bricks

damissinlink

i didnt realise that, i have heard about this in a few houses up here and wondered what is was and how you fixed it. don't want to upset anybody.

is this fixable or is it a case of re bricking the house??

You have to replace them, which if the whole house was constructed using them...

A big job.

Agreed. Massive job, not find many builders to take it on.

A lot of houses built late 70s early 80s were built with these blocks and most south- west facing walls will be showing signs of deterioration, usually cracked harl or harl falling off. Repairs are temporary as they won't bond as the walls are crumbling.

Insurance companies aren't interested and of course the manufacturer is no longer around, so it is an expensive job.

I would tread very carefully if you are looking at any house built around this time and if need be get a structural report.

Also known as concrete cancer, is it not?

No I don't think so. Concrete cancer is a term that is usually used to describe the condition when moisture ingress causes corrosion of the reinforcing steel within the concrete structure. 'Sullom blocks', in common with all other concrete blocks, were not manufactured using reinforcing steel.

The issue with the 'sullom blocks', as I understand it, is in the quality of the aggregate used, and perhaps the manufacturing process. It is worth remembering that not every property manufactured with these blocks will necessarily have a problem. There are plenty of houses and buildings in Shetland manufactured with concrete which would not come close to meeting the concrete specifications of the industry today, but are still perfectly sound structurally.

If you have any concerns about any building you should have it checked by a properly qualified, competent, and impartial person. Depending on the nature of your concern that person may, unfortunately , have to come from sooth.

It is a relatively isolated problem specific to a batch of "Sullom blocks" from a certain era and which a competent Surveyor should pick up on. Basically too much constructed during the boom period with insufficient quality control procedures in place. Oxna.

Also known as concrete cancer, is it not?

No I don't think so. Concrete cancer is a term that is usually used to describe the condition when moisture ingress causes corrosion of the reinforcing steel within the concrete structure.

Just found this:

"As concrete ages, it will begin to deteriorate and, if the cement is too alkaline, the ageing process causes star-shaped cracks to appear which will allow rainwater to penetrate. In wintertime, in cool temperate and in cold climates, the deterioration is accelerated due to freeze-thawing of the water within the cracks. This phenomenon is known as 'concrete cancer'. In order to understand how this occurs, it is necessary to understand something about the chemistry of concrete manufacture."

(http://news.bbc.co.uk/dna/place-lancashire/plain/A4014172)

I think you're describing problems that can occur with precast reinforced concrete.

Just found this:

"As concrete ages, it will begin to deteriorate and, if the cement is too alkaline, the ageing process causes star-shaped cracks to appear which will allow rainwater to penetrate. In wintertime, in cool temperate and in cold climates, the deterioration is accelerated due to freeze-thawing of the water within the cracks. This phenomenon is known as 'concrete cancer'. In order to understand how this occurs, it is necessary to understand something about the chemistry of concrete manufacture."

Oh, I see. Would you care to explain why you think this is what may be happening with the concrete blocks in question.

I think you're describing problems that can occur with precast reinforced concrete.

No I am describing problems which can occur with any concrete which contains ferrous metal and are often referred to colloquially as 'concrete cancer'

Just found this:

Unlinked, this isn't a generic concrete problem that happens to be occurring in Shetland, this is a problem specific to blocks made by a certain manufacturer during the oil construction boom in the late 70's/early 80's. This manufacturer is long gone.

I've heard a couple of different reasons why these blocks were flawed:

One is that the cement used was imported from the Eastern Bloc and was not up to standard, the other was that the manufacturer simply didn't use enough cement in the blocks in the first place.

I've no idea which reason is true if any.