Hughs fish fight

toby

After seeing Hughs fish fight on the television you realised how fragile our sea is and as islanders i would hope most people on here would think the same,Cod is under real threat and with mackrel stocks at the brink of collapse i urge people to add there support for Hughs fish fight,
What do the people on here think?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yuo , Shoogler is completely correct , there is by no means a shortage of either species , cod is so prevelant in these waters that the fishermen are having a real struggle NOT catching them , so much if it in the water they have to keep on moving their fishing grounds to avoid it , as for the mackerel ,the shoals last month were so big they were scared of bursting their nets , the boats spent most of the time trying toi fish on the edge of shoals that were miles long and miles wide , don't believe the celebrity prats who think they are doing the right thing , they're not .

The concept of the show maybe started off as a good idea, but by most accounts recent episodes have largely sold out to sensationalism based on misinformation if not disinformation and untruths.

"Never let the truth stand in the way of a good story" seems to have been adopted as a rule of thumb, same as pretty much as 99.9% of everything the media touches.

IF Hugh is a so concerned about the Mackerel stocks i wonder why he didn't go to Faroe and Iceland to see what they have to say to him there the people who are set massive quotas for themselves..I think every body knows he's not man enough to chance that or even go to France or Spain and try to tell the fishermen there he's going to try and ruin there livelihood.

Rodger Cook tried years ago to hastle the Spanish fishermen and was lucky to get out with his life and Rodger is 100 times the man that Hugh will ever be..!!

... i wonder why he didn't go to Faroe and Iceland to see what they have to say to him there the people who are set massive quotas for themselves.

My understanding of the current mackerel disagreement lead me to the conclusion that Faroe and Iceland actually have a pretty good case for what they have done. I certainly have not followed all the machinations of the quota talks, but it is very clear that the fish have moved. They used to be around here, now they are up north. If Faroe and Iceland are treated with disdain, and are not bound by the existing arrangements (as they claim), their action is surely understandable? Fishermen please correct me if I'm missing something fundamental.

SHOOGLER-how do you know the Mackrel stock is so healthy Mr Whittingstalls claim is backed up by scientific research if we don't do somthing i fear we will lose the thing that makes the Shetlands so valuable Its wildlife

SHOOGLER-how do you know the Mackrel stock is so healthy Mr Whittingstalls claim is backed up by scientific research if we don't do somthing i fear we will lose the thing that makes the Shetlands so valuable Its wildlife

Everyone I have spoken to in "the Shetlands" says the scientists dont know what they are on about and use out of date data, Hugh is just taking advantage of a topic for his own ends i.e. to raise his profile and give him something to make a programme about (which has been rubbish so far I have to add).

He wont be happy till he has all the fishermen out a job unless they go out in a punt with a handline.

... i wonder why he didn't go to Faroe and Iceland to see what they have to say to him there the people who are set massive quotas for themselves.

My understanding of the current mackerel disagreement lead me to the conclusion that Faroe and Iceland actually have a pretty good case for what they have done.

That is my feeling too...

Reykjavik, Iceland – The Icelandic Ministry of Industries and Innovation today announced the country's 2013 fishing quota for mackerel, lowering the catch to 123,182 tons. This represents a 15 percent cut from the 2012 quota,

The 2013 quota is a reduction from Iceland's 2012 quota of 145,227 tons, as part of Iceland's commitment to ensure the long-term sustainability of the mackerel stock. It is the second year in a row that Iceland has lowered its catch quota, which was 154,825 tons in 2011.

The estimated total mackerel catch by the European Union, Norway, Iceland, Faroe Islands and Russia was 920,000 tons in 2012.

I am in full agreement with Hugh's latest campaign to build networks of marine conservation areas.

The quota system will always lead to large scale dumping of good edible fish, even in single species fisheries such as mackeral.

This is because when only having a set tonnage to catch vessel's will grade out and only keep the best value size of fish.

Closed areas along with a total end of the quota system is the only logical way ahead.

Unfortunately what is probably stopping this now is that " quota" has been a financially traded commodity for many years now and many individuals and business's have paid large amount of cash to basically claim ownership of wild fish in the sea before they have even been caught.

It's a multi-million exchange of money that a lot of people would not be happy to see disappear over night.

Closed areas, but with many closed on a rotational basis along with the quota system cancelled in favour of a realistic number of days at sea to make a living.

It would be good to sea more vessels fishing with hook and line too. The most ecologically and environmentally sound method of harvesting wild fish.

Glad to see that Crofter,It would be good to see more marine conservation sites in the shetlands,The area up around Mukle flugga would be good to protect as it has a large aray of wildlife,Just think more people from the fishing industry could get jobs in the tourist sector, that would help jobs in the local area making fishermen a good living rather than struggling at sea,