SNP - Proposed airgun legislation

Redrobbie99

So......

...the English banned airguns after Culloden?  :???:

The SNP are on record as saying they want control over all gun legislation as soon as possible so they can''modernise'' it. I think we all know what that means.When i included the link referring to the disarmament acts which were imposed on the people of Scotland i was trying to highlight the irony of the SNP's  present stated position on these issues in a historical context. As a matter of interest kilt's and bagpipes were also banned under the same act's something that raisers the ire of Scottish nationalist's to this day. 

Yup, I got the jibe, Redrobbie, I just had this vision in my head of redcoats rounding up all the Mc kids for possessing spud guns.

Also, anything that annoys the 'Braveheart and Bannockburn' clowns is good by me.  :razz:

Another of the SNP proposal's that concern's me is compensation or should i say the lack of it.The SNP are proposing that anyone who fall's foul of their retrospective catch 22 new laws and are unable to get a air gun certificate will be required to hand in their previously legally owned private property for no compensation whatsoever .They also state that the average price of a new air gun is around £100.Even a coursery  glance through the advertising section of any air gun magazine will show this figure to be a joke.  

£100 for a new airgun.....0.o  I must have been well ripped off then!  Mine was £450 for the airgun alone, never mind the sights and other bits and bobs....Just goes to show how ill-informed they are.  Any shooter worth his or her salt wouldn't look twice at a brand new air rifle with a £100 price tag.  My own personal reaction would be to wonder what's wrong with it then politely decline any offer I'd been made for it.

Edited by gafynandrew

• 2 weeks later...

While doing a bit of research i came across this report which shows HM government was thinking about licencing low powered air guns as recently as the year 2000 but dropped the idea after baulking at the cost and shear scale of the task and opposition from interested parties [including the police service] .you can find a link to the report here.   http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm199900/cmselect/cmhaff/95/9508.htm i think the SNP would be wise to follow suit .

Edited by redrobbie

This is from the second article in which a reporter describes the area where the fatal shooting took place[.Some youngsters openly carry sticks and golf clubs as weapons.On Friday and Saturday nights,gangs from the neighbouring estates fight each other.Its territorial said one police officer,who admitted that they don't usually patrol the area.The nearest police station is two miles away in easterhouse.We dont hang around,so nor should you the officer said.His colleague added ''we drive in, do what we have to do and drive out again.Its to dangerous ''.].Now do you think that guys in areas like this are going to pay any attention to any new law the SNP dream up to licence low powered air guns..

One thing that  puzzles me is that Kenny Makaskill of the SNP has said that he  want's the application process for low powered air guns [high powered ones already require a licence] to mirror that for a firearms certificate.If that is indeed what is to happen by 27 june them my question is why have a separate airgun licence if the application process is the same for a FAC [firearms certificate] why not all on the same ticket .We will have a situation in Scotland where the all round shooter will have to have no less than three certificates FAC,SGC,AGC.How many checks and bits of paper do you need.?  

Be a bit like my driving licence then, ~I have HGV and can drive a 30 tonne truck, yet cannot pull 1,000kg trailer with a 3,500 kg transit van, unless I have another part to that licence. ~It is because of the risks, now, what you have just proposed is a general licence that could have 3 parts, that will save on the costs, well done.

One thing about these new laws is they will certainly create office jobs lots of them in fact, to process the Ben Nevis of paperwork required to licence all airguns in Scotland [the SNP estimate 500,000 their figure not mine]and these licences will have to be renewed every 5 years which will mean a massive blip every 5 years.The SNP insist this will be all up and running before the end of the Scottish parliamentary year [27  june  2014] .I would have thought they had bigger thing's to concentrate their effort's on this year of all year's.

Edited by redrobbie

Hmm, a little under 10% of the population, I would guess that the SGOV are able to deal with these sorts of numbers, they seem able to do it with other systems they run. There may however be a lead in period, as with the driving licenses. With the new rules, I have up to 5 years to complete certain tasks, or I lose the right to drive what I drive, unfortunately, you only post the stuff you want us to concentrate on, then, that is what campaigning is about, but, according to the figures  you quote, about 4.8 million residents will not give a hoot. You may even find that many may want licensing, especially if it means they do not have to do anything if it does come.

