ATOS

....and being a snitch grassing folk up left right and centre is a admirable and honourable trait then is it? It really will help your social standing and possibly your future career prospects if it becomes known you subscribe to that route, won't it!?!

I am sure that moaning about a situation, but not doing anything about it is also an admirable trait.

With that in mind, your underworld code of honour is as crass.

I do not see how this will have any bearing on being a person who digs holes for a living, unless you think that revenge would be right, perhaps, an eye for an eye, started by one persons selfishness. the world will soon be blind if we adopted that now.

If that is the case, then I am sure you will turn a blind eye to any crime for fear of the "code"

Alas, the point is, stop moaning unless you are going to do something about it.

I am sure that moaning about a situation, but not doing anything about it is also an admirable trait.

Well, if this entire thread isn't "moaning about a situation, but not doing anything", I can't imagine what is.

With that in mind, your underworld code of honour is as crass.

Underworld?? Its human nature Peat, human nature. Unless of course to the sheep who've been nobbled to be big brother's automatons.

I do not see how this will have any bearing on being a person who digs holes for a living, unless you think that revenge would be right, perhaps, an eye for an eye, started by one persons selfishness. the world will soon be blind if we adopted that now.

If that is the case, then I am sure you will turn a blind eye to any crime for fear of the "code"

I don't see what bearing this has on what I posted, or even to the thread topic. Can we have a translation please.

Alas, the point is, stop moaning unless you are going to do something about it.

No Peat, the point is a legion of civil servants are well paid to regulate, monitor and police the benefits system, paid for by the public. The public are not paid to do that job, and those civil servants who are paid to do it need to be made to do their jobs properly. Not encourage and make the public feel "obligated" to go around stabbing all and sundry in the back, when they only have access to limited information concerning their "victims".

That is your opinion, of which we know much about. It is sad that you missed parts and how they were related, future career prospect can be affected by reporting a crime, how will that affect me?

It is not human nature I am afraid, otherwise we would not report crimes for fear of being labelled.

As we can see, civil servants are forced to do things they would not normally enjoy. Enacting these draconian policies that are causing wide spread hardship. From what I remember about you posting on here you are fortunate enough not to rely on the system, yet we are not really sure if what you say is correct, just because you tell us it is means nothing.

I fail to see your link about well paid civil servants and this thread. The argument was GBC was complaining about folk he knows are fiddling the system, you have your normal rant about council staff and other civil servants, yet, you will sit there and do nothing.

As we can see, civil servants are forced to do things they would not normally enjoy.

They don't have to do the job, they can leave.

From what I remember about you posting on here you are fortunate enough not to rely on the system, yet we are not really sure if what you say is correct, just because you tell us it is means nothing.

Oh here we go again. I forgot that nobody is entitled to post anything if it doesn't agree with your opinion.

The argument was GBC was complaining about folk he knows are fiddling the system, you have your normal rant about council staff and other civil servants, yet, you will sit there and do nothing.

You know sweet FA as to what Ghostie does, yet you continue to assume.

The OP appears to be unhappy if anyone dare to disagree with them and resorts to personal attacks. I think Trout has a point and to that end, I'm sure the OP could find plenty of places in the cloud offering archive facilities.

They don't have to do the job, they can leave.

Civil servant is a generic term used to describe anyone who works within the civil service. Therefore a civil servant is a job description and cannot leave.

I forgot that nobody is entitled to post anything if it doesn't agree with your opinion.

You keep saying that, alas, I enjoy folk posting, it certainly passes the time in an enjoyable way.

You know sweet FA as to what Ghostie does, yet you continue to assume.

Yet in other posts you have told me I know this man, yet I do not, the only photograph I have seen of him is on a dating web site, and I did not recognise the face. We can only go by what is posted here, generally, we have to take it as fact, yet any of it could be fictional. What is posted here however is facts as reported by the media, and ourselves, it is difficult to believe someone when they have a mistrust of anything that is written. A problem that has compounded the acts described in the links and how they are trivialised. Basically, such a mistrust of these reports belittles the suffering contained in them. The lies that have been spun by this Neoliberalist regime are slowly unfolding and revealing the actual campaign which has been at the heart of the ruling party for decades and with little concern of the costs to folk. As policies are exposed for what they really are, it is little wonder there will be more scrutiny. Policies by the same group are revealing themselves to be just about making money, not for the general populus but lining their own pockets. It has happened with all types of Government, but this particular one is hell bent on using innocent folk as their bartering tools.

