rural community skips

dead mans hand

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Lone Wolf

Urabug, I don't know if existing staff are having their hours reduced, but I think new recruits are being employed on part time (35 hour) rather than full time contracts of 37 hours

Urabug, I don't know if existing staff are having their hours reduced, but I think new recruits are being employed on part time (35 hour) rather than full time contracts of 37 hours

I'd hardly call 35 hours a week part-time! Anything from 35 hours to 40 hours is the norm in most of the private sector.

16 hours a week would be part-time.

Will we notice the difference 2 hours make though? I'm amazed at how many SIC staff seem capable of posting on Facebook throughout the week at anywhere between 8am and 5pm, quite often every day (and several posts); perhaps blooming smart phones should be confiscated as they sure are getting around the internet rule. Silly me, I thought people were meant to work during their employed hours. No wonder it's taking them over 9 months to reply to Ghostie's queries ... and just how is the new Chief Executive fitting in?

Oops, a certain someone never logged out! I'll marmalise Him!

Re the skips though. Scrap them, there's never enough of them anyway. Allow people so many items a year for free collection and anything above that number, charge them.

I agree though, cut the number of staff in the offices.

Guest Lone Wolf

Ghostrider, reducing the hours in this way is a policy that most public sector bodies use to save money. I agree it's not a significant amount, but pennies and pounds and all that.

As for the queries I know what you mean as they've never responded to any of mine either, albeit I've only sent 2 very simple ones.

Re the skips though. Scrap them, there's never enough of them anyway. Allow people so many items a year for free collection and anything above that number, charge them.

Yes that is a much better idea. Skips are great for those that can use them but useless for people like poor little me with no transport and the skip too far away to carry things.

Ghostrider, reducing the hours in this way is a policy that most public sector bodies use to save money. I agree it's not a significant amount, but pennies and pounds and all that.

As for the queries I know what you mean as they've never responded to any of mine either, albeit I've only sent 2 very simple ones.

Apologies, it was actually me, Unlinkedstudent - Ghostie had never logged out.

Makes you wonder though how many other people have unanswered queries and which departments ... perhaps another thread in the making?

I seem to mind hearing this too. 37 hours is the official length of time existing staff are contracted to work, though I think existing staff had the option to work 35 hours a week at a lesser wage when Single Status was adopted. I don't know if any statistics are available as to how many opted to do this

Whilst I do not think that Gary Robinson is 'stupid', I do think that it is a bit dumb of him to claim that the SIC are going to reduce staffing levels through 'natural wastage' whilst trying to avoid compulsory redundancies.

THERE IS NO WAY TO SAVE 33M WITHOUT MAKING PEOPLE REDUNDANT

Trying to save costs in line with the current proposals will mean that we will end up with a bunch of people with nothing to 'administer' because all the front line services (that WE pay for) are gone..

Will they get rid of the surplus employees then?

Guest Lone Wolf

I would think some kind of redundancies will be necessary at some time for the reason you state Colin - nothing to administer.

However, Mr Robinson would be committing political suicide if he stated that though or made it a policy. It is also likely that they want to avoid redundancy costs and so by creating an atmosphere of "jobs at risk", people will leave of their own accord. That's the theory anyway!

^ Which will probably compound our woes, when it would appear to many that the SIC has been at times a place where those "in disgrace" in their former position, or effectively unemployable elsewhere, could be appointed if they ticked the boxes far enough to be in the frame for difficult to fill positions.

Back on topic if what I hear on the radio tonight is correct we might have a good replacement for the skips. Pay the council to collect things. Only worry I have at the moment is if the sum talked about is per uplift or per item. Like at the moment I have a mattress and a microwave to get rid off and I would not want to have to pay a second charge for the microwave.

Back on topic if what I hear on the radio tonight is correct we might have a good replacement for the skips. Pay the council to collect things. Only worry I have at the moment is if the sum talked about is per uplift or per item. Like at the moment I have a mattress and a microwave to get rid off and I would not want to have to pay a second charge for the microwave.

Nah! Just hide it inside da mattress :D

Mind and tak aa de money out o it first :wink:

A percentage of people simply won't use it though, when its simpler, quicker, easier and cheaper to throw scrap in a nearby road ditch, old quarry, over the banks etc. The skip system only began working effectively when they were positioned in locations that it was as quick and easy to use them as it was to ditch whatever in the "alternative" not so welcomed locations.

If folk start dumping indiscriminately again, you have three choices, let the SIC etc ignore it and put up with what it looks like (it wouldn't bother me, but I appreciate it does bother some others), cover the additional costs of Enviornmental Health/Police or whoever to pursue the dumpers, or cover the cost of the SIC clearing it all away periodically. The latter two options will make the currently punted "savings" quite a bit less "attractive" looking to say the least.