Hughs fish fight

toby

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Off topic but related (in a way).

I posted a reply last night and realised I hadn't read the H F-W linky properly, went to 'edit' and tried to delete the post - couldn't do it - had to edit post to '...' to remove my original comments regarding the article.

On topic:

What aspects of the 'Fish Fight' are irelevant or misinformed?

Shoogler your answer is that people won't be able to eat fish then.

Aye, all fish will have evolved and grown impenetrable armour plating to protect themselves from all the offshore windfarms and weird and wonderful wave and tidal generating devices. Or will humans have evolved to only be able to digest liquids by then?

There is no point in making a statement that something will, or won't be, without providing the reasons why anyone might want to believe it to be true.

Toby, you might stand a better chance of engaging folk in conversation if you were to provide some specifics, and some evidence. Shetland is a fishing community and there's a lot of folk who are very knowledgable about fish stocks and marine conservation who use these forums - certainly more knowledgable, and with more first hand experience, than High Fernly Whatshisface.

Persoanally, I originally supported the principle of the Fish Fight but I have since withdrawn my support due to the skewed statistics and sensationalist scaremongering.

Toby, you might stand a better chance of engaging folk in conversation if you were to provide some specifics, and some evidence. Shetland is a fishing community and there's a lot of folk who are very knowledgable about fish stocks and marine conservation who use these forums - certainly more knowledgable, and with more first hand experience, than High Fernly Whatshisface.

Persoanally, I originally supported the principle of the Fish Fight but I have since withdrawn my support due to the skewed statistics and sensationalist scaremongering.

Couldn't say it better myself , just cause it was said on tv doesn't make it right !

Toby,

You made no comment on my post which explained how the quota system, a management regime planned every year by EU politico's and endorsed by all in the Liblabcon and SNP, actually leads to massive destruction of fish stocks.

It (the EU quota system) has comprehensively failed fishermen and fish stocks for 30+ years, the UK fleet was massively reduced just after the turn of this century and the vessel I worked on was one of those scrapped at that time.

Of the eight shetland men on our vessel, only one remains at the fishing now.

Our livelihood's were destroyed by the EU management regime, I personally dumped hundreds of thousands of good edible fish over the side , simply to avoided criminal prosecution.

In fact the small number of shetland boats left could be described as a species slowly going extinct.

This is because the number of young shetland men taking up the trade in any of the last few years can probably be counted on one or at best two hands.

Take a look around the boats and you will find that several are having to be crewed with eastern europeans, phillpiino's and African seamen.

As this last generation of Shetland fishermen slowly retire the boats (and more importantly the perceived and accepted concept of ownership of the wild fish out there in open water - the quota system) will be sold of to the highest bidder.

That will be big business and slowly all fishing rights will be owned by a small handfull of large companies as they will be the only ones who will be able to afford to buy in. Imagine if you will a Tesco owned fishing fleet.

I hope I am proved wrong by this prediction but unless the EU QUOTA SYSTEM is dropped and replaced with FULL National and local control then I fear this will be the case.

The oceans harvest wholly owned by big business interests and everyone else excluded. And the EU will have won in it's ultimate aim.

The only hope to avoid this is to vote UKIP