Lerwick Legion - What does it need?

tlady

http://www.shetlandtimes.co.uk/2013/02/15/legion-committee-agrees-plan-to-attract-younger-clientele

It's a really good venue for bands & functions.

It has an excellent games room for darts, snooker and pool,

and the lounge bar has a good atmosphere.

What needs to be done to make it pay?

Personally I feel it's been run BY the committee FOR the committee for far too long now ..

I think they need to employ an experienced manager that is responsible for hiring and firing, and is on a bonus based on the % of the profit they make.

Some food would be good , even if it was just evenings and weekends , sure they could make a lot from some decent pub grub , id also like to see the place brightened up a bit , but obviously there aint any money to invest so they have to try and up the people coming threw the door without spending much , free wifi , good music playing , and set up areas so that customers have a bit of privacy when having a drink or eating.

The problem with British Legions is that they have restricted membership. Their heyday was when there were thousands of ex WW2 service people who wre economically active. That membership base has all but died off and there aren't enough ex service people nowadays who are interested in the Legion,
.. That no true theres no problem getting a membership for the legion these days they realised years back so they have family memberships and theres no limit on the amount off associate members they have these days.. :)

Went there once with a friend of mine. Trying to explain (with little success) to the doorman that we were ex-forces and that we would like to come in and perhaps join we were interrupted by a lounge bar warrior who told us in no uncertain terms to F**k Off. We did and have never been back since. The spirit of the RBL?

I would suggest a radical shake up...drop a snooker table, put the remaining one and the pool tables, darts, etc upstairs and have a pub bistro eatery downstairs, tables, cosy booths, proper pub menu you get south etc etc...You may have to make sacrifices like loose the function room for Up Helly Aa (for what it's worth the dance floor upstairs is to small to cope with all that imho). And with Mareel open there a ready made replacement. Ultimately it's frankly diversify or die....

What the Royal British legion needs to boost numbers is another War with mass call up of civillians into the armed services.

Then when the war is over the surviving veterans can join and enjoy their beer at a price cheaper than the privately run public houses.

If that doesn't happen it might as well drop the whole british legion bit and run as a profit making pub / dance hall.

And it would need to be renamed the scottish legion if the vote goes alex salmonds way.....

The problem with British Legions is that they have restricted membership. Their heyday was when there were thousands of ex WW2 service people who wre economically active. That membership base has all but died off and there aren't enough ex service people nowadays who are interested in the Legion,
.. That no true theres no problem getting a membership for the legion these days they realised years back so they have family memberships and theres no limit on the amount off associate members they have these days.. :)

Well we are STILL waiting on our memberships. Applied years ago. When we ask we say they are just doing them

Went with my uncle many years ago as a guest, He was ex REME had a very nice evening,, so when we left I asked about membership, as I had been a member of of the civil defence and was a member of the ROC, was told on no uncertain terms where patrtimers were to go, Uncle was never back again. Not so long ago after a good few years in the lighthouse service thought mabye try again, (F### off) from a gorilla at the door said it all no bloody change. Hope its knocked down and made into flats or something of some use.

If that doesn't happen it might as well drop the whole british legion bit and run as a profit making pub / dance hall.

I enquired about that a few years ago but was told that if the local RBLS stopped using the property it reverted to the Head Office, who would do with the building as they thought appropriate.

My few experiences with the Legion, was a feeling that you were an outsider and felt unwelcome, it smacked of cliquishness and dare you try to play the bandit.!

It is a good building with fine bars and social spaces, but certain individuals gave you the feeling that they ran the place like it was there personal private club. In addition many of the regulars didn't go out of their way to welcome newcomers.

Of course there were some exceptions who made you feel welcome, but the overall experience didn't encourage me to want to return.

Hopefully the new committee will improve the atmosphere and encourage staff, committee and regulars to welcome new customers otherwise they will lose a good building.