lochside motor mile ban

should council remove lochside motor-mile ban  

114 members have voted

1. 1. should council remove lochside motor-mile ban

• yes
    • no

I thought the parking spaces had been developed with the Clickimin and playing fields in mind. It can be annoying when a match or a major event is on and it's full of cars for sale resulting in cars filling up the streets around local residents, but that's life!

quote]

I thought that the Clickimin had its own car park for the centre AND pitches running track ??? Maybe the viewers of said football matches should bloody well use them !! Maybe the main complainers have been a few rather rotund watchers who cant be arsed to walk a few yards to watch said silly game.

I dont think any law is being broken by advertising a car for sale there , and I will have no hestitation of putting one there. More so if its only a lot of hot air and bullcrap from a few elected "Members" ( Emphasis on Members ). Im going to check the Police's position tmrw.

Personally I Dinna hae a problem at all wi folk selling cars and such at loch side. It's always been dat wye for as Lang as I can mind. I got me freelander selt there within a few days. Plus you can hae a good look at some o da cars when your wandering by on a fine day.

Really whits da problem?

Never mind, there soon won't be room to park cars for sale there. It'll be full of caravans, camper vans and whatnot, that would otherwise have been at the campsite, had there still been one. They're just planning ahead to summer, as there's no way they'd get a new one built in less than 10 years, even if they could find the cash.

The SIC moves in mysterious ways. :wink:

I thought the parking spaces had been developed with the Clickimin and playing fields in mind. It can be annoying when a match or a major event is on and it's full of cars for sale resulting in cars filling up the streets around local residents, but that's life!

quote]

I thought that the Clickimin had its own car park for the centre AND pitches running track ??? Maybe the viewers of said football matches should bloody well use them !! Maybe the main complainers have been a few rather rotund watchers who cant be arsed to walk a few yards to watch said silly game

Du could weel be right, but my point wis made from a disabled point of view, not everyone can comfortably walk that distance, nor stand out in th cold :cry:

Du could weel be right, but my point wis made from a disabled point of view, not everyone can comfortably walk that distance, nor stand out in th cold :cry:

Maybe half a dozen clearly marked disabled spaces and some actual enforcement by the police would solve the problem then without wiping out the whole motor-mile?

Walked that stretch of Lochside this morning. All but 2 of the houses have private parking, the ones with drives could ALL fit 2 cars most could easily fit 3 and some 4/5. So, plenty of space for the home owners and guests to park without using that stretch.

Could it be that the residents(If they're the complainers) are annoyed their view out their sitting room windows are made poorer by the cars? This problem rears it's head back and fore, personally I think the council should be focusing on other things but as a solution could the stretch be kept clear for the summer months when sport is on and all other times it could be used as it has been for the last 20 years?

Walked that stretch of Lochside this morning. All but 2 of the houses have private parking, the ones with drives could ALL fit 2 cars most could easily fit 3 and some 4/5. So, plenty of space for the home owners and guests to park without using that stretch.

Could it be that the residents(If they're the complainers) are annoyed their view out their sitting room windows are made poorer by the cars? This problem rears it's head back and fore, personally I think the council should be focusing on other things but as a solution could the stretch be kept clear for the summer months when sport is on and all other times it could be used as it has been for the last 20 years?

totaly agree, i was along the other day and on the entire strech they were only 3 cars there, hardly a rush of residents. I think the guy on the radio can't have much to do that hes bothering folk on where they sell their cars, bet hes the guy thinking up all the daft fat pavments that seen to be sticking out into the middle of some of the toon roads too.

I think the council might have too many folk in that office

I think they have a point of it being a distraction, I nearly hit a couple o brats dashing across road in front of me when I was looking at cars.

Gave me a fright and although I would have probably got away with running them over I would not been able to handle the guilt of knowing I was not paying attention at the time.

I have over 30 years of motoring without incident or points and I cant believe I am the only one guilty of this.

Maybe half a dozen clearly marked disabled spaces and some actual enforcement by the police would solve the problem then without wiping out the whole motor-mile?

Would never begrudge anybody with a disability parking up to watch a game , and yes a tin of paint and some designated parking spaces would be ideal and I think most decent people would leave that spaces clear. Anybody leaving a car for sale in such a space would deserve getting a ticket / vehicle removed.

So who is behind this , thats what I would like to know ? Is it legitimate or is it just some little twerp , of which there are many , in the sic with a peerie power trip ? If so it should just be treated with the contempt it deserves........ :)

Could it be that the residents(If they're the complainers) are annoyed their view out their sitting room windows are made poorer by the cars?

Nope, not that. I haven't complained about them, but some times it was ridiculous. The Olympic flame event for example. Prime viewing spot for that, and nobody could park there as there was at most two or three spaces as everything else was for sale. My driveway was full of guests that day. Seen plenty of matches similarly full up.

There was often people driving down the 'pavement' the wrong way, not looking ahead. There would also be folk leaving their engines running and getting out to look for five minutes - after 11pm or before 7am. Seems very loud in the middle of the night - especially when it's a diesel engine (Even the odd bus driver was guilty of it as well).

I always park well enough back so visitors can park in front of me. Saves them getting mown down crossing the road too (Most couldn't reverse to save their lives though... :-) )

You may want to have a look at Section 97 of The Roads (Scotland) Act 1984,

“97 Trading

(1) Without prejudice to section 129(9) of this Act and subject to subsections (2) and (4) below, no person shall, for the purpose of selling anything, or offering or exposing anything for sale, use any stall or similar structure or any container or vehicle, kept or placed on -

(a) any part of a trunk or principal road ; or

(B) unenclosed land within 15 metres of any part of any such road,

except with the consent in writing of the roads authority and in accordance with such reasonable conditions as the authority think fit.â€

Subsections (2) to (6) go on to give further conditions and exceptions.

So I take it that Lochside is a principal road, and since the parking is within 15m of it, consent would be needed to sell cars there.

This isn’t a Council idea, it is national legislation covering all of Scotland and has been there for nearly thirty years. It has obviously been ignored up to now, but since the Council is now highlighting it, and especially if they have put up signs, that sort of takes away the excuse of not knowing about it if the police decide some day to issue a few tickets.

You may want to have a look at Section 97 of The Roads (Scotland) Act 1984,

“97 Trading

(1) Without prejudice to section 129(9) of this Act and subject to subsections (2) and (4) below, no person shall, for the purpose of selling anything, or offering or exposing anything for sale, use any stall or similar structure or any container or vehicle, kept or placed on -

(a) any part of a trunk or principal road ; or

except with the consent in writing of the roads authority and in accordance with such reasonable conditions as the authority think fit.â€

(B) unenclosed land within 15 metres of any part of any such road,

Subsections (2) to (6) go on to give further conditions and exceptions.

So I take it that Lochside is a principal road, and since the parking is within 15m of it, consent would be needed to sell cars there.

This isn’t a Council idea, it is national legislation covering all of Scotland and has been there for nearly thirty years. It has obviously been ignored up to now, but since the Council is now highlighting it, and especially if they have put up signs, that sort of takes away the excuse of not knowing about it if the police decide some day to issue a few tickets.

So if thats the case why now are they making such a big thing over it ? Is it just a little sabre rattling goin on in the offices wi ower many underworked overpaid pedantic nitwits or what ? There seems to be quite a bit of opposition to the motor mile on here going by the vote , but not many comments against it ? :roll:

Also , if you look at the legislation......(B) unenclosed land within 15 metres of any part of any such road,

Doesnt that kinda point to almost , if not all garages in lerwick , if not shetland are breaking the law ?