SNP - Proposed airgun legislation

Redrobbie99

The SNP say that there are 500,000 airgun owners in Scotland so this could well be a vote loser for them.

So a 50% turn out, that is if all are AGAINST further controls on air weapons. Pie in the sky that one matey if you think that alone would make a difference.

Checking the figures, fire arms offences in Scotland where the firearm was an air gun went up by 2% from 2010/11 - 2011/12.

Of all the reported firearm offences, or alleged, Air weapons accounted for 38%

So I do not see where there has been any "reduction"

Acts of vandalism involving fire arms

Of the cases reported in 2011/12 65% involved air weapons.

Reckless Conduct 67% of all cases involving firearms were air weapons

Common assault 43% of all cases involving a firearm were air weapons

Offences involving the discharge of a firearm 59% involved air weapons, of that percentage, a little under a third resulted in a non fatal injury in 2011/12.

Of the victims of victims who were killed or suffered a non-fatal injury, 32% were between the ages of 11 and 15, 13% were less than 10. 27% were 31 or over.

These figures were released on 4th December 2012 and ARE for Scotland only.

So, it seems air weapons are making up quite a bulk of the stats here, and some think it is not a problem?

Yer right!

nicer percentages what are the real figures.

Air weapons accounted for 36% (233) of all offences involving the use of a firearm in 2010-11, compared to 51% (427) in 2009-10.

Between 2009-10 and 2010-11, the number of offences involving the alleged use of a shotgun or imitation firearm increased by 48% and 72% respectively.

The number of recorded offences involving a pistol/revolver fell by 17% between 2009-10 and 2010-11 (109 to 91 offences). 'Other' firearms were used in 15% of offences involving the alleged use of a firearm in 2010-11. This category includes all other weapons covered by the Firearms Act 1968 that are not separately identified - such as starting guns, taser guns and pepper spray.

The 2 homicide cases involving a firearm in 2010-11 were both committed using a pistol/revolver. Of the 13 attempted murders recorded as involving a firearm, the main weapon was identified as a pistol/revolver in 8 of the offences, with the remaining offences involving a shotgun.

An air weapon was alleged to have been used in 82 of the 135 counts of 'reckless conduct with firearms' (61%) in 2010-11. An air weapon was also used in 39% of minor assaults and 34% of 'other crimes and offences'.

so no fall. from 51 to 38% of offences. that sounds like a drop to me.

how many deaths 2 both hand guns and 13 attempted murders were real guns.

82 crimes of reckless conduct that could be as little as a kid plinking cans.

and a 1/3 of other offences.

so apart from minor offences air guns between 2009-2011 were not a scourge on the people of scotland.

your very naughty trying to use stats to prove your point. oh hang on your a politician.

nicer percentages what are the real figures.

Air weapons accounted for 36% (233) of all offences involving the use of a firearm in 2010-11, compared to 51% (427) in 2009-10.

Between 2009-10 and 2010-11, the number of offences involving the alleged use of a shotgun or imitation firearm increased by 48% and 72% respectively.

The number of recorded offences involving a pistol/revolver fell by 17% between 2009-10 and 2010-11 (109 to 91 offences). 'Other' firearms were used in 15% of offences involving the alleged use of a firearm in 2010-11. This category includes all other weapons covered by the Firearms Act 1968 that are not separately identified - such as starting guns, taser guns and pepper spray.

The 2 homicide cases involving a firearm in 2010-11 were both committed using a pistol/revolver. Of the 13 attempted murders recorded as involving a firearm, the main weapon was identified as a pistol/revolver in 8 of the offences, with the remaining offences involving a shotgun.

An air weapon was alleged to have been used in 82 of the 135 counts of 'reckless conduct with firearms' (61%) in 2010-11. An air weapon was also used in 39% of minor assaults and 34% of 'other crimes and offences'.

so no fall. from 51 to 38% of offences. that sounds like a drop to me.

how many deaths 2 both hand guns and 13 attempted murders were real guns.

82 crimes of reckless conduct that could be as little as a kid plinking cans.

and a 1/3 of other offences.

so apart from minor offences air guns between 2009-2011 were not a scourge on the people of scotland.

your very naughty trying to use stats to prove your point. oh hang on your a politician.

