Shetland gas plant - safety gets priority ?

hazel64

Has anyone been along the the Sullom Voe site road today. We have roadworks making the road single track. Heavy haulage lorries taking loads from the construction pier to the site. If this is the way they treat the locals at the construction phase god help us all when it's operational!!!

There are laws regarding roadworks on a public highway, the simplest is the give and take method, it has to be signed and guarded, can only be done on a 30 mph road and if traffic flow in both ways is less than 20 vehicles. Anything above that would need positive traffic management installed and maintained, you can use a priority system, though there are distances involved, also stop/go but this too has its limits on distance, speed and weather. Portable, temporary traffic lights are probably the safer, with or without A & B boards for junctions.

If you think it is dangerous, report it to highways/roads dept.

Road safety/works 744866 roads@shetland.gov.uk

Thank you shetlandpeat, I know it's dangerous and total and Petrofac refused to stop their works when I requested them to. They at the same time were moving heavy haulage lorries full of grit or sand through a very narrowed road causing the lorries to clip the verges. Tomorrow we can look forward to the same but they will be moving an abnormal load through the day. Not a happy shetlander.

• 3 months later...
Thank you shetlandpeat, I know it's dangerous and total and Petrofac refused to stop their works when I requested them to. They at the same time were moving heavy haulage lorries full of grit or sand through a very narrowed road causing the lorries to clip the verges. Tomorrow we can look forward to the same but they will be moving an abnormal load through the day. Not a happy shetlander.
ach I think I will move to Unst til its aa by wi , comin ?

Not quite understanding the tone of your post. I will however correct.... Oh, I did.

Buses are not classified by their weight and are not subject to weight restrictions unless they cover say a weak bridge or other such structure, then they could still use said bridge under license. To be honest a layperson who drives would and should be familiar with the highway code. As you would know. The speed limits are in said document, and parts have been published on this site. As you are fully aware, all of us who post here have impeccable driving skills and knowledge.

I do hope this post meets your expectations.

So, heavy goods vehicles are driven by drivers who are deemed professional. They do hold a vocational licence and are required by law to complete their driver CPC. To continue to drive, as well as either declaring they are fit or via medical, they also have to complete 35 hours training every five years. This has to be paid for as well. For a driver caught breaking the law in their vehicle is now taken much more seriously.

Bring the matter up with the police, they at least have to investigate.

Alas you said ANY vehicle over 7.5t it's a bit much to expect a layman such as unlinkedstudent to know an expert such as yourself meant any vehicle other than buses.

God dammit, you mean SP didn't mean hovercraft or train either? Ohhhh, he meant certain road vehicles. Shocking, truly shocking. :?

PS: When did I change sex? :wink: