lochside motor mile ban

should council remove lochside motor-mile ban  

114 members have voted

1. 1. should council remove lochside motor-mile ban

• yes
    • no

During my searches on this law, all I could find was that the motor trade couldn't have 2 cars parked within a certain distance on a stretch of road. Couldn't see anything stopping Joe Blogs putting a car for sale on a public road, but perhaps just didn't find the correct article.

During my searches on this law, all I could find was that the motor trade couldn't have 2 cars parked within a certain distance on a stretch of road. Couldn't see anything stopping Joe Blogs putting a car for sale on a public road, but perhaps just didn't find the correct article.

It is part of the Street Traders Licensing that S.I.C. is responsible for.

The Act defines 'street trading' as doing any of the following things in a public place:

(a) hawking, selling or offering or exposing for sale any article; and

(B) offering to carry out or carrying out for money any service;

to any person in the public place and it includes doing any of these things in or from a vehicle, kiosk or moveable stall which is not entered in the valuation roll.

Adverising a vehicle from your drive you can do, not on the public highway, unless you have the correct license. To obtain a licence you would need to satisfy certain legal obligations, ie Public Liability Insurance and the such.

You can get further details from the S.I.C. offices.

this is typical of the local business establishment holding power over our elected members of the council they can dictate the rules and the council will bow to their demands the only winners are the ferry operators and the mainland motor trade who will sell their wares and the private sellers have a larger audience for second hand vehicles most shelties are very carefull about money and i know of some who also get their mot.s down the road as the garages here cow tow to the god of ministry of transport 

The Act defines 'street trading' as doing any of the following things in a public place:

( B) offering to carry out or carrying out for money any service;

to any person in the public place and it includes doing any of these things in or from a vehicle, kiosk or moveable stall which is not entered in the valuation roll.

Any chance of a link to the relevant Section of this alleged "Act" you claim to be quoting from, so that folk can peruse it in context. The above wording taken as a stand alone statement would mean every grasscutter, builder, painter, telecom engineer, satellite installer etc, etc would need to be a licenced "street trader".

( B) offering to carry out or carrying out for money any service;

I wonder if there is a precedence of this having been used in court in the context in which we are applying it.

If a private individual has a for sale notice displayed in a single vehicle which is road taxed, insured, with MOT and is parked legally I do not see that this falls foul of this legislation. This is intended to apply to someone carrying on an unlicenced business (the clue is in the words street trading) and in my opinion any attempt to prosecute someone selling a single privately owned car would be thrown out by the judge.

From what I have read, this act stops folk trading or plying trade on the highways. You can signwrite a vehicle, but cannot advertise that vehicle for sale. A garage near us has done that to a van, although an eyesore, he is OK to signwright his MOT business with an arrow on the Taxed, tasted, legally parked road worthy vehicle. Perhaps someone should test it!

As for the link, I have already posted the link before, on these pages.

Edited by shetlandpeat

As for the link, I have already posted the link before, on these pages.

Best try posting it again then Peat and stop the stalling, as your alleged "link" seems to have gone AWOL while your back was turned.

The only links you have posted on this thread I can find are to Notes based on the SIC's interpretation of legislation, Notes based on the Government's interpretation of road signage legislation, and to a 2005 Act that is applicable to only England and Wales. While the first may have some bearing on the situation (subject to independent legal advice), the second has minimal, and the latter absolutely zero.

Your back up your stance in this debate with a the quote from an unidentified source in post #96, alleging it is the wording of part of some unspecified statute, and make a statement in post #98 allegedly referencing some un-named statute allegedly enacted in 1982. Link(s) to the exact and full wording of both of these statutes (or the single statute if both are from the same source) in their entirety, or your quote and statement have no credibility and cannot be interpreted correctly anyway without the benefit of being analysed in their original context.

Not hard Peat, presumably you found the statute(s) to be able to allegedly quote from them/it and name them/it?? Finding them/it again and copying/pasting the page URL(s) in to a post is as easy.

Park at Lochside.  Take photograph.  Place on Facebook/here/wherever "This is my vehicle when parked at Lochside".  Whack your mobile phone number on a small card/sticky on a side window (so as to not cause obstruction to vision for driving).  Park again at Lochside.

It isn't illegal to have your mobile phone number on your car.  It's not your fault if somebody happens to call you up to enquire as to whether your vehicle is for sale.  I mean, it wasn't, but if someone wants to offer you cash. ;-)