Tugs at Sullom

midget1965

I wonder why in a time of cut backs the SIC do not put the tug contract out to tender. Would that not save them some money, would it not?

Weel it`s no easy fir da young eens coming oot o school noo a days when dir wantin tae get a job at Sullom or at Sea, dir guys up yunder at Sullom dat are never been tae Sea tae get da sea time so how are dey gotten dir tickets?

I wid imagine that on £60k a year they're wouldn't be many folk leaving, therefore no adverts and weren't they going to cut the numbers on the tugs? Would you leave such a cushy number. Perhaps you should be looking at less ambitious jobs to begin with to get more experience, then keep an eye going for future vacancies on the tugs.

You could however contact them direct and ask about possible vacancies

Is da sea time mandatory cos I`m heard dir eens up yunder dat ir never been tae sea!

This is what this threads all aboot isn't it? Ha good fishing on Shetlink. Good try! :D

I wid imagine that on £60k a year they're wouldn't be many folk leaving, therefore no adverts and weren't they going to cut the numbers on the tugs? Would you leave such a cushy number. Perhaps you should be looking at less ambitious jobs to begin with to get more experience, then keep an eye going for future vacancies on the tugs.

Is da sea time mandatory cos I`m heard dir eens up yunder dat ir never been tae sea!

This is what this threads all aboot isn't it? Ha good fishing on Shetlink. Good try! :D

I reckon tha's got it in one, BigLad :P

As I said I`m trying tae get info fir me boy, he`s looking tae get a job up yunder an I wis windering what he needed.

I reckon tha's got it in one, BigLad :P

Jobs are advertised at www.myjobscotland.gov.uk. under Shetland Islands Council. The S.I.C. are required by law to advertise any job, full or part time on this site.

Not sure about that, the council intranet always has jobs that are not advertised to the general public.

Certain jobs have always been advertised for internal candidates only.

im afriad sea-time is mandatory, but its not dependent on the job it goes by the ticket, MCA website will tell you all about it. and yeah they will build seatime on the tugs as ive known cadets to get seatime in on there, same as council ferries...

i would have thought the wage structure would be similar to the ferries,

personally id rather work somewhere where i get to see a bit of the world, tugs are for the older stay at home guys - boredom soon sets in

• 1 year later...

Wonder if it would be a good idea to sell off or look to lease out the towage and possibly even the whole port operation at Sullom Voe.

If the SIC are 'finding it increasingly difficult in generating revenue from the port', I am sure the likes of Serco could show them a thing or two and more than likely run it on a more commercial basis. Maybe they could put in a ro-ro ramp at the port too?!

• 2 years later...