Local Business Warning

shetlandlady

I would just like to take the time to warn everyone not to deal with Rearo in Shetland unless it is some kind of life or death emergency...and only then if you don't mind throwing your money away at what is without a doubt one of the worst companies I have ever had the displeasure of dealing with.

All I wanted was a simple gas cooker installation, phoned and was quoted a price, agreed and it was done......only to be sent an invoice for twice the quote. What ever happened to "the customer is always right" or even taking some responsibility for your own businesses poor staff training. All we got was "oh well we don't know who quoted you that so its not our problem".

After refusing to pay so much more than we were quoted the manager then said to leave it with him and he'd sort something out, then came another invoice for the same, spoke to them again and was told again the manager is looking at it and now I have a letter from a debt collector with an extra £50 charge and the threat of ruining my credit score!!! All because the manager clearly speaks as much s**t as whoever gave me the quote on the phone.

I hope firmly that the other gas company that are based in hillswick expand and ruin Rearo, they wouldn't be a miss in this community, all you hear is horror stories and they get away with murder because of their monopoly.

Disgusting business!

they fitted our stove a few years ago. they had to replace all the pipe work because it was leaking. this did cost slightly more but not a massive amount.

they have always been friendly with us.

we did try to get them to fit a gas central heating system but never bothered to quote us so we went for a multi fuel system instead.

not paying is not the best way to challenge this. have you got a written quote for the work to be done. do you know why its doubled was there extra work needed. please don't forget a lot of quotes don't include vat which does add a lot onto the bill.

our heating system was put in by a chap from vidlin. he is gas safe registered. its always best to shop around. very friendly and helpful.

phoned JRJ for a quote on an exhaust was phoned back with a quote of £250 plus vat and fitting

once on was charged nearly £500 exhaust cost £400 no word of an apology or explanation unfortunately hubby paid without complaining

at the very least we should have been warned of the price difference BEFORE it was fitted

lost a regular customer

Have you spoken to the CAB?

I think I am right in saying that if you pay what you agreed, then they cannot chase you for the difference with bullying tactics like that, and would have to prove that similar jobs did actually cost more. A salesman misquoting is their problem, not yours, unless the fitters encountered more work than was expected.

If they have no record of the "low" quote (you don't say what it was), how come they came and did the job in the first place? Something amiss there... maybe a disgruntled salesman? Or maybe you misheard - the problem with phone quotes. No excuse for them not to have followed up with at least a confirming email.

But this is armchair legal advice, so please ask the CAB!

Yeah that's just for fitting, they didn't encounter any problems, we didn't even have the kitchen in so there was nothing in the way. It's a simple case that whoever quoted me over the phone (160-180) didn't know what they were on about and wont own up to making a mistake under quoting me.

I will definitely always get a written quote in the future, truth is if they'd have quoted me 300 in the first place i'd have told them where to go and spent a bit of time sourcing an alternative.

I spoke to trading standards about it, needless to say they weren't very impressed but with lack of a written quote there isn't much that can be done.

Too late for rearo though. I've done up several kitchens as have many of my friends and they'll get no good recommendations from me. Crap service then crap treatment afterwards, no communication and lying to customers....pretty much defines a bad business no?

It's now over £315. For less than half an hours work with practically no parts, just one pipe.

So thats just a fitting cost, ie they didnt supply the cooker as well?

Is that including the admin/debt collector's fee?

OP, I'd be inclined to advise them that the Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000 apply and that they can get stuffed unless they can prove that they have acted outside the provisions of that Act.

Yeah that's just for fitting, they didn't encounter any problems, we didn't even have the kitchen in so there was nothing in the way. It's a simple case that whoever quoted me over the phone (160-180) didn't know what they were on about and wont own up to making a mistake under quoting me.

I will definitely always get a written quote in the future, truth is if they'd have quoted me 300 in the first place i'd have told them where to go and spent a bit of time sourcing an alternative.

I spoke to trading standards about it, needless to say they weren't very impressed but with lack of a written quote there isn't much that can be done.

Too late for rearo though. I've done up several kitchens as have many of my friends and they'll get no good recommendations from me. Crap service then crap treatment afterwards, no communication and lying to customers....pretty much defines a bad business no?