Shetland's airports (and parking)

breeksy

I emailed HIAL asking for their survey and received this response....

Good Afternoon Ms Taylor

Please find the survey attached as requested.

Please send the completed survey back to us by Mon 14th May 0900, to either:

info@hial.co.uk  or by post to:

Shelly Donaldson CPS

HIAL Head Office

Inverness Airport

Inverness

IV2 7JB

Many Thanks and Regards

Shelly Donaldson

PA Support

Highlands and Islands Airports Limited / Head Office, Inverness Airport, Inverness IV2 7JB 
t: +44 (0)1667 464212  Ext 212/ f: +44 (0)1667 464210 / w. 
www.hial.co.uk

I have searched HIAL's website and can find no sign of the survey but filled in the attachment and returned it to them tout de suite via email.

As I cannot find this survey anywhere on t'net, I have put it up on my blog site here - http://myshetland.co.uk/hial/

There are two links on the page too - one to a pdf version and one to the original MS Word doc version.  I have also put it as a jpeg which you can drag and drop.

I urge you to complete this survey (which is appallingly written.  I realise it wont make a rat's ass of a difference but at least I know I tried.

If anyone has any problems completing this survey, ie cannot obtain a copy, please email me - frances@fstaylor.co.uk - and I will happily send you the Word document.

Just a note on getting to the airport... on the south mainland. A bus to a Town with railway conections 40 + mins. Waiting for train 10 to 30 mins, depending on how brave you are regarding traffic conditions. Train to London 2.15 to 3 hours. Tube to Major airport 1 hour... if you are lucky... usually more and often cancelled a few stops from the terminal. Taxi if you have been chucked off short of your destination.... add in the worry of making your flight alowing for security checks.... Or you drive, and hope for no hold ups, and pay a small fortune in parking charges, and congestion charges... Makes charges at Sumburgh seem small in comparison. No one likes paying parking fees, but compared to the rest of the UK, you are getting off lightly.

Agreed Pleepsie - and all made the harderl if you have young bairns and piles of luggage in tow.

Fact is that for a lot of folk living sooth who don’t live on a direct bus or train route, getting public transport is as difficult or impractical an option as it is for folk livin here noo.

There’s a lot of truth in what your saying, but the main difference are that those south generally have more choice of airlines and prices compared with what we have to pay.

Last time I was away the Sumburgh leg of my flight was considerably dearer than the Leeds one.

The Sumb flight, smaller plane was virtually full, the Leeds flight, larger plane was virtually empty.

Mile against mile we are paying through the nose and of course the sumb flight left late meaning a missed connection and an additional £45 transfer fee which made me further out of pocket and 5 hours late.

It’s all very well comparing us with what south people have to put up with, but only if we were paying the same mile for mile charge.

You do realise that once this charge is introduced, it will be increased year on year to balance the books.

I will willingly pay the parking charge, when my flights are comparable in price to those living South of us. Until then I just see this as Humza Yousaf’s way of hitting us with another tax.

You do realise that once this charge is introduced, it will be increased year on year to balance the books.

No doubt just like the English airports. Go to Stansted and pay £3.00 for a ten minute drop-off.

Until then I just see this as Humza Yousaf’s way of hitting us with another tax.

I wonder who started this sort of thing first, Westminster or Holyrood?

Drop-off and pick-up charges at UK airports continue to soar.

Edited by George.

The big airports are private businesses who's business is to make money for their shareholders.

HIAL's is wholly  owned by the Scottish Government and tasked to ensure that Scottish Islands unprofitable airports continue to

operate, so they are not really comparable. 

Obviously the airports have to be paid for and the parking will probably raise half a million a year.  I would be keen for and outside body to scrutinise the airport operators accounts to ensure that it is fairly spent. 

The books have to balance or things wont work. Flights are already cheaper than going by sea. Maybe they are too cheap!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

SNP is consulting on workplace parking charges. Scottish Ministers could impose workplace parking charges of nearly £400 per year to discourage commuting by car.

If this comes to fruition it will affect a lot of folk who have no choice but to drive to their work.

SNP must have a parking virus--the cure get rid of them.

Whoops! :D

No often the Toon Haa toadies manage to eff it up in the right direction.....

SIBC Headlines today.....

There has been a comment from Tavish Scott after the Shetland Islands Council refused Highlands and Islands Airports Limited permission to erect barriers on public roads into Sumburgh Airport for its airport car parking charge proposals.

Figures obtained by Mr Scott under a freedom of information request show that Sumburgh does not need subsidy, in stark contrast to other HIAL airports, meaning that any money collected in car parking charges at Sumburgh would in effect be subsidising the other airports.

SNP must have a parking virus--the cure get rid of them.

Check the price of parking in an English airport, look forward to really getting burnt.

Yes, George I have experienced some of the extortionate parking rates in England and also in Wales (also in Scotland) not only at airports but car parks,hospitals ,streets ect..Its bad enough having to pay in these areas but if one has to pay to park at work now that is taking the piss although in many parts of the UK some already have to do just that   .Lets see what happens but I bet this proposal will not get through as it will cost the party votes .

^ Being charged for parking at their work was well established for NHS staff in some PFI hospitals in Scotland as long as 20 years ago. A bone of contention especially with A&E or theatre staff, as if they were held back by an op taking longer than planned, or tending to an A&E patient where they couldn't just stop and hand over to someone else to finish what they'd started. Not only did they have to pay for their normal working hours parking, they had to choose between just paying that amount, and risking a hefty 'fine' whenever they were held back, or pay for an extra half hour or hour as well every day to ensure they didn't get fined in case they were delayed knocking off for the day.