loss of RURAL doctors.

paulb

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want to influence how the local NHS works the Public Partnership Forum is looking for volunteers.

http://www.shb.scot.nhs.uk/board/ppf/index.asp

he PPF is a network of local individuals and organisations that are:

Interested in health and social care services and want to be kept informed and involved in how they are designed and delivered in Shetland

The role of the PPF is to:

Inform local people about the range of health and social care services that are provided locally

Engage local service users, carers and the public in discussion about how to improve CHCP services

Support wider public involvement in planning and decision making about public services

Broaden and deepen public involvement through developing new networks

Hi,

Do you honestly think that if I got on to the above group, with what I said so far on here that they would listen at all ?

By volunteering I would surely be subsidising the NHS. Others seem to think that you should not go the extra mile unless you get paid for it.

Good ideas tend to get stolen by managements and ideas they personally don't like get conviniently ignored even if sometimes for the greater good, thats human nature.

Hi,

Would like to start by saying enkelt skapninger thank you for bringing a bit of sanity to this forum. It makes a change to have someone who knows what they are talking about refuting some of the ridiculous statements made on here.

Silvercloud you have loads to say about the problems at NHS Shetland but every time anyone suggests a way in which you could influence provision of services you have a convenient reason why it would not work. As my old Dad would say "pi** or get off the pot"

I am a patient who has to regularly use the services of NHS Shetland as well as visits to Aberdeen and Glasgow and I get really annoyed at the people who are constantly having a go at the services here. The level of service here is much much better than that received in Aberdeen or Glasgow. However, there are some people who have unrealistic expectations and when they cannot get what the want or expect, sometimes for sound medical reasons, they take to forums like this to complain in very generic terms about how they have been wronged.

I know quite a few people who work for NHS Shetland both in clinical and admin roles and I can honestly say each and every one of them will go above and beyond to provide a good service including working extra hours to ensure the job gets done.

Rant over!!

Good ideas tend to get stolen by managements and ideas they personally don't like get conviniently ignored even if sometimes for the greater good, thats human nature.

Whether or not it is a case that the Government dictates that large public organisations like the NHS should ask our opinions, I think it's a bit rich to say "Good ideas tend to get stolen by managements ..." - do you want NHS Shetland to adopt good ideas or not?

Yes, I complain when things go wrong; yes, there are some good and bad points within the NHS but when something is good I'll sure as hell say so and praise them. I'm fortunate (or unfortunate, dependent upon your stance) to have experienced the NHS both down south, in Aberdeen and also here in Shetland.

Yes, there's always room for improvement but you can't say they don't listen if you're not prepared to give things a chance. There's good and bad in all organisations and NHS Shetland is no different; for example, there's a couple of members of staff in Patient Travel and another who is, quite frankly, a right pain. So when do I telephone? When I know it is the 'pain's' day off and when I get the mega helpful members of staff!

You can always approach those on the NHS Board; after all, does it matter who comes up with a good idea if it is adopted for the benefit of all?

Hi I have personally suggested ideas to the hospital and also donated gifts for a particular cause. The gifts were used elsewhere .As for the suggestions and ideas which were contructive but they fell on deaf ears and when asking the board for any explanation to questions I have asked the answers were worthy of some politicians and written answers were so far removed from the spoken ones they gave I wondered whether I was actually talking to the same person all they tried do is cover their backs when things have gone wrong.

Yes we have some excellent staff and also some not so good. I have also told staff when I received good care and thanked them.Those staff know who they are.

Hi,

Would like to start by saying enkelt skapninger thank you for bringing a bit of sanity to this forum. It makes a change to have someone who knows what they are talking about refuting some of the ridiculous statements made on here.

Silvercloud you have loads to say about the problems at NHS Shetland but every time anyone suggests a way in which you could influence provision of services you have a convenient reason why it would not work. As my old Dad would say "pi** or get off the pot"

I am a patient who has to regularly use the services of NHS Shetland as well as visits to Aberdeen and Glasgow and I get really annoyed at the people who are constantly having a go at the services here. The level of service here is much much better than that received in Aberdeen or Glasgow. However, there are some people who have unrealistic expectations and when they cannot get what the want or expect, sometimes for sound medical reasons, they take to forums like this to complain in very generic terms about how they have been wronged.

I know quite a few people who work for NHS Shetland both in clinical and admin roles and I can honestly say each and every one of them will go above and beyond to provide a good service including working extra hours to ensure the job gets done.

Rant over!!

:lik:

The earlier comments comparing our hospital with London hospitals are a joke, they may have better equipment and more skilled experts at the top of the medical tree, but on the wards they are in most cases a disaster. One friend of mine was in Shetland on holiday, they had to continue dialysis treatment in Lerwick and were full of praise for the whole experience,they had never had the whole thing go so smoothly in London, and in Lerwick was the first time the nurse managed to get the needle in on the first attempt, and they were getting treated 3 times a week in London. Another friend was in one of the posher London hospitals, and nobody could avoid infection, she ended up worse after being in there. Be grateful for our Gilbert Bain staff, they do a great job,we dont want London standards.

On this travel thing, to fly from ABZ, the cheapest I could find was £146, the boat, £192, remember, the employer would have a duty of care as this trip is a work thing, unless there were two in the party, it would not be right to share a cabin with anyone, especially as you seem to want them to start work as soon as they step ashore, you also may have sensitive documents on you, I know when I went to other parts of the country to work for the the same employer, I used to take other work related items.

Where has this attitude come from that folk who get a job in any public funded organisation are bitches to the populous. Kin backward thinking attitudes there.

The cost of flights were not significant - everybody has an ADS card, and quite frankly I'm buggered if I'm going to spend days away from my family for the NHS unecessarily, for the sake of 20 quid. The managers who have to go to lots and lots of meetings on the mainland - why should they miss out on their family life day in day out? What about the 1 hour meetings the government insists they attend face to face? Should they get the boat to those meetings?

I think I agree with the above, anyone who was forced into such a job, to provide for his family should be rewarded. It is not right that they should be separated from their family

Our soldiers have to do the same, conscription and press gangs, are an abomination.

Damn! That is a problem with age I'd forgotten that press gangs finished in 1840 and national service in 1960.

You must have been very important to be forced to stay on all that time!

The pension must also be good.

Regards.