The OP appears to be unhappy if anyone dare to disagree with them and resorts to personal attacks. I think Trout has a point and to that end, I'm sure the OP could find plenty of places in the cloud offering archive facilities.

Why do you not want the posts on here? Regardless of what others think, this I is the perfect place. The simple reason why, is it would reach far more folk on Shetland. Sharing knowledge and opinions is what sites like this are all about. For some, this is serious, not some jolly jape.

Also, these are only links, you do not have to read them or even look at the thread.

That is your opinion, of which we know much about.

Touche, Peat.

It is sad that you missed parts and how they were related, future career prospect can be affected by reporting a crime, how will that affect me?

Which parts did I miss? And no Peat, its not all about you. My comment was made in general terms about the public in general. Also, try and read what is written and in context. Depending on where when and how, there are numerous allegations by individuals that they have had their future careers, social status or both destroyed by snitching. To cite the upper extreme of such things, there has been more than one high profile case which has been worldwide news in the recent past with the U.S. Govt. trying their damndest to reach the individuals across numerous international borders, or hadn't you noticed. That's the top layer, granted, but similar consequences tend to follow in diminishing proportion to the preceived seriousness of the whistleblowing involved wherever it happens.

It is not human nature I am afraid,....

Arguable point old boy, we can agree to differ.

....otherwise we would not report crimes for fear of being labelled.

Less to do with labels and more to do with actual practical repocussions I would say. Are you seriously trying to convince folk though, that all crimes are reported without a second thought, and that nobody thinks long and hard about the consequences for themselves before they say a thing. If so, time to check in with the real world.

As we can see, civil servants are forced to do things they would not normally enjoy.

Well they're clearly not being forced to police and enforce the regulations concerning benefits well enough if they're relying on snitches to do the leg work for them.

....yet we are not really sure if what you say is correct, just because you tell us it is means nothing.

A bit like you espousing the finer points of cone shuffling and sweeping up stray body parts from roadways, while giving every appearance of being the No. 1 authority on every highway regulation ever enacted, won't that be then Peat!?!

I fail to see your link about well paid civil servants and this thread.

Answered above, but for the sake of clarity. If the DWP relies and encourages snitches, then the well paid civil servants hired to police and regulate claims are not doing their jobs properly.

The argument was GBC was complaining about folk he knows are fiddling the system, you have your normal rant about council staff and other civil servants, yet, you will sit there and do nothing.

I never mentioned council staff this time (yet :wink: ), that's your invention. With all due respect, you have not the first clue what I may or may be doing about civil servants. There is more than one way to skin a cat, not all of us see becoming a councillor as doing something about anything, some might even say becoming one of those only exacerbates the problem.

Westminster must end silence on welfare reforms

Sun, 11/08/2013

The SNP have called on the Westminster Government to tear down its wall of silence on the impact of welfare reforms in Scotland after it emerged that the UK Government is consistently failing to provide information on the effect of its policies.

In a Parliamentary Answer to Jamie Hepburn MSP this week, it was revealed that despite requests from the Scottish Government, the UK Government has failed to produce any robust assessment of the cumulative impact of the welfare reforms it has introduced. This has left the Scottish Government in the position of having to develop its own picture of the cumulative impact of welfare reforms as the Westminster Government has proved unwilling to conduct its own analysis.

It was further revealed that the Scottish Government is not the only body to be denied information on the impact of welfare reforms, as answers to Parliamentary Questions at Westminster, responses to MSP correspondence and FOI requests have all been met with a refusal by UK Government departments to answer questions related to benefit changes and how they will affect the people of Scotland.

MSPs who attempt to write to the DWP on behalf of their constituents who are suffering as a result of Westminster’s unforgiving reforms are now being refused any information on the grounds that the issue related to their constituents’ matters is not devolved.

