lochside motor mile ban

should council remove lochside motor-mile ban  

114 members have voted

1. 1. should council remove lochside motor-mile ban

• yes
    • no

whats everyones views on the recent council ban for using lochside to display their vehicles for sale?

i personally dont see what the problem was as long as they were mot'd, taxed, insured and parked properly.

yes i fully understand that the local residents think its parking for outside their house, but im afraid its not. its a public road and anyone can park there! i know its annoying as nearly every dinnertime, teatime and early evenings when there is something on in islesburgh community centre people use the street i live on as an overspill car park and i cant get near my house. i wonder if i should complain to the council and get signs put up to stop this too?

most of the time it doesn't bother me ,as I don't live there, except when watching matches at the Clickimin pitches.

Perhaps the council could make some money by making it a pay and diplay car park. I wouldn't mind paying for the hour or so I am there.

Filskit - it's not a public road that the cars are parked on, it's a designated parking area.

I'm not saying that I have a problem with folk flogging their cars there, I haven't, but if it is causing problems for the folk in that area, then really they should get priority over Mr Roadside Motors & Co.

But, if it's just council meddling and there's room for all - then leave well alone.

Any residents on here? It would be interesting to hear their viewpoints.

I'm indifferent, as I don't live there nor have any real need or desire to go there much. Its really down to whether residents object, and/or if folk rubber necking the goods are causing an otherwise un-necessary (and problematic) volume of traffic on the road, and/or are being obstructive slowing down or stopping in whatever they're driving.

Given that its been used in this way for around two decades, its taken the SIC long enough to get the hump over it enough to start huffing and puffing about it, legal, illegal or otherwise.

That said, both complaints in the past over the speed some folk have driven on the road, and now this, is a rod the SIC made for its own back IMHO with once again going for a "Rolls Royce" option when they remade the road.

Yes, its fine having a nice wide clear straightish road to get from one side of the town to the other, but its design is more in keeping with a 60 limit road, not a 30, and what was the purpose of making so much parking on the opposite side to the houses anyway. It didn't take much imagination to surmise that if there was far more space than residents needed, that other hellery would get parked there by folk, its not like there weren't enough clues. Back in the latter days of the old North Lochside road there were all kinds of "vehicles" parked off on the hardcore as soon as it was laid, from construction machinery awaiting onward moving to its next job, to artic trailers, to totalled wrecks hauled there from wherever else in the town they'd been terminally wounded, until the owner finally claimed them back one way or another.

It is legal to sell or advertise for sale a car on the public road but there is a limit to number that one vendor can advertise (three if I remember right). This won't be a problem for the people using Lochside (unless they have a small fleet of their own vehicles for sale there at the same time).

What might be a problem is that it has become a very popular place to sell car - there's a range of all sorts, the stock changes regularly and the prices are negotiable. This is much more than can be said for a lot of the professional forecourts and could well be bugbear of their's. I wouldn't be surprised if one of the local garages had had a quiet word in a Councillors ear in an attempt to remove the competition.

I'm sorry but I think it's time this council got it's priorities in order. After almost two years in the job this council are still spending £80 odd thousand pounds they haven't got and the only thing on there minds is that some people are selling cars on the Clickimin road. So what are they costing the council money NO, They have been doing it for 20 odd years.

If the people in the houses opposite are complaining (they must also remember that they don't pay any rates for the parking area it dosen't belong to them) then move the car sellers up towards the old Toilets it's not rocket science.

But really this council needs to get a grip or there will be no Money left for the next generation. :(

I'm not sure that its the residents who are complaining as most do have their own drives.

I thought the parking spaces had been developed with the Clickimin and playing fields in mind. It can be annoying when a match or a major event is on and it's full of cars for sale resulting in cars filling up the streets around local residents, but that's life!

I will admit I put a car their for sale many years ago. And it sold within two days.

The police say its because of rubber necking, which I've seen happen, but again how many accidents have their been? Although there is the argument it's about prevention.

I remember putting a car for sale at Sutherlands and paying a token fee for the privilege, so if someone had a bit if waste land they could be making a few pounds on it 8)

I suppose I have mixed feelings about it. But it will be interesting to see what would happen if action was taken against someone. I'm not sure they would be breaking any laws as long as the vehicle was fully legal. : :roll:

It may come under trading standards. To sell something on the highway or on council owned land may need a license. Many boroughs here have such laws. We're the spaces not originally put there because of the sports facilities?

http://www.shetland.gov.uk/environmentalhealth/documents/StreetTradersGuidanceNotes.doc

Copied this from the Clean Neighbourhoods and Environment Act 2005

3 Exposing vehicles for sale on a road.

(1)A person is guilty of an offence if at any time— .

(a)he leaves two or more motor vehicles parked within 500 metres of each other on a road or roads where they are exposed or advertised for sale, or .

(b)he causes two or more motor vehicles to be so left. .

(2)A person is not to be convicted of an offence under subsection (1) if he proves to the satisfaction of the court that he was not acting for the purposes of a business of selling motor vehicles. .

(3)A person guilty of an offence under subsection (1) is liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding level 4 on the standard scale. .

(4)In this section— .

“motor vehicle†has the same meaning as in the Refuse Disposal (Amenity) Act 1978 (c. 3);

“road†has the same meaning as in the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 (c. 27).

You can view it all here:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2005/16/contents

So I understand from 1 (B) that if you are the second person to park you are committing an offence even if the other car is not yours.