Israel vs. Middle Eastern Arab states

• Replies 749
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes what do suicide bombers have to do with the muslim faith Malachy? Please explain why you made this association from this joke! :D

OK its a bit naughty playing on the confusion between Aljazeera.net and Aljazeera.com but there you go, thats what happens in jokes.

Flame on! :D

A story is told of a Jewish man who was riding on the subway reading an Arab newspaper. A friend of his, who happened to be riding in the same subway car, noticed this strange phenomenon. Very upset, he approached the newspaper reader "Moshe, have you lost your mind? Why are you reading an Arab newspaper?"

Moshe replied "I used to read the Jewish newspaper, but what did I find? Jews being persecuted, Israel being attacked, Jews disappearing through assimilation and intermarriage, Jews living in poverty. So I switched to the Arab newspaper. Now what do I find? Jews own all the banks, Jews control the media, Jews are all rich and powerful, Jews rule the world. The news is so much better."

I didn't know whether to put this in this thread or the media bias one. I hope everyone finds it, it made me laugh.

You can hardly say it was Malachy that drew the connection after all Al Jazeera is aimed towards the Arab Muslim world. I don't think there should be any issues about humor in any form, well apart from how weak that joke was.

you can hardly say it was Malachy that drew the connection

There is a smiley after I said Malachy made the connection, to indicate tongue in cheek

I also pointed out it relies on the confusion between aljazeera.com which is pretty extreme in its views (in my opinion) and aljazeera.net which is (as was pointed out by peeriebryan) as good a mainstream news service as any and indeed not ‘the mouthpiece of Muslim terrorists’.

And as you say is aimed towards the Arab Muslim world, (although lets not forget so is aljazeera.com)

I couldn’t really make the joke directly about AL.com because as far as I know they don’t have a satellite broadcasting channel.

I couldn’t really make the joke directly about AL.com because as far as I know they don’t have a satellite broadcasting channel.

I'm probably getting the wrong end of the contextual stick here, but Al Jazeera are on Sky 514, if that's what you are querying. I apologise for my interuption if i have, indeed, misinterpreted things. :wink:

• 3 weeks later...

And here's some background to this image. It doesn't actually say to Lebanon from Israel with love in the picture. It looks like these are being directed at Nasrallah, the Hezbollah leader. Please read from this link.

http://www.boingboing.net/2006/07/18/image_of_the_day_chi.html

Check out this cuddly character from a place where indoctrination and hate is taught to children at an institutional level

http://engineblockers.googlepages.com/mickey.jpg/mickey-full.jpg

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/6257594.stm[/i]

Yes there is much hatred fed to childrens minds on every side

That is not accurate.

The point is you ain't claiming no moral equivalence between how Israel educates its children and how the Palestinians (and a lot of the arab world) educate theirs. And I'm using educate in a very loose way when it comes to the latter on this issue.

I'm not claiming any moral high ground. I think you're right about what you say about letting kids write messages onto weapons.

If you want, fire up google and try and dig up any pictures, video or testimony about Israeli children being taught to hate (especially in schools or the media) and I'll do the same for the Arab world. Who do you think is going to end up with a whole pile of gruesome acts of child abuse in the guise of education and who do you think is going to end up reversing the image in Photoshop you originally posted and claiming its a differnt picture?

Yes there is much hatred fed to childrens minds on every side I'm sure...

I have never seen evidence that Israeli children are taught murder based on religion, so you'll have to excuse my cynicism when your statement suggests equal guilt. Palestinian children being brainwashed in this way is fairly common if youtube is anything to go by. A search for "palestine children" bring several distinct results in the first page.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=palestine+children&search=

See my sig. :wink:

This is a site that takes an anti-israel position from the outset. I can't really accept an article as factual from a site which has other delightfully objective articles in their 'must read' section , such as;

It’s not security – it’s land, stupid!

From one illegal settlement to another

israel speeds up building in Golan

israel moves wall 5km east - into Palestine

israel ‘spits in America’s face’ as Rice visits

Welcome to Squatter Nation. Now, Obey!

israel’s fabled “right to existâ€

Oil & Water: israel and Democracy don’t mix

What if every israeli converted to Islam?

Zionism is the key to israel’s destruction

A World without Cancer, A World without israel

Try again. If you can get Daniel Bar-Tal's paper (is the title even cited?) and hopefully some peer reviews of it I will be interested.

Simply taking an article from a site with an anti-Israel bias (which first appeared on The Washington Report site, again with an anti-Israel bias) by a journalist [who may be married to an official in the PLO?] isn't really enough is it?

Where are the actual studies that were mentioned? A lot of what is in your quote is anecdotal. I'm not saying its not true, I'm saying its not enough.

I'll email Mrs Gibber's cousin's husband who is a secondary teacher in Israel. Very left wing and intelligent. He honestly would be the first person to criticise Israeli education if he though it encouraged hatred. Be nice to have his thoughts on this subject.