Shetland's airports (and parking)

breeksy

Its all the price we pay for choosing to live in a small rural isolated island. We can't all have airports or bus stops on our doorsteps. Not so long ago flying was a luxury. We do have an alternative, move to the British mainland.

Its all the price we pay for choosing to live in a small rural isolated island. We can't all have airports or bus stops on our doorsteps. Not so long ago flying was a luxury. We do have an alternative, move to the British mainland.

The British mainland? For a fortnights parking in Heathrow, it'll will cost you about £100. Edinburgh is about £50 and Sumburgh will work out at £42 a fortnight to park up your vehicle, when they start charging. Thankfully, I don't live in Britain. I live on a wee island that has been part of Scotland since 1469 and is better value. It is still a price though.

Edited by George.

Nobody wants to have to pay more than they must for anything, but unless Loganair can be gotten onside as well to complain folk choosing not to fly rather than pay the charges, will impact negatively on their business, protests by the general public are always going to be ignored.

It’s about time that Shetland joined the real world.

Paying £3 per day is nothing compared to other airports.

If you can afford to fly then no reason why cannot pay the parking charge.

You don’t even have to pay for drop off unlike other airports, Shetland gets an hour free.

But if people want to they can always get the ferry and get the bus to Aberdeen airport if they find it is such a problem.

Well Wotsit, we can't wait for all these real world things you're promising:

- In that "real world" most UK Airports get a regular railway, tram or bus services and they normally run every 30 minutes and seven days a week.

- In that "real world" they can charge for parking because the public transport service is so good. Though most of the "real world" airports have private parking businesses that offer cheap long term parking away from the airport and then offer a free shuttle service.

-In that "real world" you are talking about, "real" airports service millions of passengers a year; over 70 million a year from Heathrow down to 1.3 million a year from Manchester.

- In that "real world" you can get a direct budget flight to most European cities for well under £100.00. Can't wait for that one :-)

Anyway, I can't wait for you to help us join this "real world" so we can finally enjoy a bus or a tram service that will run every 30 minutes, seven days a week to all areas of Shetland!!!!

What we need is someone capable, to go through HIAL's books and find out the real cost of running the airport- although they may be deliberately muddy. I remember when the good old days when the book showed a million pound profit, which all went to subsidise the other  "highlander" airports including the HIAL headquarters/ Inverness airport.  Of course if it is found that Sumburgh runs at a loss then the shortfall will be made up  somewhere else, be it car parking fees, airport taxes or income tax.

I wid suggest da cooncil tak it ower, bit that wid be the end.

The money spent on runway extensions, car parks and building improvements has probably been entirely necessary. If it wasn't for the money put in by The British Tax Payer, then the airport would probably not be viable in the current situation. The safety and security standards are forever increasing and that means that continual upgrades are ongoing. Only at a private airfields not used by the General Public and are Self-insured can you get away with running on a shoe-string, these days.

Once upon a time they were  able to run at a profit, but it seems not so these days, so someone has to fork out money if a service is to continue. If you don't  to pay for subsidised  flying, you can go on the subsidised boats. although if you pay your taxes, you pay for some of it anyway.

OK, I agree. I'll amend my last 2 sentences:

While public subsidies might be necessary for some improvements, the current decision is a step too far and exploits the traveler/ taxpayer/ lifeline service user. Not on!

Edited by Space

Some people occasionaly need to fly, regardless.

Joining the real world would be beneficial for many.

Edited by George.

You don’t even have to pay for drop off unlike other airports, Shetland gets an hour free.

But if people want to they can always get the ferry and get the bus to Aberdeen airport if they find it is such a problem.

The real world? This will be the same "real world" that results in Shetlanders having a 20-60% higher cost of living than the UK average?

Is it not right that we fight against anything that is going to make that figure worse? 

"Compared to other airports" - which probably without exception have better public transport links than Sumburgh does. 

Remember this is a lifeline link for DOMESTIC travel within (ostensibly) our own country. We already face exorbitant costs to get anywhere, the last thing we need is Government agencies making it worse. 

I honestly don't believe that we have a 20% to 60% higher cost of living than the UK average.  If you're referring to that study the SIC fondly refers to, the way the statistics were arrived at are questionable.  For example, food doesn't cost any more from the major supermarkets.  As for lekky and gas, my combined bills for London were similar to here.  Car insurance is cheaper too but petrol, as we well know, isn't.

Many local airports throughout the UK have worse bus services than we have.  If I go down to visit my mum, despite the interwebz advising me "From £2" that's if you drive from her town to the local airport; the bus service is only three times a day and the average fare is £6.  A taxi would set you back around the £45 to £60 mark.  I've never managed to visit her and have flight arrival/departure times work with public transport and have ended up having to hire a car.

To be frank, I'm more concerned with the proposed remote air control towers with digital imaging than I am about the car parking charges plus I'm not really seeing anyone putting forward any alternatives as to what HIAL should be doing instead regarding the current car parking problem.