Shetlands Popemobile - 1981?

mogling

Trying to find out what happened to the 'Pope-mobile' - whether it might still be to the fore?

I think it was about 1980/81 when it arrived - one of the first wheelchair-accessible vehicles up here, used to be garaged on Burgh Road.

{I mind my Dad doing fundraising for it, and Arthur Zirkle, an american off the Karen Bravo survey ship donating a lot of money towards it.}

Can anyone mind the registration number? Does anyone have a photo of it showing the number?

Yes G.R. - you're right, it was a converted Mini, dark blue I seem to think?

It was somebody else was asking if it was still around - maybe lying in a byre somewhere they wondered? Said I would ask on here, see if anyone has any info?

{While on the subject of old cars - there was a red Mini Countryman BPS 166H - I did see her on the road here a few years ago - is she still to the fore??}

Thanks Kevin - I'll be seeing twartree Scallawaa folk damoarn so will axe dem if dey've seen her?

Why on earth my Dad traded her in for a Mini Clubman I'll never know... plastic wood-effect panels, yuck :(

{Thanks for the links to the videos of the band - my kinda music :) }

The Red Countryman in Scalloway - was asking my Scallowegian Lunch companions today if they knew who owned it?

... there was some synchronised smeeging as I related the tale, then one of them piped up that it was his car, amidst much hilarity!

He took that one up from Dartford, so it's not our old one.

But we had a jolly good laugh over lunch!