ann257

Are you a S.E.R.F.?

Scottish?

Educated?

Redundant?

foot-sucked?

I am not Scottish. – raised here.

I am not Educated. – A few Highers.

I am not Redundant. – I am disabled and work 8 hours a week.

I am foot-sucked. – I have little future.

Serfs were medieval, un-free people bound to the landlord. (Collins Dic’.)

Are we bound to the government?

We are dependant, controlled, contained.

The government is raising our benefits by 1% while they want a £30,000 pay raise. The cost of living will go up by 2-3% if we are lucky, that means we have to survive off less.

I would like to earn £30,000 a year. And it’s not that I don’t try!

I would like to be more educated but how is a cleaner or shop worker supposed to have time to get an education.

I don’t have parents that went to OxBridge, or Edinburgh or St Andrews.

I have no children. But I want to see the children of Scotland and Shetland prosper. That means education for serfs, work and a meaningful life for all. Not foot-sucked but Future.

We have an opportunity that the original serfs didn’t have. We go to school, we have internet access for free at the library, we can change things for our children, the children of Shetland, of Scotland, it is up to us to see that our children prosper.

:?

It has nothing to do with anything.:)

Scottish, or Shetlandic, is a title for a people, nothin more.

We are a part of the UK and considering independance, so "Scottish" is an issue. I know i have been treated different simply due to my English accent.

We are all in this together, not Shetland, not Scotland, not the UK, not Europe, but the whole world are one eccosystem that needs to support the lowest and raise them up so we all have basic human rights.

Equally being Educated has nothing to do with anything. Education is luck, life chance, those that get it and are in a place to use it are the lucky ones, that is all.

This is why i say serfs should take a stand. We have rights and our own "heart" beliefs. We can help others, we can change things, but we need to stand together.

:)

The harsh truth of our present situation is that. 1st, as you pointed out already, We are not 'SERFs'. We live in a social society and are incalculably better off than the slaves that you liken us to. 2nd, There will never be a revolution in a land that you have to apply for a demonstration licence in, ever!! And 3rd, Even if there was, you wouldn't know what to do with it.

(From Ann257 via PM)

You are wrong of course that just because you have to apply to demonstrate there are never demonstrations, the consept of a revolution is opposed to the concept of following all the rules all the time. You want to talk about demonstrations? look at Northern Ireland just now, over a flag? :S

I never called for a revolution in that way anyhows. You just read it like that. What i was calling for was for people to lobby to say that folks in poverty have the right to be treated with dignity and fairly, that includes the right the have enough money to stay warm and eat. - We are not skivers but strivers to quote a polititian.

True we are not serfs in the original term except of course we are controlled by a rich minority and quite a few of us have very little chance of ever escaping from the poverty trap, for a very wide range of reasons.

You are completely correct with regards to me.

I could never lead the sort of revolution YOU are talking about, i certainly am NOT calling for demonstrations as you imply. Anyway, i'm too ill to be able to do anything like that.

Pleased you managed to get up the courage to write.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's a public forum, not a private debate. :wink:

It has nothing to do with anything.:)

Scottish, or Shetlandic, is a title for a people, nothin more.

We are a part of the UK and considering independance, so "Scottish" is an issue. I know i have been treated different simply due to my English accent.

We are all in this together, not Shetland, not Scotland, not the UK, not Europe, but the whole world are one eccosystem that needs to support the lowest and raise them up so we all have basic human rights.

Equally being Educated has nothing to do with anything. Education is luck, life chance, those that get it and are in a place to use it are the lucky ones, that is all.

This is why i say serfs should take a stand. We have rights and our own "heart" beliefs. We can help others, we can change things, but we need to stand together.

:)

I'm sure du means weel, but time tae lay aff da cooking sherry :lol:

... just ignore the idiots who will try to belittle your views

I'm sure du means weel, but time tae lay aff da cooking sherry

A bit of confusion methinks. I generally am wary of people who 'offer' advice. Justified.

Ha ha, dat'll teach me to welcome folk and give advice.

Maybe my dry sense of humour doesn't always come across as I mean it. :roll:

I'm always wary of people I don't know and a few I do know :shock:

... just ignore the idiots who will try to belittle your views

I'm sure du means weel, but time tae lay aff da cooking sherry

A bit of confusion methinks. I generally am wary of people who 'offer' advice. Justified.

Ha ha, dat'll teach me to welcome folk and give advice.

Maybe my dry sense of humour doesn't always come across as I mean it. :roll:

I'm always wary of people I don't know and a few I do know :shock:

Ah, so is it da dry Sherry doos on - serfs dee right? :wink:

Hello Owre-weel. I think your phrase -"Have grace to accept what can't be changed, strength to change what can and wisdom to see the difference" is good advice and strength to change is to do what is required when anyone treats you wrongly when it is clear something can be done about it.

It was a saying a good friend used to say a lot when he was still with us, but I'm sure he pinched it from somewhere. I like your add on.

Experience and age has shown me that forgiveness is the best option when others do me wrong. Life's too short.

Plus it really confuses them when they expect you to be angry :wink:

:lol:

Hi Oor-Weil, the quote you like, the one about grace etc is an Alcoholics Annonymous "Prayer". I don't know the origins of it before that, or if they created it themselves.

Thought it's quite funny since you were suggesting i lay off the alcopops. :)

I too am trying not to be thin skinned, i just find the injustices of this world very upsetting. There are so many bazar things like for example how half the food produced in the world goes to waste and yet there are people starving to death.

The other day one of our "celebrities" i can't mind which one, spent 2.5 million on a watch as a birthday present for her partner. I don't resent others having money, a lot of people work very hard etc so that's not the issue, there's some strange fundamental principle that seems wrong somehow. It leaves me at a bit of a loss?