lochside motor mile ban

should council remove lochside motor-mile ban  

114 members have voted

1. 1. should council remove lochside motor-mile ban

• yes
    • no

recently I was asked on behalf of my grandparents to sell their car because of ill health and severe lack of use,

I cleaned the car and made up for sale signs and placed it on lochside, my grandparents have had me as a named driver on their insurance policy for many years as I always serviced it and took it for mot's etc and also my policy covers me third party on any other vehicle that is not in my name and is insured by the owner.. So insurance certainly wasn't a problem.

A few days prior to this I placed my own car on for sale at the other end of lochside as I had bought a new car and since it was a private sale, I couldn't trade it in. My new vehicle had been added to my admiral policy, who can insure multiple cars under the one policy so once again, insurance certainly wasn't an issue.

Does this make me a motor vehicle trader? Should I have refused to try help out my grandparents because I was trying to sell my car at the same time?

Awww, down to name calling. So, I should capitulate because you say. Perhaps. Alas, the facts remain the same.

Anyhow it is up to the driver to ensure all documentation is correct. If in doubt, ask the insurer..

Also, if it were a trivial as folk seem to think. Where are the cars now?

I would like to see the statute book according to Shetlink users. It would fill Lerwick harbour. Though, I guess some may think I should be there too.

There you go. Carry on.

The laws, as far as this is concerned is to protect the public.from its self.

Awww, down to name calling. So, I should capitulate because you say. Perhaps. Alas, the facts remain the same.

Anyhow it is up to the driver to ensure all documentation is correct. If in doubt, ask the insurer..

Also, if it were a trivial as folk seem to think. Where are the cars now?

I would like to see the statute book according to Shetlink users. It would fill Lerwick harbour. Though, I guess some may think I should be there too.

There you go. Carry on.

The laws, as far as this is concerned is to protect the public.from its self.

Hardly name calling as you put it, you would know if I started name calling!

So if you wish to continue the debate lets go there Pete. Lets look at the above post.

Pete says "the facts remain the same". Yes they do you insinuated that cars for sale may not be insured. But refuse to back it up with any hard facts.

Pete says" anyhow it's up to the driver to ensure all documentation is correct, if in doubt ask the insurers" where has this come from, you are the only one who has suggested " many" cars may not be insured.

Pete says" Also, if it were as trivial as folk seem to think, where are the cars now". Who said it was trivial, another side step Pete?

Pete says" I would like to see the statute book according to Shetlink users, it would fill Lerwick harbour" yet another side step.

Pete says " though I guess some may think I should be there too" At last something we agree on :wink:

Pete says" there you go carry on" Pete thinks he's winning the discussion!

Pete says" The laws, as far as this is concerned is to protect the public. From itself". Glad you feel your an expert on law as well as everything else you attempt to provide us with your vast knowledge and wisdom.

To suggest the cars may not be legal without anything to support it was questionable at best, and worst is not having the bottle to admit it maybe was a daft thing to say.

Now come on Pete, reply with your usual sidestepping and additional points which have nothing to do with the point in discussion. I've got all night.

Since the Police National Computer can now check if vehicles are taxed and insured......not sure about the MOT.........then it would be simple for a couple of officers to check all the cars parked there and to take action against those not complying with the law. But I am certain that before PNC checks were available many of the cars would not have been totally legal.

recently I was asked on behalf of my grandparents to sell their car because of ill health and severe lack of use,

I cleaned the car and made up for sale signs and placed it on lochside, my grandparents have had me as a named driver on their insurance policy for many years as I always serviced it and took it for mot's etc and also my policy covers me third party on any other vehicle that is not in my name and is insured by the owner.. So insurance certainly wasn't a problem.

A few days prior to this I placed my own car on for sale at the other end of lochside as I had bought a new car and since it was a private sale, I couldn't trade it in. My new vehicle had been added to my admiral policy, who can insure multiple cars under the one policy so once again, insurance certainly wasn't an issue.

Does this make me a motor vehicle trader? Should I have refused to try help out my grandparents because I was trying to sell my car at the same time?

I cant think that any decent person here would think anything wrong with that at all , I wouldnt have any hesitation in doing the same myself , neither would many others......and without thinking you were a motor trader. Anyways who's to say that maybe a family have 2 or 3 cars and want to reduce the number of cars so put say all 3 on to "see what happens" Thats not being a motor trader , as others seem to want us believe....its plain and simple economics.

I cant think that any decent person here would think anything wrong with that at all , I wouldnt have any hesitation in doing the same myself , neither would many others......and without thinking you were a motor trader. Anyways who's to say that maybe a family have 2 or 3 cars and want to reduce the number of cars so put say all 3 on to Lochside to "see what happens" Thats not being a motor trader , as others seem to want us believe....its plain and simple economics.

Seems a draconian measure for the authorities to take. Have they put up signs prohibiting vehicle sales? If so, just put a sign up saying "This vehicle is not for sale. I may decide to sell it in the future at a price of £SPECIFY. If interested, please call SPECIFY. Oxna

Seems a draconian measure for the authorities to take. Have they put up signs prohibiting vehicle sales? If so, just put a sign up saying "This vehicle is not for sale. I may decide to sell it in the future at a price of £SPECIFY. If interested, please call SPECIFY. Oxna

:lik:

notwithstanding the fact that i personally think banning the use of lochside for selling cars is another obtuse facist reaction we have become all too acustomed to in shetland what is a sensible alternative?

the shetland times and shetlink classifieds dont really offer a similar selling opportunity, i am sometimes full of regret after posting something for sale after spending countless hours emailing daft questions or photos when a prospective buyer could spend 5 minutes satisfying themselves looking at a car at lochside, so with this in mind what is a sensible, viable alternative since it has become all too easy to ban things without offering any kind of other option.

notwithstanding the fact that i personally think banning the use of lochside for selling cars is another obtuse facist reaction we have become all too acustomed to in shetland what is a sensible alternative?

the shetland times and shetlink classifieds dont really offer a similar selling opportunity, i am sometimes full of regret after posting something for sale after spending countless hours emailing daft questions or photos when a prospective buyer could spend 5 minutes satisfying themselves looking at a car at lochside, so with this in mind what is a sensible, viable alternative since it has become all too easy to ban things without offering any kind of other option.

Couldn't agree more. Solving one problem by creating another is not the best solution :cry:

• 10 months later...