SNP - Proposed airgun legislation

Redrobbie99

• 2 weeks later...

An interesting article http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-27634336  gun ownership is up but crimes involving guns are now at a record all time low in Scotland.How can this be?

I think Robbie answered it with his link.

Police officers have been patrolling with side arms for a number of years, the armoured vehicles also contain weapons. With the cuts by the Goverment on spending, these officers are now brought back into normal patrols as are Traffic Officers.

Apparently if I hold a valid firearm certificate or shotgun certificate when this airgun bill becomes law, one of these certificares can cover any air weapon in my possession until I need to renew.

At this point it seems I will have to apply for a separate certificate for the air weapon.

At the moment I hold both certificates.

Now all the checks have been done to enable me to own a rifle and shotgun. Why, oh why, do I need to apply for yet another certificate, when apparently one of the certificates already held can cover me until the renewal date.

Why cant the air rifle details just be added to an existing certificate, alongside the details of other weapons held? The Scottish government are weeping over the cost of issuing these certificates, so why on earth issue more than necessary? Where's the common sense here?

It is an odd part that may not have been thought through and one hopes will come up in the readings. Folk need to keep in mind they need to petition members of the SGov to highlight this.

I am happy with a registration system, but am still uncomfortable with the full licensing part, as you mention, it seems that there will be an additional burden on owners and the Police.

Apparently if I hold a valid firearm certificate or shotgun certificate when this airgun bill becomes law, one of these certificares can cover any air weapon in my possession until I need to renew.

At this point it seems I will have to apply for a separate certificate for the air weapon.

Now all the checks have been done to enable me to own a rifle and shotgun. Why, oh why, do I need to apply for yet another certificate, when apparently one of the certificates already held can cover me until the renewal date.

Why cant the air rifle details just be added to an existing certificate, alongside the details of other weapons held? The Scottish government are weeping over the cost of issuing these certificates, so why on earth issue more than necessary? Where's the common sense here?

1: Income generator.

2: More bureaucracy = more job justification.

This is true but the thing is it will be easier to get a shotgun certificate than to get a air gun certificate so people are going to go for a shotgun certificate before the air gun certificate requirement comes into force thus they will automatically get their air gun put on their SGC and thus avoid the much more stringent air gun certificate requirements.      

It is an odd part that may not have been thought through and one hopes will come up in the readings. Folk need to keep in mind they need to petition members of the SGov to highlight this.

I am happy with a registration system, but am still uncomfortable with the full licensing part, as you mention, it seems that there will be an additional burden on owners and the Police.

The big problem with air guns is that most do not have serial numbers unlike ''real'' rifles and shotguns.So how will they be registered ? 

This is yet another ill thought out venture from the Scottish government. From what I've witnessed with the SNP so far I shudder to think what would happen if they assumed power after independence. 

Is that "Gaelic development plan" still on the cards? Where every council in Scotland has to have one. Absolutely ridiculous! There's no history of gaelic up here so why should that be forced upon us? There's more people up here speaking Chinese than there is gaelic.

Will our children be forced to learn that hideous instrument, the bagpipes! Will we have to start knitting those horrendous tartan "tam-o-shanters?" Start throwing cabers around at the Cunningsburgh show perhaps?

Mercifully I dont believe the kilt will catch on, far too draughty here in the winter.

We've seen a fair bit already, but how much more centralisation has Mr Salmond got up his sleeve?

Oh Lord! Please spare us Scottish inependence.

Redrobbie! where do you get the info from stating that it will be easier to get a shotgun certificate than one for an air rifle? I cannot believe this will be the case.

If that is proven to be the case, there's something badly askew somewhere.

With the air gun certificate you will have to prove good reason  for getting one.Not so with current SGC requirements . 

Edited by redrobbie

Redrobbie! where do you get the info from stating that it will be easier to get a shotgun certificate than one for an air rifle? I cannot believe this will be the case.

If that is proven to be the case, there's something badly askew somewhere.

See for yourself http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/S4_Bills/Air%20Weapons%20and%20Licensing%20(Scotland)%20Bill/b49s4-introd.pdf.....http://www.scotland.police.uk/assets/pdf/138327/138331/201-application-form?view=Standard

Edited by redrobbie