Clickimim caravan/tourist campsite

sheltie53

It strikes me that many groups will be effected; including the Shetland Tourist trade.

I suggest there is a need for a camping site in Lerwick but, where is an alternative area with suitable facilities?

Seafield,

Back of the Gilbertson Games Park,---

I wouldnt suggest seafield, bit too exposed to the elements?

Community Council makes a financial contribution and that money comes from SIC. No problem if its all private but come on, get a grip, hardly an excuse for blocking a new school!!!

Calm down, MJ just stated it was one of the consequences and neither of us inferred in any way what our views were on the new school.

Go back and read the OPs opening question :roll:

with all the ground around us im sure they could build a school without having to destroy something wich is already in existance on a excelent location . move school along to the next football pitch north nice flat site for building on seems to be plenty football pitches in lerwick im sure one wont be great loss

Calm discussion is what is required to find a cure without major cost.

It is a shame to lose a very nice site with one of the best views in Britain but that is where we're at .

Assuming a new school is actually required !! that's for another thread, this thread is about the need for a camping facility in Lerwick.

Seafield is brawly exposed but facilities are there, it would not be my first choice and I understand there are plans for construction in that area.

The unused area at the back of the Gilbertson Games park could be suitable, basic facilities are there and any income from camping/tourers could help support employees already looking after the grounds but, is it big enough.

Where else?

Another effect would be the emergency landing area, there is no way a helicopter could land so close to a school.

I agree with the above poster that the school could easily be built a little further over, it might mean losing the rugby pitch, but surely there are enough pitches in and outside Lerwick, currently under utilised.

Is the loss of this facility really needed?

This deal seems to have come out the blue with little discussion, which makes me wonder what the deal is, as I can't see the Clickimin just handing over the site to the council. As its public money I would like to know how much the council will pay for the site and why this cash is not being used to provide a replacement site.

Best option.... Leave the caravan site alone and move the school over to the rugby pitch area.