LOCH SIDE MOTORS (Community) un-Limited

NewBigFoot

Many businesses are closing every day up and down the country, as austerity grips the nation. The banking fiasco has still not finished, the UK credit rating has dropped and poor Ozzy (aka Geordie Osborne) does not know quite what to do next. To make matters worse the pound has dropped in value triggering pump prices to rise. Locally, however, businesses seem to be doing quite well and the job’s market seems to be fairly reasonable. Regrettably, a renowned local car dealership has closed after many years of trading. The dealership has been a tremendous asset offering a real ‘no frills’ experience when purchasing or selling your vehicle. Furthermore, no particular manufacturer was favoured and they were also prepared to dabble in other types of transport, including motorbikes, pick-ups, etc. Additionally, they even went further and ventured from time to time into caravans, trailers & jet skis (generally seasonal). In fact you could say that this business model just could not fail and may actually have been copied in part by others, offering the ‘no frills’ selling experience, some of these businesses are now global. The failure of LOCHSIDE MOTORS is a real reminder that even the most successful businesses can fail in an exceedingly dramatic way, i.e. trading on a Friday - closed by Monday. Finally, from what I can understand it appears that this forecourt will remain empty with no hope of a similar enterprise at this location for now. The area appears so barren now when you drive past without the colourful mix of the motor industry’s greater and lesser achievements on display.

If anyone has thoughts regarding the sad loss of this valuable community asset and how it could re-emerge under a new guise I feel sure many would like to hear. Perhaps TESCO could be community spirited and set aside a dozen or so spaces in their car park.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just cannot understand the reasoning behind this SIC decision at all. The Clickimin car park is huge and and is more than enough to cover for parking at all events except, perhaps, the classic car show when some of the exhibits are outside.

The cars and other vehicles up for sale were doing nobody any harm whatsoever. I would be more than happy to sign any petition to get the council to change their mind over this.

The reason they gave was health and safety, locals had complained of cars slowing down to look at what was available and not concentrating on driving.

So are you telling me that car drivers don’t look at cars for sale when passing other town garages e.g. Station Garage, Jim’s Garage, Leask Motors, Sutherland’s Garage and M&R Gair :?

It was stated somewhere about the law stating that you cant advertise anything within 15M of a main road , Kinda rules out most o the garages in shetland. And Yes I would be happy to support a petition.

Health and safety...stoness , if people were slowing down to look at cars then at least they were travelling slower than they would have been had there not been cars for sale.

Complaints ? Probably , and equally probably from some lazy fat gits who wouldnt bother their arses to park in the designated clickimin car park to watch a daft fitba game , but were happy to sit along lochside watching their offspring play...whilst sitting eating chips etc.

hopefully there will be some complaints when the stretch fills up with said lazy gits when the fitba season starts.

Na its more likely just some overpaid underworked twit in the sic with a job justification attitude thats at the bottom o this.

personally you could park a car there , put no signs on it and advertise it on shetlink as "being for sale in the usual place" , That would keep some little nitwit in a full time job chasing that down......... :rofl:

What is your ideal solution?

Option 1 (now) - It's illegal, the council put up notices, the police act, or not

Option 2 (before) - It's illegal, the council does not put up notices, the police act, or not.

Option 3 - Some council action to specifically make it legal to sell cars there? Not sure if a simple by-law can overrule national law, but maybe there is some way? Likely some costs with that. Should the council spend money on it? Should they try and recover that cost from the sellers?

I may be wrong on this but I thought that you had to have your car taxed to leave it there. Apparently you can't have a valid tax disc on your car to drive it there but leave it there after the disc expires.

If this is the case, then it is deemed to be part of the public highway in some for. If so, then surely you have every right to leave it there.

If it is a health & safety issue, though, then perhaps sellers should go and park at the car park opposite the old library; near the town hall instead. That will upset all the SIC fat gits who park their cars there; enough to change their minds, perhaps. Why not all go there now, instead?

What happened to the Lochside Mile was really an example of all that is wrong with the SIC.

Health & Safety?. Nonsense, and you'll remember that twaddle was used as a reason to scrap the community skips.

H&S is just a convenient excuse for them to hide behind so they can steam-roll their own petty decisions over the public.

I was really hoping the present cuts would get rid of the orwellian tiers of management at the SIC who seem to have nothing better to do than interfere in things and fix what wasn't broken.

Sadly, as we can see, it's not happening though....

I may be wrong on this but I thought that you had to have your car taxed to leave it there. Apparently you can't have a valid tax disc on your car to drive it there but leave it there after the disc expires.

If this is the case, then it is deemed to be part of the public highway in some for. If so, then surely you have every right to leave it there.

quote]

No I think that if a vehicle is parked on a public road or laybye it must display a valid tax disc , be insured and have a current MOT.

What is your ideal solution?

Option 1 (now) - It's illegal, the council put up notices, the police act, or not

Option 2 (before) - It's illegal, the council does not put up notices, the police act, or not.

Option 3 - Some council action to specifically make it legal to sell cars there? Not sure if a simple by-law can overrule national law, but maybe there is some way? Likely some costs with that. Should the council spend money on it? Should they try and recover that cost from the sellers?

Well if they want to follow the letter of the law then any garage that openly displays cars for sale within 15M of a main road sould also be forced to rethink their layout .

H&S is just a convenient excuse for them to hide behind so they can steam-roll their own petty decisions over the public.

Absolutely it is. Remember when they used the told us that Shetland couldn't have a cinema because Health and safety had deemed the location to the fuel depot too dangerous? That was an excuse to put pressure on the depot to move.

When it didn't work, they went ahead and built their own glass palace between the two!

Just using that as an example. Not trying to get off topic.

Well if they want to follow the letter of the law then any garage that openly displays cars for sale within 15M of a main road sould also be forced to rethink their layout .
That'd be the "police act or not" bit. What do you want the council to do?

They could stick up daft signs like they have done at Lochside. Or is it the case of selective targeting?, :?