After all, it was not your fault. I would check that bit out. I have in the past claimed for time off work to return faulty goods. It may have changed though, but well worth finding out and quoting next time.

Funny, less than 0.2% of the Shetland Public.

There is a little info here.

http://www.findlaw.co.uk/law/consumer/consumer_protection/138.html

If you have to deliver the faulty goods either by delivery agent or yourself, you can claim these expenses back. Any retailer would know that. Tell them you will be claiming. If you are entitled to a replacement then that should be done, at cost to the supplier. So, if you are entitled to either a replacement or money back, claim for the additional costs to replace like for like.

As long as you mention it when you correspond again. They are obliged, unless they can prove the item was not faulty.

Unless you believe you have to accept lesser rights because of where you live. Seems to be the thoughts here.

Imagine what the comments would be if it were the council that sold you the TeeVee :lol:

The other route would be to try the manufacturer for a replacement (if it's not a "Tesco" or "no name" brand) - many online retailers actually insist you deal with the manufacturer direct for warranty replacements now. Many have excellent return departments, and sometimes pay for collection.

- many online retailers actually insist you deal with the manufacturer direct for warranty replacements now.
which I believe is a fudge on their part to reduce costs - the contract is between you and the retailer. That is the law. It may end up being less hassle all round to deal direct with the manufacturer (doubt you'd get your phone costs to malaysia or korea refunded though!), but you can often get a reluctant customer service dept. to buck up their ideas by dropping "trading standards" into the conversation. If in doubt as to getting proper recourse, I'd suggest doing a little research on the moneysavingexpert website where there's more "rights" advice than you could shake a very mucky stick at :wink:

In this day and age it pays to go with a well respected online retailer known for good prices and great customer service. We recently had a new, competitively priced, washing machine delivered, fitted and the old dead one taken away within 5 hours of splashing the cash. Cannae fault them!

Haha I did laugh when I opened the link, probably not what most people were expecting. Excellent post, can't understand how the OP hasn't heard of them, theyre adverts are everywhere, everyweek!

Back in the day if you would have bought a new telly from a one of the now defunct local electrical outlets and it had packed up even 1 month after buying it then they would have taken it in for repair , with no replacement offered , or refund.

And "If" they managed to fix it you may have got it back after a month or two....if you were lucky !!! Take the money and run.