What did Alistair Carmichael (Orkney & Shetland), Vote?

papastour

It will undermine marriage

Evidence shows that redefining marriage

actually undermines support for marriage

in wider society. Neither has it delivered

the promised stability for same-sex

couples. In Spain, after gay marriage

was introduced, marriage rates across

the whole population plummeted.1 In

the Netherlands too there has been a

significant fall in the marriage rate since

marriage was redefined.2 Same-sex

marriage does not promote marriage

what utter rubbish.

gay marriage does not undermine standard marriage. there is no reason for a truly committed couple not to marry.

trying to blame the fall in the marriage rate on gays desiring to be bound as a couple is nonsense.

gays getting married does not suddenly does not reduce the rate of marriage what does is the lack of a desire from the unwed hetros. hence there should be the same rights as the gays ie civil partners.

harking back to when couples were forced to wed will not happen. being into family history i know the number of relationships that failed. a lot less than now but then they died younger and whats to say an unhappy wed couple is better than a single couple or even a gay couple.

SHOULD WE STILL BAN WOMEN FOR BEING UNCLEAN DURING THEIR PERIOD.

or i like this one

Deuteronomy 21:18 If a man have a stubborn and rebellious son, which will not obey the voice of his father, or the voice of his mother, and that, when they have chastened him, will not hearken unto them:

Deuteronomy 21:19 Then shall his father and his mother lay hold on him, and bring him out unto the elders of his city, and unto the gate of his place;

Deuteronomy 21:20 And they shall say unto the elders of his city, This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton, and a drunkard.

Deuteronomy 21:21 And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die: so shalt thou put evil away from among you; and all Israel shall hear, and fear.

Same-sex couples already have equality.

All the legal rights of marriage are already

available to same-sex couples through

civil partnerships. Equality doesn’t

mean bland uniformity or state-imposed

sameness. If the Government genuinely

wants to pursue equality, why is it banning

heterosexual couples from entering a civil

partnership? Same-sex couples have equal

rights through civil partnerships, but they

don’t have the right to redefine marriage

for everyone else.

At some stage perhaps ater all the debating and info we should put up a question with a voting poll on Shetlink if the Gov is right to change the definition of marriage?

I am not angered by his vote, I keep no record of his vote as I know MPs change their minds like the Shetland Wind.

Really? Because that's definitely not what you said.

Let me be clear

1. I WILL remember if you vote for this Bill.

2. I WILL hold you to account for it.

3. I WILL tell all my friends and family and to all the public in Shetland Islands your views and how you acted.

Good thing about being in Papa Stour is you have time and space to be FREE THINKING!! :D

No, the good thing about you being in Papa Stour is that it means you can't mix amongst the wider public and spread your woefully ignorant bile everywhere.

The public don’t want it

Seven in ten people want to keep

marriage as it is.

Other polling which

purports to show public support for gay

marriage fails to tell respondents that

equal rights are already available through

civil partnerships.

When people are told

this crucial fact, most people say keep

marriage as it is.

MPs say their postbags

have been dominated by public opposition

to redefining marriage.

Ordinary people

want the Government to concentrate

on reviving the economy and providing

better public services, not meddling with

marriage.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/gay-marriage-public-say-church-is-wrong-8431263.html

This poll suggests that twice as many are for gay marriage than are against it

http://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/eiy9720btf/YG-Archives-Pol-ST-results-11-130512.pdf

This yougov poll suggests a majority - 51% - in favour of gay marriage

http://www.populus.co.uk/uploads/OmGay_Rights.pdf

This poll found 65% in favour of gay marriage, 27% against.

I am more interested in the truth,the facts, the real facts...
no. no you are not.

quite aside from the inaccuracies and glaring contradictions in your posts, it is clear from the formatting, phrasing and grammar that you are just copying and pasting christian propaganda. a quick google of some of the phrases confirms this.

fascinating insight into your idea of FREE THINKING though. presumably you meant 'free' as in 'unencumbered by'...

any gay people thinking of getting married soon? as will be your legal right, why not go somewhere lovely like papa stour for your big day? make it FABULOUS!

how does gay marriage undermine hetro marriage? no seriously,i don`t get it.

When women got the vote,did that stop men voting...the ones that were anti womens voting?

looking at records from the 1950`s onwards,there were 165,018 divorces in 1993 (no gay marriage,no civil partnerships) what was undermining marriage then? 1993 was a peak year.

Where do you get the idea that same sex marriage should "promote " marriage?it is a move to provide equality,it does not seek to bolster,promote or support marriage in a general sense at all. Its likely that less and less people choose not to marry for many reasons,economic,political,philosophical etc we do not live in a world where marriage is an essential.

I`m sorry,but cut and paste jobs from christian sites is not going to impress many of us.

The fact is, thank the universe! gradually over time,human rights get extended more and more. If in fact there was a general consensus against gay rights,there would not be any....and we would still have slaves!

People develop ideas all the time over what is right or wrong,if they didn`t my life as a women,or a non land owner for instance, would be completely different to what it is now.

As for your neighbour thing,try to imagine that not everyone thinks like you,has the same beliefs,or wants to do things the way they have "always been done on the island"..things change,you may need to too. its easy to get on with people you like,have things in common with,surely the true mark of a person is helping someone you don`t!

By a margin of 2-1, people oppose the Government's proposal to make it illegal for the Church of England to conduct gay marriages.

'people'? I must have missed this referendum, or was this a local poll on the Big Isle?

For someone who promotes free thinking, you do seem to spend a lot of time being led by modern media and religous fables.

Thanks to everyone for passing on your views. This has helped continue to let as many people in Shetland know what Alistair Carmichael MP voted on the subject of redefining marriage.

Plus as a added bonus you have helped remind me why Papa Stour is one of the best places for me to live.

Shall we have a mini vote of our own on Shetlink. Is the UK Gov wrong to redefine marriage?

Did our MP ask for the people of Shetlands views on redefining marriage at the last election?

Or shall we leave all the opinions and real voting to Alistair Carmichael MP? Let him think for us!!