Viking Bus Station

dead mans hand

So da council has chosen to close the waiting room. Bet the toilets shut too.

That is a real shame, so do the bus users, just stand outside in all year around? Well yes, I bet the new tennent, will love folk standin outside their shop.

I wonder if the council report ever realy took into account the impact on the bus users. I mean realy took in to account.

I am unable to drive a car and dont live in Lerwick. So the bus is the only choise I have. Due to the start and finish times of my job, the bus station is a lifesaver. Not now, not any more. It will be standing out side in all weathers.

I have never seen any of the council use the waiting room or even use a bus. Its a shame that they are so far removed form us.

I could moan some more.

Yes Shetland Pride of Place. Just as long as you don't want to wait for a bus out of the weather or go to the toilet when waiting for it.........[/b]

As I understand it one council official is recommending closure and the council will discuss this on Friday.

Seems to me this is another hit against rural Shetland especially the rural poor and small companies that use the rural freight network to get their goods to rural areas.

It also comes at a time when the council has just spent money refurbishing the bus station including new seating, some new lights and, I understand, wi-fi.

Since there is no way the wages bill comes to almost £80k I would like to know how the supposed saving has been calculated and if the one off refurbishment cost has been added to the figures. Time for users to lobby their councillors.

Yes I agree with you. It is an attack on the rural areas of Shetland.

Its easy for people who have cars and dont use public transport to sit in the Town Hall, to make this choise.

I wonder if the Town Hall will let us bus users shelter from the weather while we wait for our bus in the Town Hall?? I dont think they use all the rooms.

I don't know much about the delivery service but so what if its

cheap, the bus is going that way. And they pay for useing it.

Among other things the newspapers for Unst travel on the bus. And various odd packages of things people need. Moving the rural freight centre to Gremista might be OK for bigger shippers but useless for smaller companies.

Must not forget that the bus station also provides left luggage facilities for locals and tourists. Use it myself when I buy something big in town. And remember the council has already closed the left luggage facility on the esplanade.

To close this facility is a step in the wrong direction ,mainly affecting those living outside the town.

Shortly it will be impossible to have a "pee" in Lerwick ,& on a bad day those unfortunate who have to wait outside for there bus ,will be very cold & wet . Not something that will encourage tourists to Shetland.

Will the lift between the upper & lower car parks also be discontinued as this would make it very difficult for someone with mobility problems.

Try getting a car among the buses at 17:00hrs . You really do have to drop off passengers going on the buses in the upper car park & many need the lift!

The need for this station was identified many years ago .So what has changed?

Yet another disgraceful attack on rural Shetland by some halfwit who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.

There are many better ways of saving money that should be explored before this happens.

Anyone who has read the councils phone book knows that. The amount of non jobs in the SIC are unbelievable.

Its only 80k.!

Get rid of a couple of parasites from environmental health or planning and that is the bus station saved.

Why should the SIC provide a service that the bus companies should be providing? Do the SIC not charge them rent?

I've got off the ferry one Sunday at 7.30am to get the first bus at around 9.15am or something and the bus station and toilets were closed. There's still room for you to shelter.

Apparently most of the goods being transported now are business to business; again, why should the SIC subsidise them?

The place is crying out for a decent greasy spoon in there because apart from left luggage and the toilets, there's not a lot else there. Ghostie told me there used to be a cafe there; well, it's a shame there still isn't. The left luggage facility was deffo handy for when doing shopping but couldn't the lockers be relocated - it's not like the lockers take up the entire footprint of the bus station interior now is it?

MAMAMOOMOO ---I would think that those who dream up these proposals will be looking after there own jobs first .

Probably have a 4x4 & never use a bus

This is one facility that should not be closed ,with many jobs on the line I could see more folk having to use the buses .

As for the freight service this will be a big problem ,so handy to have a small parcel ect left ,which can be picked up when convenient. This will certainly be a miss !

The Flea has put many a bag of carrots through there so hopefully that is one who will vote to keep it open!!

Well I feel strongly enough about this to have e-mailed my three councillors like this

I am one of the many older people living in the North Isles who uses the Viking Bus Station on a regular basis. I need the toilet before and after the journey, I need somewhere dry and warm(ish) to wait on a cold or wet day and when shopping in town I need somewhere to keep my shopping while I go somewhere else for more. And I need to store luggage when returning from south.

Of course the bus station is about more than buses. The rural freight centre handles lots of freight for the isles including fresh food and your daily paper (if you do not get yours in Lerwick). And there are lots of small firms sending things out........this is not big business exclusively.

I would also like to mention the recent improvements to the passenger area. New seating, some new lights, wi-fi? all done after potential closure was first mentioned. Perhaps I could also mention that the left luggage facility at the esplanade has been closed and the pensioners rest room by the lifeboat is no more.

Finally I question the savings quoted. Almost £80K seems a lot for one and a bit employees. How have the council officials concerned arrived at this figure?

I do hope you will vote against the closure and will encourage other members to do likewise.........

Unlinked, one of the things from my area that goes into the freight centre for collection is cakes for special occasions made by a small almost hobby size company. Without this they would maybe be unable to supply a lot of their customers at a sensible price.

Unlinked, one of the things from my area that goes into the freight centre for collection is cakes for special occasions made by a small almost hobby size company. Without this they would maybe be unable to supply a lot of their customers at a sensible price.

You said "maybe". Does that mean you don't know?

Will this be followed by SIC spending the money on an advertising campaign to encourage greater use of public transport to help save the environment? :roll:

What a great idea & I'm sure there are a few local media firms ready to take up the challenge ----at a price .

Could screen it in MAREEL. Takings donated to the bus station appeal !!

You said "maybe". Does that mean you don't know?

Yes it means I do not know for sure any more than I know that without the rural freight centre the daily newspapers going to Unst would not get there but they are possible things that our councillors need to be aware of before making a decision.