lochside motor mile ban

should council remove lochside motor-mile ban  

114 members have voted

1. 1. should council remove lochside motor-mile ban

• yes
    • no

I am glad that all the cars have gone. Sometimes walking was a real 'take your life' in your hands thing, as the cars parked there ment you had to walk on the edge of the road. Even though its a 30 mph limit there, very few cars drive at that speed, most people drive at least 40+ along there, and that reminds me... When are the Police going to do something about the boy racers that treat it like a racetrack most evenings?? Pull a few of them in and it might make the whole road a safer place.

Yeah , I dare say you are right , it wis a gigantic pain in the ass havin tae try to do 40 mph AND look at the cars for sale , how much they were for sale for , check the mot etc etc whilst givin the cars a bit o a look ower , take the number etc etc.....like I say , all at 40 mph.............. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

There is nothing to suggest that any vehicle for sale was not fully taxed MOTd and insured.

Ah, yes, I forgot folk displayed the hight of rightness at all times. I would think the police would only get involved if the vehicle was on the highway, but the parking area is the responsibility of the council. This I can only deduce from the lack of response from humptygrumpty in his question to the police. If someone has highlighted, in an official complaint, and the council, knowing that the practice is against the law, lets it continue, who then would be liable for any further complaints/costs. It could be seen as a cost cutting activity in that light. A complaint to the ombudsman would force the issue with further increasing costs. We all want that though.

There is nothing to suggest that they are fully legal.

Still, the facts are, you need a license, folk have been allowed to do it, now they are not. With the license comes the additional protections, we would hope.

There is nothing to suggest that any vehicle for sale was not fully taxed MOTd and insured.

Ah, yes, I forgot folk displayed the hight of rightness at all times. I would think the police would only get involved if the vehicle was on the highway, but the parking area is the responsibility of the council

Pete, you neither give the police nor the sellers credit. The parking is next to the main road and comes under the same scrutiny from the police as any vehicle on any road. I cannot recal any time where there has been a report regarding a vehicle on Lochside not insured.

You infer that "many" of these vehicles may not be insured, as I said before, there is nothing that would make any reasonable person come to that conclusion, nor is there anything to suggest that sellers would be acting illegally. Your suggestion is offensive to both the work of the police and the good name of decent people who have placed vehicles for sale there.:?

They were already trading on the street without a license.

You may infer that I think many, but, if one person, say has 5 cars up for sale, it could be seen as trading. There are other requirements to fulfil.

The crux though is it is now stopped because of complaints, because the cars were offered for sale on the public highway. That is the end of it really. The talk of folk getting ripped of at garage forecourts is folly, these cars will not end up there but be moved to another location, either another part of town or, as it should be, from private dwellings, they are, as we know, private sales and no one sells cars there for a living of any kind.

It would be stupid to put a car there that wasnt taxed , mot'd and insured , and a quick drive by / vehicle check by police would uncover this.

Police have turned a blind eye to it because it wasnt doing any harm , and I know some members of the force have sold / bought cars there.

Seems someone has inside info,

Pete, you neither give the police nor the sellers credit.
humptygrumpty is that person. I have always had confidence in the Police. If, as the accusation stands, the police do not seem to think it is worth their time.

They were already trading on the street without a license.

You may infer that I think many, but, if one person, say has 5 cars up for sale, it could be seen as trading. There are other requirements to fulfil.

The crux though is it is now stopped because of complaints, because the cars were offered for sale on the public highway. That is the end of it really. The talk of folk getting ripped of at garage forecourts is folly, these cars will not end up there but be moved to another location, either another part of town or, as it should be, from private dwellings, they are, as we know, private sales and no one sells cars there for a living of any kind.

It would be stupid to put a car there that wasnt taxed , mot'd and insured , and a quick drive by / vehicle check by police would uncover this.

Police have turned a blind eye to it because it wasnt doing any harm , and I know some members of the force have sold / bought cars there.

Seems someone has inside info,

Pete, you neither give the police nor the sellers credit.
humptygrumpty is that person. I have always had confidence in the Police. If, as the accusation stands, the police do not seem to think it is worth their time.

The typical answer I have come to expect from you Pete. Avoid the issue, twist the issue and attempt to derail the point

I didn't infer, it was you who stated the word many! You clearly stated it.

Humpty grumpty was referring to police turning a blind eye to the selling of cars not that they were uninsured, anyone with a bit of gumption could see that.

You continue to make bland statements which are totally unfounded and twist what's said to meet your needs. I will repeat there is nothing to suggest that anyone was uninsured as you suggested and suggest you should give the previous sellers of vehicles a little more credit.

Believe it or not, most people use and sell their vehicle within the law up here and the police do a good job of catching those who don't. The issue of requiring a licence has only risen its head in the last few months.

Perhaps you could just except it was a daft thing to say, rather than try to cover your mistake :?

You say many do sell within the law, it is the small numbers that do not that become the problem.

The issue is the Council and the laws it has to enforce, or face further costs. It has been a practice that has been ignored, and now it has been highlighted and actioned.

If you are unhappy with that, get on to them.

