House/Croft Prices Falling?

papastour

The School is not closed it is classed as Mothballed, as Papa Stour has no children of school age at the moment.

From what I hear of the Senior Schools accomodation many Island children benefit from meeting a few more friends in their senior years, but enjoy going back home at the weekends and appreciate family life again.

I am sure nobody would buy a 120 acre croft with buildings and just use it as a holiday home.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Having now spoken to a few possible buyers for Papa Stour property, the main reason they inform me for not purchasing is the school is closed, and the ability to get on and off the Island is very limiting. More ferry trips is needed.

Do any other remote Islands have the same problem?

Having now spoken to a few possible buyers for Papa Stour property, the main reason they inform me for not purchasing is the school is closed, and the ability to get on and off the Island is very limiting. More ferry trips is needed.

Do any other remote Islands have the same problem?

School mothballed since there are no pupils to teach.  As for the ferry I suspect Papa Stour has more ferry trips per week per head of population than any of the other islands.  Like it or not SIC is having to make cuts in spending to balance the budget and Papa Stour will have to bear its share.

While it is a good thing to investigate cost cutting in ALL areas of the community. Whoever is in charge of the cost cutting has to be honest and look at the bigger picture, and make a informed decision based on the facts and the long term effect, not just the mantra of " Everything must be closed or cut". 

As for Papa Stour sharing the cuts, I am not sure it has much left to share, we do not have Swimming Pools, Leisure Centres, Cinemas, Museums, Community Halls, School, Post Office,Community Skips, or any subsidised Wind Turbine. or Sports Team needing annual grants.

Papa Stour has been left behind in terms of having the begging bowl out. 

What Island is next to be cut and cast off? 

As for Papa Stour sharing the cuts, I am not sure it has much left to share, we do not have Swimming Pools, Leisure Centres, Cinemas, Museums, Community Halls, School, Post Office,Community Skips, or any subsidised Wind Turbine. or Sports Team needing annual grants.

Papa Stour has been left behind in terms of having the begging bowl out.

What Island is next to be cut and cast off?

And here was me thinking that's what makes it special and what attracts people to want live there.

Edited by owre-weel

Skerries is an odd place. My first thought on my first visit there was what was the point of putting a housing estate on an island? Perhaps there are fewer people than there seems, but as far as cost per head for providing services goes, I bet my guess of Papa Stour, Foula and Fetlar being in the top 3 won't be far wrong, Fetlar probably being higher than Foula.

• 2 weeks later...

when we moved to Fetlar the school was closed due to lack of children. our son had no school for his last term as it was not reopened just for him-admittedly we did not push it but as a parent I would not risk taking a family to Papa Stour..... wonder when the junior boarding department is being opened?

• 1 month later...