I thought hand guns were banned does not seem to stop the criminals getting them

There is no fall in the use of air weapons, licensed hand guns are still available, we established that ages ago, your thinking is floored. The increase is 2%, I am quite correct. Which is what I stated. Also Paul, as some one who is involved in public health, your attitude seems to be a wee bit odd. I fail to see the relationship with the folk listed in the PDF file I have linked to and politics, just a pathetic throw in to divert from the facts. That air weapons cause harm because folks regard them as toys.

I find it quite mad that to justify the non-registration of air weapons you think by comparing them with other crimes makes it OK that folk, well children seem to get hold of these easily because of this attitude you are displaying.

I certainly hope you family do not have to witness what an air weapon can do to some one.

Some of your numbers are here in this quick look at the problem nationally, as we know, not all get reported. I doubt very much that the numbers are minuscule.

http://www.gun-control-network.org/Airgun%20Incidents%202010.pdf

I fail to see how this really can be a problem, any sale or new purchase should have some sort of registration, this is not really a SNP thing but a problem all over the country. The comparison with cars is retarded, you need to be registered to drive one blah blah.

Also, because hand guns are available to "criminals" does not lessen the problem. Many air weapons resemble live round firing guns, as I have mentioned before, there is no telling that many more of the alleged crimes did not involve air weapons.

http://www.solware.co.uk/air-pistol-air-rifle/walther-cp88-black.jpg

http://www.solware.co.uk/2005-images/brco2colt01_s.jpg

http://www.solware.co.uk/air-pistol-air-rifle/heckler_koch_umarex_metal_bb%20SML.jpg

http://www.solware.co.uk/air-pistol-air-rifle/Umarex-Sportwaffen-GmbH-and-Co-KG-US-M1-Carbine-A18752%20SMLL.jpg

All the above air weapons sold in the UK designed to look like their live round counter parts.

Now, could you distinguish the difference if one was waved at your head, and if you could, would you think, ah, tis only an air gun, no real threat.

I really don't understand why people always drag in 'statistics' to try and prove their argument when we all know that statistics can be used to prove(?) anything you want them to. Worthless rubbish..

If there has to be a discussion, let it be one that deals with facts and does not try to manipulate the (sometimes dodgy) mathematics.

The death of the toddler which I mentioned, brought increased pressure on the government to act, Westminster did nothing but passed the buck. Licensing is coming, long overdue some will say, and the parents of this kid have campaigned endlessly for licensing since the death of their son who was taken to an ice cream van by his brother and shot by an air-rifle from the cover of a house. According to the clown who fired the shot, he was aiming at the van for a laugh, some laugh, perhaps some of the posters on here would like to reflect on what their views might be if it was their own son.

Licensing is coming, no matter what, get used to the idea. No doubt the details of who is a fit and proper person to own an airgun will be decided in the bill.

Regarding Red Robbie who quotes the Daily Mail, this was a Fascist paper before the war, it campaigned on behalf of Mosley and the Fuhrer, it should have been shut down after VE night. My grannie wouldn't even have used squares of this tripe in the lavvy.

Wullie

The death of the toddler which I mentioned, brought increased pressure on the government to act, Westminster did nothing but passed the buck. Licensing is coming, long overdue some will say, and the parents of this kid have campaigned endlessly for licensing since the death of their son who was taken to an ice cream van by his brother and shot by an air-rifle from the cover of a house. According to the clown who fired the shot, he was aiming at the van for a laugh, some laugh, perhaps some of the posters on here would like to reflect on what their views might be if it was their own son.

Licensing is coming, no matter what, get used to the idea. No doubt the details of who is a fit and proper person to own an airgun will be decided in the bill.

Regarding Red Robbie who quotes the Daily Mail, this was a Fascist paper before the war, it campaigned on behalf of Mosley and the Fuhrer, it should have been shut down after VE night. My grannie wouldn't even have used squares of this tripe in the lavvy.

Wullie

the laws are there the pillock that killed the child should have been charged with murder.

look at the requirements at firearm licencing. if you have to go through the same process as that for a rifle or shotgun. put it this way if i had to get a licence i would be switching to a .22 rifle/ and possibly a shotgun. all you would be doing is increasing the cost of ownership. when are they going to licence kitchen knives.

So if the figures show that no kids were killed by Kalashnikovs they should be freely available?

Wullie.

an air weapon is not an assault weapon. a register would be a lesser way of controlling them. they are required to be secured away from children. this could all be merged together without the need for police and medical checks.