SNP - Proposed airgun legislation

Redrobbie99

Snip.... Scottish law that domestic pets eg dogs can be legally shot if they are interfering with a farmers or crofters animals eg sheep .....snip....Now from what I gather this also applies to farmers or landowners protecting  poultry from predators which would include rats.polecats,feral cats etc.  

Firstly, using an air weapon on a dog worrying sheep may not have the desired affect, though, the shock of being hit by a pellet may frighten the animal off, the other point is that guidelines for shooting pests give a distance of 30 metres between the gun and the pest as a humane way of effectively dispatching such pests. There are guidelines for a reason, it could be argued in some cases that if these were could not  be followed, another method should be found. After all, they also suggest that even vermin have rights to swift death.

30yds/metres is the about maximum distance that you could kill something the size of a rabbit, with a 12ft lbs air rifle, given you are an accurate shot. 

Air weapons are certainly not suitable for shooting anything bigger than a rabbit, or beyond 30yds/m. Even an FAC air weapon would not be suitable for larger animals, wrong calibres, all you gain is extra distance.

• 2 weeks later...

No news from the Scottish government lately but Kenny Macaskill is on record as saying that air gun licencing will be in place before the end of the Scottish parliamentary year which i believe is 29 june thats only 8 weeks from now.So we will just have to wait and see. I came across this which may interest some people.  https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/262215/Guidance_on_Firearms_Licensing_Law_v6_Nov_2013.pdf

• 3 weeks later...

quote [Kenny Macaskill] ''Every day police and animal welfare groups have to deal with the results of air weapons being misused '' .As their were only 171 offences involving air guns recorded in Scotland last year this statement is clearly factually incorrect.

quote [Kenny Macaskill] ''Every day police and animal welfare groups have to deal with the results of air weapons being misused '' .As their were only 171 offences involving air guns recorded in Scotland last year this statement is clearly factually incorrect.

When did a politician let 'the facts' get in the way?

I have read that the shotgun licence cost is about one quarter of the actual cost of issue. The tax payer has been subsidising the issue of the licensing of shotguns for years. The minister responsible for this had a request to increase the fee turned down by Cameron recently.

It may be the case that the way licenses are issued will have to be looked at if any change to firearms licensing is introduced. Personally I feel that the charge for shotgun licensing should increase to reflect the cost. Currently the bill to the public purse is £17 million. When you think how much can be spent on shotguns, I doubt it will affect some.

I have read that the shotgun licence cost is about one quarter of the actual cost of issue. The tax payer has been subsidising the issue of the licensing of shotguns for years. The minister responsible for this had a request to increase the fee turned down by Cameron recently.

It may be the case that the way licenses are issued will have to be looked at if any change to firearms licensing is introduced. Personally I feel that the charge for shotgun licensing should increase to reflect the cost. Currently the bill to the public purse is £17 million. When you think how much can be spent on shotguns, I doubt it will affect some.

There is no such thing as a shotgun licence.It is termed a shotgun certificate .Legally a licence and a certificate are two different things.So when Kenny Macaskill goes on about licencing air guns he is talking nonsense .   

Great, That explains why the public are contributing about £150 for every piece of paper allowing some one to own and keep say a Purdy. Regardless of minor issues with terminology will we be expected to pay for pieces of paper to own an air weapon as well or are the Government going to address the £17 million cost. Perhaps the full price should be extracted?

Great, That explains why the public are contributing about £150 for every piece of paper allowing some one to own and keep say a Purdy. Regardless of minor issues with terminology will we be expected to pay for pieces of paper to own an air weapon as well or are the Government going to address the £17 million cost. Perhaps the full price should be extracted?

Far from subsidising shooting sports the taxpayer rakes in hundreds of millions of pounds every year from the tax on the sale of guns ammunition and shooting related goods and services.The taxpayer does however subsidise many other sports just look at the cost of the Olympics billions and billions thrown at it.  

You really have missed the argument there. You did claim that 600,000 new weapons would have to have a piece of paper to own them, now, if the piece of paper is subject to similar rules than, in theory, remembering your figures, the additional 600,000 (your figures) would cost £90 million pounds to administer. Would it then be feasable to expect the tax payer to foot that bill or should the full charge be levied upon those 600,000 (your figures) who now need the said piece of paper.

Now, just in case you could not grasp the jist, does this not show that the present way of producing pieces of paper cannot be used to cover air weapons? Remember, this number is already in existence, the VAT for these has already been paid and sum at the lower rate of 15% and some may even have had the VAT claimed bach through a business.

I do not need to obtain pieces of paper to run, jump, let loose an arrow, ice skate, ski, throw a metal ball, balance or any other sport that does not need a piece of paper to do.

Edited by shetlandpeat