What did Alistair Carmichael (Orkney & Shetland), Vote?

papastour

In answer to some of the fears expressed over how gay marriage might affect the mankinds viability, there are a lot of things that might compromise the future of the human race. The percentage of homosexuals is not one of them.

Well said. This obsession with suppressing homosexuality often points to sexual hang-ups of one kind or another on the part of those obsessed.

I completely fail to see why any non-religious individual would want to give a toss about marriage in the first place. In its simplest form marriage is a "club" run by the government, the idea for which and much of the rules they stole off religion. In which "members" are obliged to sign up to the rules of the club whether they like them all or not, its an all or nothing deal, you either take as is, or walk away, there is no opportunity to negotiate any of the rules. The majority who do sign up seem unable or unwilling to abide by the club rules, yet are allowed to break as many as they like as often as they like by the club's governors without consequence, which just turns the whole exercise in to a laughable farce.

I tend to believe that if a non-religious person feels the need to join the "marriage club" to "feel properly married", that they're probably shacking up with the wrong partner, whatever sexuality or species any of them happen to be.

Ghostrider,why do you characterise marriage as religious?

on my brief reading round on the history of marriage,it appears to have been established for many reasons,economic,cultural,social...and yes religious...but not solely religious.

In fact from an anthropological point of view,it appears the other way round,religion absorbed the practice. maybe they absorbed it too well,and we now can only associated with religious practices.

People marry,or not, for many reasons. For most people I have encountered,even those that get married in church,it is for the idea of commitment. As you have stated,it does not always equal that..but hey ho,we all have good intentions.

It is all about labels. Folk love labels. Then they can stick them into boxes. Folk love boxes. It makes them feel better and then they can have a lovely opinion and think they are right having labelled and boxed everything tidily away.

And then they want to force their labels onto you and help you with your boxes and so it continues.......

Ghostrider,why do you characterise marriage as religious?

on my brief reading round on the history of marriage,it appears to have been established for many reasons,economic,cultural,social...and yes religious...but not solely religious.

In fact from an anthropological point of view,it appears the other way round,religion absorbed the practice. maybe they absorbed it too well,and we now can only associated with religious practices.

As that is, rightly or wrongly, the general preception I have encountered among the majority of non-religious and not particularly religious people.

It doesn't surprise me that it may be factually inaccurate, as if it is it just proves how much religion has commandeered and dominated it, which to my mind amounts to pretty much the same thing as starting it.

People marry,or not, for many reasons. For most people I have encountered,even those that get married in church,it is for the idea of commitment. As you have stated,it does not always equal that..but hey ho,we all have good intentions.

Oh, I'm not knocking it, if it works for some that's all to the good. However I just can't make the connection that signing a piece of paper, subscribing to a pre-set slew of "rules" and entangling all concerned in a legal minefield should either partner change their mind somehow = commitment. It kinda reinforces my earlier point, that if one partner cannot trust the other's word when they look them straight in the eye and promise them exactly the same commitment, that perhaps they may not be with the right partner.

What bothers me about the whole gay(?) marriage argument is that it is being hijacked by 'polarised' groups to the extent that there is no longer any middle ground that might apply to a large majority.

Personally, I couldn't care less whether ANYONE gets married or not. It's none of my business dictating how anyone lives their life but, having said that, there are more than 7 Billion individuals on the planet what the hell does it matter what a few of the rejects get up to...

:twisted:

What bothers me about the whole gay(?) marriage argument is that it is being hijacked by 'polarised' groups to the extent that there is no longer any middle ground that might apply to a large majority.

Personally, I couldn't care less whether ANYONE gets married or not. It's none of my business dictating how anyone lives their life but, having said that, there are more than 7 Billion individuals on the planet what the hell does it matter what a few of the rejects get up to...

:twisted:

It's a Yes/No question.

Where's the middle ground?

And who, exactly, are you calling a reject?

There is other beliefs out there. Christianity has its belief that being gay is wrong. Thats it. Dont try and make priests marry gays if its not there belief. Gays should have the right to get married but the church has the right to follow what it has believed since it started. I am not religious but they just have to get married in the legal sense.

You can not pick and choose what to believe and what not to believe about a religion. If you say your a christian but you do not believe in its views on gays... then your not a christian. If you dont believe its views then dont follow it. Why do you want to get married under a god that says its wrong. Follow another ideology that will lead you down a road you want to go down.

Just be human. Have common sense and do what you want. Dont do something that you dont want to do. Dont follow an ideology. It will lead you down a road that isnt necessarily good for you and you will just follow it Blindley because its your belief.. cult mind.

Go through life with an open mind... nobody should be discriminated.

I disagree with you that you can't be a Christian and disagree with the church's view on gay people.

Christ himself didn't live life according to the old testament. He would not have agreed that adulterers should be stoned, for example.

The church takes the bible and chooses its interpretation. Any individual should be free to do the same.

Just because you disagree with a particular church's view does not mean you don't adhere to Christian principles. In fact it could be said that bigotry and intolerance are unchristian.

I disagree with you that you can't be a Christian and disagree with the church's view on gay people.

Christ himself didn't live life according to the old testament. He would not have agreed that adulterers should be stoned, for example.

The church takes the bible and chooses its interpretation. Any individual should be free to do the same.

Just because you disagree with a particular church's view does not mean you don't adhere to Christian principles. In fact it could be said that bigotry and intolerance are unchristian.

Well said.

• 3 weeks later...

Good thing about being in Papa Stour is you have time and space to be FREE THINKING!! :D

It's taken me a long time to pick myself up off the floor helpless with laughter at this one! Free Thinking! You are expecting everyone to take the word of a book of folklore and myth, written 2 millenia ago, hopelessly outdated and hopelessly mistranslated over that time, seriously? You cut and paste text off the internet from religious fanatics and you reckon you are free thinking?

And what's an even bigger laugh is that you seem to think we should take you seriously!

Quick word of advice. Now may not be the best time to promote the churches thoughts on this. Let's hope the conclave in the vatican this week does not start with the words, "let he who is without sin"! The doors won't be wide enough for the mass exodus!