Internet Security

CHUCK NORR1S

Hi Shetlinkers,

My internet security runs out in the next few days and I'm fairly useless when it comes to this kinf of thing. My computer guy pal is off the island for the next month and is out of contact, the lucky sausage is trekking in South America.

Could one of you kind(Iknow some of you exist) chaps/ladies link me to something. I know my last lot of protection was AVG and it was free.

Are they the best? Is it worth paying for something or will the free stuff do? I generally use Youtube, Facebook, Netflix etc. I buy a lot over the internet and also do internet banking. I don't access any dodgy sites although i've opened some dodgy emails before.

Thanks in advance for your positivity and help ;) x

Hi CN. We used to use AVG but felt that, although it's detection seemed ok, the action was a little below par. We've had Norton since we bought our new pc and it seems to do what it says on the box. I've heard bad reviews of Norton but we've had no reduced speed issues.

Hope that's of some help. :)

Hi CN. We used to use AVG but felt that, although it's detection seemed ok, the action was a little below par. We've had Norton since we bought our new pc and it seems to do what it says on the box. I've heard bad reviews of Norton but we've had no reduced speed issues.

Thanks H, is that a free download?

How about Avast, anyone use that?

Thanks H, is that a free download?

How about Avast, anyone use that?

Hi Chuck

I've been using the free version of avast for the past two years. Never had any problems and it has picked up a few viruses that had tried to infect my computer. Simple to use and its free :D

All the free AV programs are OK and, as far as I am aware, all offer a 'paid for' upgrade to a more complete package.

Try them all in turn and decide which one you like best.

As for Norton, someone else pointed out that it's a bit of a system hog (and it is....)

Myself, I use Avast on one PC, Kaspersky on anther and, AVG on two more.

They all do a pretty reasonable job.

Just remember, the most dangerous part of a computer system is YOU....

I have used AVG for years though, as others have noted, it can be a bit of a resource hog on older computers.

I also use Malwarebytes which catches the non-virusy nasties that AVG misses.

I would also recommend CCleaner for more general maintenance. Running it once a week or so clears out a lot of the crap that tends to accumulate.

Just remember, the most dangerous part of a computer system is YOU....

Made me laugh Colin, so true.

After weighing up between what cover you get between the free downloads and the £20-£30 12 months offers, I decided to go with Kaspersky and got a £20 deal, It was a no brainer really.

Thanks very much for all the replies ;)

• 1 year later...

Avira Free or AVG Free, which is the "best", any experiences?

I've always used AVG Free, and while not perfect I won't slag it off as its shortcomings weren't unsurprising on summat for nowt. Have a machine here with Avira Free already loaded, but know nothing about its strengths and weaknesses - and wondering whether to leave on, or uninstall and go with the old familiar AVG Free instead.