Meanwhile two Parliamentary Questions from Eilidh Whiteford MP to the Scotland Office asking them to disclose the number of meetings the department’s ministers have had with the Department of Work and Pensions to discuss the impact of the welfare reforms since they were introduced, were brushed off without a meaningful answer. An FOI request seeking similar information was also met with refusal after months of delay.

Mr Hepburn, who is the Deputy Convenor of the Welfare Reform Committee, said:

“Not only has the UK Government hammered disabled people, the young, pensioners and hard-working families, but it seems they haven’t even been responsible enough to assess the full impact of their unjust welfare reforms.

“Not to have undertaken any kind of robust assessment of the impact their changes are having is simply beyond belief and speaks volumes about how little the Westminster Government seems to care about the effect its actions are having.

“As if that wasn’t bad enough, they now appear to be trying to duck questions, whether they are from MPs, MSPs or members of the public. The wall of silence that the Westminster Government appears to be building is simply unacceptable. They cannot just duck their responsibilities because the questions are tough.

“The SNP Government has stepped in to protect people in Scotland by mitigating some of the worst of these reforms where we have been able to do so, but they are still having a devastating impact on many people.

“An independent Scotland would be able to set its own course when it comes to welfare and create a system that reflects the priorities and values of people in Scotland rather than those of a Tory Government determined to wield the axe on the most vulnerable.

“Only a Yes vote in next year’s referendum will give us the opportunity to do that and ensure that no more damage is done by Westminster’s mismanagement of the welfare system.â€

From here -

http://www.snp.org/media-centre/news/2013/aug/westminster-must-end-silence-welfare-reforms

My my.

The word 'article' in my post should have been plural.

Whilst you're creating a 'nice' archival thread it's somewhat lacking objectivity, no? By all means carry on but, if you have a campaign do please share.

Given your disingenuous somewhat snide manner i can only assume that you have no personal experience of Atos or know of anyone who is suffering as a result of their incompetency.

? eh? Your sterling interpretation there m8ty.

As I said previously, fire on with your copy and paste 'campaign' by all means. It might have some more effect should you put you own 'personal' '3rd party' spin to it too.

Stand back for a minute and have a ponder.

The real cost of benefits squeeze: £1,600 per family

Devastating research finds only one in eight households facing cuts will be able to find work

Welfare cuts that are meant to get the jobless back to work are driving down the living standards of hundreds of thousands of people who are in no position to find a job, an assessment of the Coalition’s welfare reforms says today.

The TUC’s general secretary, Frances O’Grady, said: “The Government has tried to sell its welfare reforms on the back of mistruths and nasty stereotypes. However, this research exposes what a devastating impact its policies are having on communities throughout the country.

“Ministers are not cracking down on cheats as they claim, but destroying the safety net that our welfare state is meant to provide for those who fall on hard times through no fault of their own. The Government’s attack on social security provision is not only hurting those unable to find work. Millions of working families are seeing an even bigger reduction in their financial support. Rather than addressing the shortage of jobs and affordable housing that are blighting many areas, ministers are slashing local authority budgets and expecting councils to deal with the fallout from their reforms.â€

Full article here -

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/the-real-cost-of-benefits-squeeze-1600-per-family-8756554.html

Did someone use the word "disingenuous" a short while back?

From the same article:

"Researchers, who have used data to forecast what will happen to the 1.18 million households where no one works, have calculated that 155,000 (roughly one in eight) can mitigate the effect of the cuts by finding work near their home, while another 115,000 will have the opportunity to move to more affordable housing."

Wonder if it's similar software that was used to predict climate change? They forecasted. They calculated. Tell me, what's Mystic's Meg's forecast on it then? :wink:

I am sure many of us writing here are aware of folk who have or are living off benefits when they could easily be doing some type of work.

I have no intention of grassing anybody up for this sort of thing, and that doesn't remove my right to voice my opinions on an anonymous chat forum.

Any way my view is that their should be thorough checks on a persons ability to work when they apply for benefits and it should be done with a good standard of decency and common sense.

