Clickimim caravan/tourist campsite

sheltie53

One of the attractions of putting the AHS at Clickimin is the reduction in transport costs as most of Lerwick will be within walking distance,

It would be very interesting to see the costings for that allegation, and have them verified. If for example the school was built at Girlsta or Nesting instead, buses coming from everywhere north of that would be travelling around 10 miles less in both directions, so you'd expect those contracts to go down in cost somewhat. I appreciate that while it wouldn't anywhere near cover the cost of buses coming out from the toon to there on account of needing additional vehicles, drivers etc, it would be a percentage of it. Then add to that the savings which should be attainable from land aqusition costs and from building an optimum building on an optimum site, the actual "cost" of bussing out of town must be diminishing considerably.

Saving of £25,000 in the transport budget is mentioned here.

http://www.shetlandtimes.co.uk/2010/08/30/new-high-school-is-another-seven-years-away-says-council

The trouble with siting a new high school out of town is the way councils budgets work. Saving on capital costs does not affect running costs.

With regard to reduced transport costs if the AHS moves to Clickimin. If I remember right, there used to be (and I assume still is) one bus to the present AHS from Upper Sound all year around, and a second which collects further in the South Road in the winter. It will be similar from the north road area. I believe all of that would go when the AHS gets to Clickimin. I don’t know what that would be in cost terms, but it would be significant. Gostrider’s suggestion of bussing all Lerwick pupils out would need a lot of busses, and as he says, the savings on the north busses coming in wouldn’t be all that much. The big difference between extra busses and buying a bit of land is that the cost of busses will keep on year after year, and keep in increasing. So while keeping down initial costs is important, it is much much more important to keep down running costs, and busses over the next 50 years or so will be a major running cost. I agree it is important to get the optimum site, I think the optimum site is in Lerwick and at Clickimin.

I agree it is a pity to lose the campsite, but I think it is even more important to get the location and layout of the school right. As Urabug says, digging out a hillside is quite possible; but it is expensive. And who wants a school in the back of a quarry? My guess is that to dig out an area equivalent to the campsite out of the Staney Hill would be much more expensive than buying the campsite, so I think the Council are doing the right thing to make use of the campsite as part of the school site. After that, it is up to the Recreational Trust if they pocket the money or build a new campsite. It wouldn’t be practical for them to run a campsite anywhere other than next door to Clickimin, so I can see why they have decided to call it a day. And a few pounds coming in will help them balance their books for a few years more.

So while it is unfortunate to lose the campsite, I think getting a proper layout for the school site at a reasonable cost is more important.

• 1 year later...

Please fee free to add your names to the current petition. The debate over whether the Knab or Clickimin site had all but been decided, what the petition is about is the exact siting of the new AHS at Clickimin, surely a bit further over is achievable, everyone is happy (well almost everyone)!

http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/shetland-islands-council-stop-the-demolition-of-clickimin-campsite-and-reconsider-the-siting-of-the-new-ahs

Although I don't live in the town but work there, I don't see the campsite used much or not at all. I do remember when I was in school and a couple of councillors would invite my whole year class to come and hear the news and plans of the new high school.

I remembered when they planned to demolish the current high school couple of years back but then the council turned their backs and so they stopped the demolition. Right now, the school is falling to bits and the classes are getting bigger because of the closures of a few schools.

So in retrospect, I feel that the council made a right decision.

Please fee free to add your names to the current petition. The debate over whether the Knab or Clickimin site had all but been decided, what the petition is about is the exact siting of the new AHS at Clickimin, surely a bit further over is achievable, everyone is happy (well almost everyone)!

http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/shetland-islands-council-stop-the-demolition-of-clickimin-campsite-and-reconsider-the-siting-of-the-new-ahs

How much would changing the plans and additional work cost?