I could comment on the sarcasm with more sarcasm, but it would be wrong as it could be seen as an insult. Unjustified at that. I will however keep it for those who will no doubt will need it.

I applaud this thread, it shows there is a passion for this, I do not think that the reasons stated here will put many SNP voters off from continuing their support, generally, they support because of the larger issues.

Campaign sites such as 38Degrees and Change have some successes with their campaigns, these are instigated by their members.

I think the whole gun issue needs to be looked at, I personally feel air guns can be used as recklessly as any other gun. I do not see however why they should replicate their powder driven models. This is the bit that worries me. They look too much like the TeeVee guns.

I used to collect fire arms, but given the interest that some started to show in them, I was worried that they could have been stolen and used in ways they were not designed for. They were all produced to kill Nazis. I sold them on.

Air guns do have their place, but I also feel they should be secured in cabinets. One death or injury is one too many, it is OK saying that only so many get hurt compared to..... still, would you like to be one of the ones dealing with the aftermath of such an event. Think of how many folks lives are changed by an early death and with such circumstances. Even injury can affect lives.

I used to shoot arrows for a hobby, I was very good at it, I can understand the satisfaction of being able to send an arrow 300 yards and hit a target 10 cm wide. Competition was hot, as were the rifle clubs, I could not really safely loose an arrow from a 100lb+ compound bow or even my old 45lb composite bow in my old back garden, to be honest, what would be the point? For my garden at the time, a 12lb fibreglass bow would have done.

At club level, there had to be several safeguards. Firstly, the distance behind the target boss had to be of sufficient length to allow arrows that missed to come to rest without leaving the boundary of the field we were in, or a large safety net was set up. It also, in some cases, had to be marshalled, especialy when we were combining the archery with orienteering.

I would guess that it is very rare that an air gun is fired beyond the minimum distance from a highway or thoroughfare in a domestic set up.

Edited by shetlandpeat

I would guess that it is very rare that an air gun is fired beyond the minimum distance from a highway or thoroughfare in a domestic set up.

I'd guess that you're guessing wrong on that one, SP.

Unless you believe that the majority of airgun owners buy them to shoot in their own housing estate gardens - something that certainly hasn't been the case in my experience.

Legislating airguns isn't necessarily a bad thing - it depends how it is handled. But don't think for one minute that it will make any difference to criminal activity.

Remember when they banned handguns? Now the only members of the public who have handguns in any meaningful numbers are criminals - and there's been no noticeable drop in handgun crime that can be down to banning them.

Same with knives, the legislation making it illegal to carry a knife over a certain blade length has had no effect, in fact stabbings have gone up according to the Indy: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/14000-knife-victims-a-year-860857.html

All it has done is criminalise people like me. I have carried a lock knife with a 6" blade since I was fifteen when out walking my dogs on the beach our out on a trek in the wilds. If anything happened and the police were involved, then I'd have a criminal record for effall........

I also have airguns, I shoot responsibly. Ban my airguns or make me get a licence and it won't make any difference to some nasty little ned shooting out of a window. 

Edited by Scorrie

Before guns were licensed, I would guess there were more in the population than after licensing. Well, there were. It is still, up to the individual if they want to use such weapons for other reasons,

In the early 80's. the only folk I knew who had air weapons were my mates and their Dads, who used to shoot them in their gardens or out in the park. In cities many gerdens were very close to the public highway.

Yup, lock knives are against the law, as is the blade length. I doubt you are being targeted. When they brought the laws in, you were more likely to get a record if you were a single Mum watching Tee Vee without a license.

Regardless of personal experiences, there is no reason not to keep an idea of how many weapons are in the country, it will also go some way to prevent some of the thefts of weapons if they have to be secured.

To say, what is the point because folk who are deemed of a criminal nature or have intent will continue is only a small part of what I see is the problem.

Attitudes can change if you experience such criminal activity, running bars in Lewisham can give you that experience. Seeing many of my mates with pelet injuries is another experience, as well as losing a few loved pets.

there is no reason not to keep an idea of how many weapons are in the country,

is only a small part of what I see is the problem.

Another disjointed, and rambling, post.  My eyes are bleeding.

You are obviously in favour of completely disarming and emasculating the entire population so, two points......

1.  What purpose would be served (and by who), by keeping a tally of air weapons?

2.  What, in your opinion, do you see as the real problem with people owning air weapons.