Ideally more people should be earning a better standard of living so that they can save to support themselves when they eventually become to old or unfit for work.

I believe in smaller governments, less tax and local control in most domestic areas .

There should always be a free national health service and free childrens education until 18 years old.

Any other benefits should be subject to rigorous checks

I stand by what I said twice, that that this countries benefits are better than for most other countries / people /populations on this planet .There is no making my mind about it, as it is a fact.

Your claim that 10600 people have died before their time, where are the facts to prove this?

It is my understanding that life expectancies in this country and much of the developed world have increased signicicantly over the last 50 years.

Contrary to your claim that some people are dying before their time, most people now live beyond their natural time due to advances in healthcare and most importantly medication which control many of the problems of ageing.

I am sure many of us writing here are aware of folk who have or are living off benefits when they could easily be doing some type of work.

I have no intention of grassing anybody up for this sort of thing, and that doesn't remove my right to voice my opinions on an anonymous chat forum.

Any way my view is that their should be thorough checks on a persons ability to work when they apply for benefits and it should be done with a good standard of decency and common sense.

Ideally more people should be earning a better standard of living so that they can save to support themselves when they eventually become to old or unfit for work.

I believe in smaller governments, less tax and local control in most domestic areas .

There should always be a free national health service and free childrens education until 18 years old.

Any other benefits should be subject to rigorous checks

I stand by what I said twice, that that this countries benefits are better than for most other countries / people /populations on this planet .There is no making my mind about it, as it is a fact.

Your claim that 10600 people have died before their time, where are the facts to prove this?

It is my understanding that life expectancies in this country and much of the developed world have increased signicicantly over the last 50 years.

Contrary to your claim that some people are dying before their time, most people now live beyond their natural time due to advances in healthcare and most importantly medication which control many of the problems of ageing.

I never actually said i would "grass" anyone up as you call it and perhaps most people do know someone who "is at it" and like you they would not "grass them up" which is their choice but it does seem to be a little hypocritical to keep quiet about them and then to go on and voice your concerns about the rest of the genuine claimants and tar them with the same brush. This constant rhetoric is partly to blame for a rise in Disability hate crime and there is no need for it.

I also agree with you about the checks on someones ability and that is exactly the point i am trying to make the current Work Capability Assessment carried out by Atos under instruction of the DWP is an absolute disgrace.

I also agree with most of your other points as well and i have already shared my thoughts on our benefit system.

Regarding the 10600 deaths there was a link in the same post and if you want to look back through this thread you will find out more or alternatively just "Google it" Or you could watch this previously posted clip -

My claim regarding people dying early was directly linked to this thread "Atos" as the reason they are dying early and also because of the cuts the Government are implementing on the most vulnerable whilst lining the pockets of the rich. I believe there is a figure quoted recently that says -

"Disabled people with the greatest needs make up 2% of the population, and yet they are weathering 15% of the cuts"

Does that seem fair to you?

Taxpayer Foots £7m Bill For Subsidising Commons Bars And Restuarants

Taxpayers coughed up more than £7m last year helping to subsidise Parliament's bars and restaurants, a Freedom of Information request has found.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/08/13/parliament-bill-bar-taxpayer-subsidy_n_3748073.html

MPs need a no-questions-asked £20,000 'allowance' because claiming expenses is too much hassle, John Bercow says

Commons Speaker lobbying for new allowance for food and living costs

Suggests claiming expenses takes too long and is 'complicated'

Raises fears of a return to the bad old days of MPs' expenses

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2389774/Claiming-expenses-hassle-MPs-claims-John-Bercow-questions-asked-20-000-lump-sum.html#ixzz2brwmGzZb

And back in the real world -

Summer of hunger: Huge rise in food bank use as demand linked to 'welfare reform'

Trust running country’s largest network says some branches have had double the number of requests for emergency parcels since start of school holidays

Food banks across Britain are being inundated with requests for emergency meals as families struggle to feed their children through the school holidays.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/summer-of-hunger-huge-rise-in-food-bank-use-as-demand-linked-to-welfare-reform-8755101.html

But remember "We are all in this together"