Viking Bus Station

dead mans hand

Thanks Shoogler,yeah got that wrong should have read the article properly before making comments,but I will still stand by my feelings that surely we have enough intellectual folk in Shetland capable of solving this problem of Transport,without the need to seek outside assistance.

• 2 weeks later...

In my experience it has been the lack of spine to make a decision that makes people go to outside consultants for simple issues like this. Don't want to make a difficult decision? Get the consultants in, who will give you the same answer that you have already come up with, then blame the consultants when you have to implement the decision.

I used to tell my mum that big boys did it and ran away. Consultants provide the same line but for adults.

I have been listening to people and asking the odd question and I understand that the main mover within Transport for selling the bus station has left/is soon to leave the council so maybe the council could have a look at what facilities will be lost and then find out where the so called savings from closing it will come.  If as I suspect a fair amount is down to "admin" then maybe our councillors could enquire about which jobs are going to be lost to make that saving.  Or will the admin costs simply get distributed to other departments.

I would also like to hear our councillors giving a promise that toilets, luggage storage and somewhere warm and dry to sit (not a "shelter on a stance" will remain available to bus passengers if the bus station is sold.

In fact I think all bus users on Shetlink should write to their councillors telling them to save the bus station.

• 6 months later...

I was at the viking the other day. What lovely new bus shelters they have made for wis.

Totally useless. Unless there is a slight drizzle coming straight down or wind coming from behind. Which the big wall already provided protection. No seats in the shelter, they may be added yet. So its a half ass job. Open to the weather with no real shelter.

Its well seeing that none of the councelers use busses.

Its just not good enough. Not 1 bit.

Just as well the wind don't blow fae da north.

Or dose it?

I took a look at the new stand this morning... Pathetic and, not fit for purpose...

Anyway, to add insult to injury, I believe that the SIC (after having sold the ground as well as the building) will now have to pay quite a substantial sum in rent to the new owners...  (pays the mortgage no doubt)

It's not as if they were having to pay wages to the 'land' so, what kind of £$"*!^* idiot dreamt that one up.  You couldn't make it up could you?

Honestly, I really believe we cannot trust any officials or councillors to look after our best interests and, that somebody should get the sack and, that any councillors who voted in favour of this fiasco should also resign immediately.

I took a look at the new stand this morning... Pathetic and, not fit for purpose...

Anyway, to add insult to injury, I believe that the SIC (after having sold the ground as well as the building) will now have to pay quite a substantial sum in rent to the new owners...  (pays the mortgage no doubt)

It's not as if they were having to pay wages to the 'land' so, what kind of £$"*!^* idiot dreamt that one up.  You couldn't make it up could you?

Honestly, I really believe we cannot trust any officials or councillors to look after our best interests and, that somebody should get the sack and, that any councillors who voted in favour of this fiasco should also resign immediately.

Thats about right and elsewhere on Shetland they are bigging up a petition for Independence where will we be then

Yes i have to agree - the new bus shelters (i use the term loosely) are an absolute joke.

When they were starting work i counted 3 workmen on a Sunday busy moving metal barriers around, no doubt on a hefty overtime rate, perhaps the budget for this work went on that, and could be the reason they have the appearance of being half completed.

Come winter should even seats appear in the not to distant future i would challenge our gormless council members to stand out in the elements in that structure on a dark, wet, cold winters night.....bet they wouldn't so why should us.....disgrace.

Edited by suuusssiiieee