It could be though, an income for the community halls to be able to have car sales days, a small fee could be charged. That would be beneficial to the community, it may help with the cuts to grants and maintain other community services. I guess though, this really boils down to money, not wanting to pay is the bigger incentive.

You say many do sell within the law, it is the small numbers that do not that become the problem.

The issue is the Council and the laws it has to enforce, or face further costs. It has been a practice that has been ignored, and now it has been highlighted and actioned.

If you are unhappy with that, get on to them.

Yet you continue to avoid the issue and continue to make reference to law breakers although you have now gone from the many to the few!,

Yet again you surmise to fit your argument Pete. There is no evidence that anyone selling cars on Lochside were not insured, a figment of your imagination thrown in to suit your argument. All ifs and maybes!!

Pete it's obvious your not man enough to accept your wrong, so we'll just leave it at that.

The only thing I'm unhappy with is that you thrown a statement into the discussion without anything to back it up.

This cuts both ways as folk seem to think every one is so compliant they are above reproach. For the fact is, those selling cars there have broken the laws in at least two ways. Now, can you prove that every car offered for sale there was fully insured. You cannot. The probability is there has been. That you cannot deny.

Street traders are licensed to protect the public. Thinking back now, I am sure there have been an issue raised before.

This cuts both ways as folk seem to think every one is so compliant they are above reproach. For the fact is, those selling cars there have broken the laws in at least two ways. Now, can you prove that every car offered for sale there was fully insured. You cannot. The probability is there has been. That you cannot deny.

Street traders are licensed to protect the public. Thinking back now, I am sure there have been an issue raised before.

Oh Pete and here was me thinking you might consider admitting your post regarding the many islanders selling cars on Lochside, who may not have insurance as was unjustified.

Instead you continue to try and justify your ill formed statement on the basis of probability. Do I have to remind you that you originally stated that "many" of the cars may be uninsured, a statement which has no substance other than in your imagination.

Had this been an issue, I can assure you the police would have arrested the "many". There is no reason, nor evidence to suggest many may not be insured.

You really do have difficulty backing down or accepting it was not called for.

I for one strongly object to you inferring that many people selling cars on Lochside may have been uninsured as i have been one of them. Could you either provide the evidence for your statement or admit it was an unfair statement to make. :?

The Police did regular checks on the cars at Lochside to make sure that they were all road legal, so you can be pretty sure that all of them were road legal.

Its not our job to prove your statements wrong SP, it's your job to prove to us that what you are saying is true. Until you can do that, it would be better if you refrain from accusing people for leaving uninsured cars on the road.

I have yet to find where I said many in that context. Police do not arrest but issue tickets unless being driven or fail to produce, not much call for that. From my old insurance details and documents, it does say, as a private insurance policy, I could not use it for my trade, or in the motor trade. When you see several vehicles up for sale with the same contact number, that would indicate some sort of trade. I doubt trade insurance would cover for street selling as there is no street traders licence in force, or, there would still be vehicles there.

The fact still remains, sellers were street trading without a licence. Someone has highlighted this and action has been taken.

Any other argument is of little or no importance in the bigger scheme of things. In regard to who ever proving what, I do not have to show any proof apart from what is common knowledge. I will still say that vehicles have been there without full documentation.

[

The typical answer I have come to expect from you Pete. Avoid the issue, twist the issue and attempt to derail the point

I didn't infer, it was you who stated the word many! You clearly stated it.

Humpty grumpty was referring to police turning a blind eye to the selling of cars not that they were uninsured, anyone with a bit of gumption could see that.

You continue to make bland statements which are totally unfounded and twist what's said to meet your needs. I will repeat there is nothing to suggest that anyone was uninsured as you suggested and suggest you should give the previous sellers of vehicles a little more credit.

Believe it or not, most people use and sell their vehicle within the law up here and the police do a good job of catching those who don't. The issue of requiring a licence has only risen its head in the last few months.

Perhaps you could just except it was a daft thing to say, rather than try to cover your mistake :?

Thanks ower weel for pointing that out and yes that was what I meant. Of course when dealing withe pete you cant say much without him twisting it around , Maybe HIS car isnt legal.........

I have yet to find where I said many in that context. Police do not arrest but issue tickets unless being driven or fail to produce, not much call for that. From my old insurance details and documents, it does say, as a private insurance policy, I could not use it for my trade, or in the motor trade. When you see several vehicles up for sale with the same contact number, that would indicate some sort of trade. I doubt trade insurance would cover for street selling as there is no street traders licence in force, or, there would still be vehicles there.

The fact still remains, sellers were street trading without a licence. Someone has highlighted this and action has been taken.

Any other argument is of little or no importance in the bigger scheme of things. In regard to who ever proving what, I do not have to show any proof apart from what is common knowledge. I will still say that vehicles have been there without full documentation.

It's not common knowledge, it is a statement you through in.

As I thought you lack the backbone to admit it was without evidence and have nothing to back up such a statement. Just because you decide it to be the case, doesn't make it true.

You continue to try and divert the point in a hope you don't have to "man up"

Ill tell you what Pete I will concede that you must be right. Many of the vehicles for sale on Lochside may have been uninsured, it shows what a law breaking society we are here in Shetland.

I trust this will deter you from any future visits :wink: