1.1 million pound cable

tonydog

Just burnt a paper from 13th jan 2012

page 7 is a great articile stating the sic new 1.1 million pound cable will be ready in weeks

from lerwick to maywick

capable of delivering 25mps download speeds

did this ever happen

was it money well spend

was it weeks as in more than 54 weeks

is this happening now and we are missing out

i remember being stuck behind the ditch witch for weeks

anyone know???

Its in place and operational has been for about a year, it now goes as far as Scalloway and Sellaness with these two sections being operational in the next couple of weeks all going to plan.

Sections to Vidlin and Tingwall starting on site shortly and again aslong as there are no more hold ups will be operational by summer 2013

My opinion is it is money well spent when compared to the figure flying around that BT charge the council for the service this cable could/will replace.. and if someone like Shetland Broadband was to set up some community broadband wifi hubs joe public would be getting from 25mbs to 40mbs I believe.

depends on your point of view i guess.

My understanding is the council currently pays quite a substantial sum for a network system that is soon to be obsolete. This new cable although has a high installation cost. (which has already been vastly reduced after looking into and using alternative installation methods since the ditch witch days) could save the council money over a matter of a few years.

Edit: I should add that once the cable is in, the running cost are minimal and if anything has the potential of paying for itself with companies in lerwick already making use of it and Total and Sullom both signed up to make use of it once the network is complete.

What massive amount of data is required today that was not required many years ago .

Could simple "emails" not cope with most of it ?

Will this new cable mean that offices require less staff?

I think the whole lot is being overrated & far beyond what is really required.

Do we get instant results when we "email", sometimes a letter would be far more effective & a lot cheaper than having to buy computers & rent braodband lines & all the rest of the attachments that goes with it.

But will agree it nice to have it !

If the project was to get fully implemented most of mainland Shetland along with Yell, Unst, Fetlar and Whalsay would benefit. But it would take communities and/or a isp to work together to put in the final link for joe public to benefit.

Quarff are at the moment looking into doing a community based project and applying for grants etc to erect a mast that would be connected into Shetland Telecoms cable and supply a 25-40mb wifi connection to all houses in Wester Quarff.

Edit: as it stands I understand funding to extend the network is on hold till all the reviews are done on council budgets, so wouldn't like to say if it will get extended any further at the moment.

It should also be said it is not entirely funded by the Council, Shetland telecom have received grants towards the first 3 phases of the network