Hi-fi query

daveh

This may seem to be a silly problem but I'll ask it anyway.

We have a small Panasonic DAB radio/CD mini system. It was not particularly expensive to buy but works well. When it is not in use, I usually turn it off and only the standby light is usually on. When I don't intend to use it for a few days, I turn it off at the mains.

However, in the last week, when I turn it off the standby light comes on as usual but, after a few seconds, it turns itself on again and the digital display then continually lists all the functions that the system has (as if it is in a showroom advertising what it can do).

I don't know why it has started doing this and don't know how to stop it (other than turning it off at the mains each time). It is not a big problem; merely an irritating one.

Any ideas as to why it is doing this?

It sounds like its gone in to "Demo" mode. Often included in systems such as that to make it look attractive in a showroom or window.

Try a quick google for the model no, and demo mode and see what you find. Usually its a combination keypress or even a dedicated control to switch it off/on.

Check to see if there's anything in the handbook about being able to change the settings of the digital display. A lot of systems have the function to select up to a point what is displayed and when. The Sony I have displays the advertising menu all the time when in standby, it always has. I don't have the handbook to hand to check and make sure, but as best as I can recall from memory there's a section in the menu where I could change it to other options if I wanted.

If a button is inadvertently pushed in error or unknowingly, which is very easily done with a remote, there is the potential to have changed the selected option in such a menu without realising it.

If a button is inadvertently pushed in error or unknowingly, which is very easily done with a remote, there is the potential to have changed the selected option in such a menu without realising it.

Which very often happens when a certain person dusts the remote and/or the unit! :wink:

Many thanks for the replies.

By googling the model number and "demo mode", I have now been able to discover that there is a demo button that I had never noticed on the system. It must have been pressed by mistake.

All sorted now, guys !

:D