Clickimim caravan/tourist campsite

sheltie53

If this school is built on this site the traffic in the Lochside area will be something else .

As has been pointed out to me ,one way to reduce this a little would be to extend the road from Westerloch around the loch to Clickamin & joining up to lochside .

If they build the school on or near the campsite ,then I doubt if this will be an option as there will probably be no room for the road .

This needs a bit more thought before the final decision is made .

Another effect would be the emergency landing area, there is no way a helicopter could land so close to a school.

Valid point! Where will this be moved to? The whole idea of putting the heli-pad there is so that it is close to the Hospital. What will happen to the 10's of £1000's invested in that. I would imagine this hasn't even been thought about or taken into consideration.

why cant the helicopter land so close to a school?

its not like they move all the campers if a helicopter lands, or even stop ppl playing on the pitches close by.

surely there isnt going to be a issue with this? if there is it was very short sighted of whoever put the landing site there, i think we all knew the school would go at the clickimin at some point

if it was a problem couldnt the helicopter land at the huge multicourt / carpark behind the AHS now?

wonder if there going to build affordable housing on the old school site? should please some of the residents if they do!

I've seen on numerous occasions the Virgin-sponsored helicopter based at Barts & The Royal London land at an exceedingly tight road junction with overhead power cables (literally inches to spare from the blades) and three/four storey buildings on the corners of the crossroads. Come to think of it, I've seen that chopper land in places where you wouldn't think it was possible from small car parks to the middle of a roundabout to the local field to a building roof with the only access via an old rickety fire escape.

Granted, the winds are somewhat stronger here and perhaps a different type of chopper but given the superb skills of those flying it, I really don't see a major problem for them not to have a specifically designated landing pad.

Edit: But who said the helipad is going? Why the {'f' it was funny in Father Ted 'eck'} can't one land near a school? Ghostie's just told me about the time Santa arrived via chopper to his local school with all the kids standing outside.

I did wonder how long it would be after the School was built before there would be high fences around the loch to stop the children falling in!

Personally, I think that it's ridiculous that they haven't built a fence around Mainland and all the islands. It's either that or keep the children at home when the tide's in :!: :!: :!:

I'm more sure than ever now that the new AHS should be built at the Black Gaet, or even Tingwall, Nesting etc, and Clickimin left for housing or the like. The Knab was as they finally saw a logistic nightmare for a building site of that size with what was on the site already and the access roads, and little better for those commuting once it was up and running. Clickimin is maybe marginally better with wider roads and not having the need to compete with toon traffic for such a distance, but its still far from the easy option.

With the council more hell bent than ever to have one "Super Secondary" to serve the whole of the Mainland at least, if not the whole of Shetland, a reasonably central location with easy access from/to main roads should be paramount. A site that far out of town would be far cheaper to buy, and should be far cheaper to develop, given that they could for once pick the best site for the kind of building wanted, and not be constrained in design by trying to squeeze everything that is wanted on to a wholly inadequate site. This obsession of having to have everything as near the town centre as possible, even if it end up costing twice the price and being of half the use as that's the best the available plot can handle, has to go. Mareel and the fiasco it has been needs to be the last of that kind folk is expected to put up with. Going greenfield leaves plenty of options for future extensions if needed, the most short-sighted aspect of going to Clickimin is what in hell happens if the need to extend turns up. Demolish Bruce Crescent, North Lochside or the Clickimin, or infill a chunk of the loch to make room??

An out of town school is the kindest thing on town traffic all round too, and lets face it, if all other kids are going to be expected to make a bus trip twice a day of 25 or 30 miles each way or whatever, why shouldn't town kids be expected to make one a fraction of that too.

I'm more sure than ever now that the new AHS should be built at the Black Gaet, or even Tingwall, Nesting etc, and Clickimin left for housing or the like. The Knab was as they finally saw a logistic nightmare for a building site of that size with what was on the site already and the access roads, and little better for those commuting once it was up and running. Clickimin is maybe marginally better with wider roads and not having the need to compete with toon traffic for such a distance, but its still far from the easy option.

With the council more hell bent than ever to have one "Super Secondary" to serve the whole of the Mainland at least, if not the whole of Shetland, a reasonably central location with easy access from/to main roads should be paramount. A site that far out of town would be far cheaper to buy, and should be far cheaper to develop, given that they could for once pick the best site for the kind of building wanted, and not be constrained in design by trying to squeeze everything that is wanted on to a wholly inadequate site. This obsession of having to have everything as near the town centre as possible, even if it end up costing twice the price and being of half the use as that's the best the available plot can handle, has to go. Mareel and the fiasco it has been needs to be the last of that kind folk is expected to put up with. Going greenfield leaves plenty of options for future extensions if needed, the most short-sighted aspect of going to Clickimin is what in hell happens if the need to extend turns up. Demolish Bruce Crescent, North Lochside or the Clickimin, or infill a chunk of the loch to make room??

An out of town school is the kindest thing on town traffic all round too, and lets face it, if all other kids are going to be expected to make a bus trip twice a day of 25 or 30 miles each way or whatever, why shouldn't town kids be expected to make one a fraction of that too.

Good thinking, Ghostie. I'd agree with that.

Would it not be cheaper to build on the ground where the original plan was to have it across from the coastguard station, to build at clickimin would mean a lot of digging and rock breaking going on and lots of surface water pipes to be laid to divert all the water that runs off from the hill, also any tourists taking photos over at the broch would have a massive school in the background.

One of the attractions of putting the AHS at Clickimin is the reduction in transport costs as most of Lerwick will be within walking distance,

It would be very interesting to see the costings for that allegation, and have them verified. If for example the school was built at Girlsta or Nesting instead, buses coming from everywhere north of that would be travelling around 10 miles less in both directions, so you'd expect those contracts to go down in cost somewhat. I appreciate that while it wouldn't anywhere near cover the cost of buses coming out from the toon to there on account of needing additional vehicles, drivers etc, it would be a percentage of it. Then add to that the savings which should be attainable from land aqusition costs and from building an optimum building on an optimum site, the actual "cost" of bussing out of town must be diminishing considerably.

They should build the school at Clickamin on the original proposed site, leaving the caravan/camp site where it is.

This caravan /camp site is well used in the summertime & I think most users would pay a little extra to support this fine facility which is well located.

When the houses were built at Norstane,Soldian Court,Voderview & Stanyhill was the rock removal such a problem!

What about the houses recently built at Arheim, they soon shifted the rock there.

I do hope that the planners & the architects do not place this new building in the wrong place to save a few bob & regret it for ever after.