SNP - Proposed airgun legislation

Redrobbie99

Still, this has nothing to do with the licensing of air weapons, unless of course you are advocating harm to domestic animals against existing laws.

The site may say that cats hate collars but advocates breakaway latches on them. As this is an American site, what does the equivalent to the RSPCA/RSPB in America say about it?

Still, this has nothing to do with the licensing of air weapons, unless of course you are advocating harm to domestic animals against existing laws.

The site may say that cats hate collars but advocates breakaway latches on them. As this is an American site, what does the equivalent to the RSPCA/RSPB in America say about it?

I agree I have been Side tracked but it was not me that brought the shooting of domestic pets into the argument that was someone else .I was merely trying to respond to their argument. But it is a matter of Scottish law that domestic pets eg dogs can be legally shot if they are interfering with a farmers or crofters animals eg sheep .I believe their have been one or two cases in Shetland in recent years which were brought to court.The landowners in each case were completely exonerated for their actions and walked free from court.Now from what I gather this also applies to farmers or landowners protecting  poultry from predators which would include rats.polecats,feral cats etc.  

Edited by redrobbie

Snip.... Scottish law that domestic pets eg dogs can be legally shot if they are interfering with a farmers or crofters animals eg sheep .....snip....Now from what I gather this also applies to farmers or landowners protecting  poultry from predators which would include rats.polecats,feral cats etc.  

Firstly, using an air weapon on a dog worrying sheep may not have the desired affect, though, the shock of being hit by a pellet may frighten the animal off, the other point is that guidelines for shooting pests give a distance of 30 metres between the gun and the pest as a humane way of effectively dispatching such pests. There are guidelines for a reason, it could be argued in some cases that if these were could not  be followed, another method should be found. After all, they also suggest that even vermin have rights to swift death.

• 2 weeks later...

For all the politically correct anti-gun, anti armed citizenry advocates out there - just think about what has happened in Crimea and the Ukraine in the last couple of weeks.

The armed Government started shooting unarmed protesters, observing their right to protest against the same corrupt and unjust Government. No fighting back, just lay down and give up. 

A couple of weeks later, they are all Russians! No intervention from anyone in the West, just a bunch of Western politicians flapping their jaws, with NO teeth. Russia will see no impact from this action, no meaningful sanctions, no economic issues that can't be dealt with, no internal dissent from within the country - nothing. This action will also inspire other dictators and megalomaniacs, who will determine that if they are sided with the Russians, then no-one in the West will dare to intercede.

This is not an anti-Russian, anti-Communist (are the Russians even Communist any more?) commentary - it is the real, live World we live in today, and the shameful lack of response from the West, or the United Nations,  toward the annexation and take-over of one Nation, by another.

It could never happen to us - could it?

Edited by north

The lack of intervention from the Western powers was and still is shameful.  The problem is that Russia in terms of millitary power are on a par with America and it would take a global effort to beat them in any kind of conflict, in other words, World war Three.....And NOBODY wants that. 

The truth is, there wasn't much NATO or any Western nation could do without getting involved in a millitary stand-off or engagement of some kind.

A wounded Bear is far more dangerous than a well-fed Bear.

The problem is the EU which has turned into a empire building country grabbing monster with no democratic legitimacy .I was shocked to discover recently that the whole bloody mess in the former Yugoslavia was in fact orchestrated by the EU so it could be absorbed into the western sphere of influence and eventually into the EU,and that is what has happened.Cameron's protest's about Russia's ''unacceptable''  behaviour in Crimea is laughable considering this country's invasion of Iraq and Afghanistan .Why is a referendum in Crimea ''unacceptable'' while one was imposed in the case of Kosavo at the point of a gun by NATO.           

• 3 weeks later...

Here is a profile of baroness Ashton the EU Foreign Affairs minister . http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catherine_Ashton. she has been appointed to umpteen different political positions each time more senior to the last but she has never been democratically elected onto ANYTHING.Yet she is now the EU Foreign affairs High commissioner.I also note her deep involvement with CND in the past.

Edited by redrobbie

Wow, that is a pretty eye opening story. Not only grossly overpaid, but with their own little tax scheme to boot! Amazing how Politicians have no issue with providing themselves with great benefits and deals, then spend all their time critiicisng bloated salaries and benefits in the real world, where all the taxes are generated that fund their lifestyles, workfree employment and huge pensions.

What a joke...