homophobia

greenman

• 1 month later...

Just by way of balance. I am a Christian and have been my entire adult life.

I don't believe homosexuality is a sin within a monogamous relationship. Outwith a monogamous relationship it is no more a sin than lying, deceit, lack of grace, and lack of compassion. There is no points card with some sins carrying greater weight. We all need Gods grace and love; me, Baptists, Catholics, even Fundamentalists!

I don't believe that the world was created in six literal days. Genesis 1 to 3 is a poem not a scientific explanation. I do accept many of the scientific explanations as to the origins of life.

I don't believe that God is planning to fry everyone who has not said the correct prayer or believed the right thing.

I don't believe that the bible says many of things that fundamentalist Christians claim it says. The bible has to be read with an understanding of the culture it was written in. Not as a westerner would read it.

I believe many Christians feel the same way but certain Christians tend to be a bit louder!

Love Wins!

Just by way of balance. I am a Christian and have been my entire adult life.

I don't believe homosexuality is a sin within a monogamous relationship. Outwith a monogamous relationship it is no more a sin than lying, deceit, lack of grace, and lack of compassion. There is no points card with some sins carrying greater weight. We all need Gods grace and love; me, Baptists, Catholics, even Fundamentalists!

I don't believe that the world was created in six literal days. Genesis 1 to 3 is a poem not a scientific explanation. I do accept many of the scientific explanations as to the origins of life.

I don't believe that God is planning to fry everyone who has not said the correct prayer or believed the right thing.

I don't believe that the bible says many of things that fundamentalist Christians claim it says. The bible has to be read with an understanding of the culture it was written in. Not as a westerner would read it.

I believe many Christians feel the same way but certain Christians tend to be a bit louder!

Love Wins!

Pleased to see that your take on religion allows you a little 'wiggle room' (no pun intended) but, why should homosexuality, or anything else for that matter, be deemed to be a 'sin' in the first place?

People will do whatever people want to do and the concepts of 'sin', 'grace' and 'compassion' vary from one individual to the next.

eg;

Would you consider that some perverted 'kiddy fiddler' is committing a 'sin' and, if so, would you have the 'grace' to treat him with 'compassion' or, like most of the rest of us, would you shun him completely?

Would said 'kiddy fiddler' consider him/herself to be committing a 'sin' and, more to the point, would they also feel that they were in need of some compassion?

Not black and white is it...

Picking up on what Colin said:

The word and concept of 'sin' is a bit of an odd one and (going off at a tangent but related) so is concept of 'kiddy fiddler'.

ie: What is 'sinful' to one social grouping may be acceptable to another. The same as describing someone who has sex with a person under 16 as a 'sex offender', because the legal age for consentual (sp?) sex varies across the nations (14 in some countries, 17 in others, I believe), so you cannot realistically describe people who are behaving lawfully and reasonably in one state as 'sinners' just because of a legislative or religious difference of opinion in another.

I'm not trying to promote under age sex, merely pointing out that our notions of right and wrong are infinitely variable across the planet and social spectrum - and that issuing some holy notice/fatwah/edict upon a subject does not necessarily make something right or wrong. 'Christian' doctrine states homosexuality is a 'sin'...yet the UK legal system says it isn't.

I know which group I'd pay more attention to :wink:

Picking up on what Colin said:

The word and concept of 'sin' is a bit of an odd one and (going off at a tangent but related) so is concept of 'kiddy fiddler'.

Not so (for me anyway) as I consider the concept of 'sin' to be an entirely religious one and not at all related to 'crime' and, as I'm not religious, 'sin' doesn't really exist.

As for 'kiddy fiddler' (I was having a problem spelling pedophile). Rape and exploitation(?) are crimes but, should consensual sex be a crime at all particularly if both parties are under 'the age of consent' and both are willing participants?

As for 'kiddy fiddler' (I was having a problem spelling pedophile). Rape and exploitation(?) are crimes but, should consensual sex be a crime at all particularly if both parties are under 'the age of consent' and both are willing participants?

If both parties are under the age of consent, then by definition, it cannot be consensual sex.

If both parties are under the age of consent, then by definition, it cannot be consensual sex.

If they are both 'up for it' and are both willing participants then, how can it be anything other than 'consensual'?

I think that the 'consent' side of the argument is more of a 'social' imposition and ignores the rights(?) of the individuals concerned even if they are both below the 'age of consent'.

• 2 weeks later...
We live in a country where we are able to express our views freely.

It is called free speech,so why should we condemn someone who has a different opinion to what we want to hear.

The gay community is definately a dictatorship .they want everything there way or no way !

Man & Women is normal, but same sex couples are not .

Should GAYS be treated diffferently, OF COURSE NOT ,but there is a time & place for everything. Somethings are correct & others not .

You sad sad person. There are over 400 different species of mammal that exhibit homosexual behaviour. Also, male black swans have been known to pair for life. They even steal eggs from other nests to raise young (the young of the mail pairs are statistically more likely to survive to adulthood by the way). So to say homosexuality is not normal is just showing that you have no clue at all about nature.

should consensual sex be a crime at all particularly if both parties are under 'the age of consent' and both are willing participants?

The age of consent has changed over times, to have male on male sex was punished with prison.

The gay community have come from the shadows as far as legislation and attitudes, though, there are still factions who would not agree that these relationships should be let to happen, this ranges from mutterings in the bar or at the TeeVee to councillors resigning because his party supported gay marriage or violence and murder.

If a society has deemed that 16 is an age where these acts can be legal, then, even though there may be mutual consent, it could be fine if they were say both 15, however, if one was 11 and one 15 how would it be then. To remove it as a crime, you may need to lower the age limits.

should consensual sex be a crime at all particularly if both parties are under 'the age of consent' and both are willing participants?

The age of consent has changed over times, to have male on male sex was punished with prison.

The gay community have come from the shadows as far as legislation and attitudes, though, there are still factions who would not agree that these relationships should be let to happen, this ranges from mutterings in the bar or at the TeeVee to councillors resigning because his party supported gay marriage or violence and murder.

If a society has deemed that 16 is an age where these acts can be legal, then, even though there may be mutual consent, it could be fine if they were say both 15, however, if one was 11 and one 15 how would it be then. To remove it as a crime, you may need to lower the age limits.

But isn't it a fact that some children, whilst 'sexually mature', might not fully understand the concept of consent? So on the one hand we look upon it that children aren't mature enough to understand consent but yet they are deemed old enough to be charged with criminal offences? I think the age is 10 in England and I admit I don't know for Scotland.