Hughs fish fight

toby

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My understanding of the current mackerel disagreement lead me to the conclusion that Faroe and Iceland actually have a pretty good case for what they have done. I certainly have not followed all the machinations of the quota talks, but it is very clear that the fish have moved. They used to be around here, now they are up north. If Faroe and Iceland are treated with disdain, and are not bound by the existing arrangements (as they claim), their action is surely understandable? Fishermen please correct me if I'm missing something fundamental.

This link shows a map of mackerel migration routes from Marine Scotland. There has always been a % of stock which passes through Faroe/Iceland waters. They claim this route has changed, which is the basis of their argument for a higher % of the TAC.

Currently Iceland and Faroe get 10% of the 550000t TAC recommended by ICES. They have given themselves quotas equivalent to more than 50% if I remember right. There would need to be a massive change in migration for that to be realistic.

http://trawlerphotos.co.uk/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=75944

Glad to see that Crofter,It would be good to see more marine conservation sites in the shetlands,The area up around Mukle flugga would be good to protect as it has a large aray of wildlife,Just think more people from the fishing industry could get jobs in the tourist sector, that would help jobs in the local area making fishermen a good living rather than struggling at sea,

Ask any fishermen locally and I’m sure they will tell you that they would struggle a damned sight less at sea without the regulation which has all but strangled their industry in recent years. You are right about the abundance of wildlife around Muckle Flugga - but it has managed to coexist quite nicely with a local fishing industry for many years without any more interference from the conservation lobby.

Even if a career change was likely to be an attractive proposition for any current fishermen (many of whom have had family involvement in the industry going back generations) tourism is never going to be a well-paid, year-round industry capable of providing the kind of work opportunities that fishing has in Shetland for many years.

Glad to see that Crofter,It would be good to see more marine conservation sites in the shetlands,The area up around Mukle flugga would be good to protect as it has a large aray of wildlife,Just think more people from the fishing industry could get jobs in the tourist sector, that would help jobs in the local area making fishermen a good living rather than struggling at sea,

Firstly, i assume you are not a resident of the Shetland Isles? I do hope you're not on the payroll of either HFW or of KEO Films.

My point about the mackerel stock, regardless of the reality of whether it has 'moved' significantly in to Icelandic and Faroese waters, is that it has been a stock properly managed under an international agreement. When 'quota' shares have developed based on historical 'track record' alongside ICES scientific advice (mixed with politics i acknowledge), it is just plain wrong to have 2 states within the equation who decide to immediately massively up their own quota. I suggest you need to look very closely at that unilateral 'grab' of the share of stocks as i think you may agree it would have a very destabilising effect on any international arrangement - regardless of whether the argument over changing pattern of migration is correct or not

Re the notion that Shetlanders can give up fishing and become tourist business - that is the sort of suggestion that makes me wonder if you are on the payroll. Fishing, in its various forms, is part of the culture and heritage of these islands and the activity supports many hundred shoreside jobs (engineering, processing, transport logistics, nets and gear, etc, etc). If you try coming to Shetland you will quickly see that the cost of getting here very quickly limits the tourist market - thank god in my opinion as there is a level of tourist visitors that would be 'in balance' with the capacity we have in the islands.

More proof that Hugh, and the crediting bodies, don't really know what they're on about. I've been diving around Shetland for over 20 years now and the damage that Scallop dredging does to the inshore seabed is horrible. Anyone that wants to disagree should go and stick on a drysuit and take a look at the endless tracts of lifeless mud that surround us wherever its flat enough to dredge.

You really don't have a clue what your talking about here, do you?

Its vary important that we don't get caught up in tradition,culture or heritage the planet belongs to us all,its time for action and stop the actions of a greedy few,

The Scottish fleet, and the Shetland fleet would have to work damn hard to do significant irrepairable damage to fish stock these days, there's very little of them left given the number of vessels the EU has forced under the oxy torch and chainsaw these last couple of decades or so.

Are you really that gullible that you swallow hook, line and sinker (pun intended) any old garbage goverments and fame hungry faces feed you, or is trolling as opposed to trawling your occupation?

oh yes and i do live in THE SHETLANDS

Clearly so, as that place is not on this planet and apparently neither are you.

And, before you say it, I am not a fisherman, nor do I have any fishing interests. The games politicians and "celebrities" play however are as transparent as fresh air to anyone who cares to take an interest in them.

[*** mod edit - some text removed ***]

Toby, it's not about tradition and culture, more about a small peripheral island community that has as much if not more right to fish the North Sea and North Atlantic as anyone.

A further question for you - how do you suppose the population of the planet will feed itself once it reaches about 9 billion in 2030 ? There is a perfectly sustainable but finite resource of fish in our waters provided sensible local/regional management policies can be allowed to replace the current failed systems.