impudent teenagers!

samal

Can I just advise no photos/video without putting up a warning notice. Depends on what position the police are taking in the situation, but you could find yourself in trouble for taking pictures of a minor, even if they were causing damage to your property.

That is hopeless. If you can't photo or film the little darlingers coming onto your property to vandalise or harrass, what on earth can you do? By the time Messrs Plod have arrived in their subtle big blue and white car, said darlingers will have done the damage and been long gone leaving said home owner with no evidence at all.

The law is an ass.

An aside: I now carry a camera on me when I go out riding and take photos of car licence plates of those that feel they can't slow down on a single track road or even stop in a passing place when they see a horse being ridden on the road.

Can I just advise no photos/video without putting up a warning notice. Depends on what position the police are taking in the situation, but you could find yourself in trouble for taking pictures of a minor, even if they were causing damage to your property.

If you go to the expense of cctv then the sensible precaution would be to show the police what area it covered and get them to agree (in writing ideally) that it was acceptable as protection for your property. As long as you don't deliberately point it at your neighbour's properties (or an obvious no-no such as a school) then I am sure that the police would have no reason to object. After all, you would be doing most of the detective work for them!

You may need a license to monitor public areas.
Not so for private use.

This is from the Information Commissioner's Office http://www.ico.gov.uk

If the cameras are installed on residential property and are for personal domestic use, they are unlikely to breach the Data Protection Act. This is because the use of CCTV cameras for domestic purposes, for example, protecting a home from burglary, is exempt from the data protection principles, even if the camera overlooks the street or other areas near the house. If you are concerned about the use of domestic CCTV, it may be worth contacting your local police. However, if you or your neighbour are using CCTV for business purposes, you'll need to comply with the Act.

You can film a public area if you want. As it is a public area.

If someone wants a copy of a picture I believe you have to provide it for a nominal fee. But omly if you are an organisation covered by the data protection act.

Obviously you can't look through people windows or anything like that.

A few years ago, I worked in a shop that was having problems with a gang of teenage shoplifters. I confronted them by shouting at them and ordering them all into the back shop ( which to my surprise they complied with) I then continued shouting at them and told them they were barred from the shop. One of them questioned why I was doing this, and becase I had no hard evidence that they were shoplifting, I told them that my reason was because they smelled and I didn't like their out of fashion clothes. They never came back!

An aside: I now carry a camera on me when I go out riding and take photos of car licence plates of those that feel they can't slow down on a single track road or even stop in a passing place when they see a horse being ridden on the road.

I hope you carry a large pooper skooper also - a subject for another thread possibly :wink:

It's poor craic our society nowadays when you can't protect your own property, I know what i'd like to do to someone vandalising mine but you leave yourself wide open to prosecution. It's fortunate we are coming into the lighter nights though but at the same time unfortunate, the darkness can hide many things :wink:

so you grab one of the said idiots. then what. slap him. that gets you arrested for an assault on a minor. hope you like to work because if you need a police check your stuffed.

detain them not a good idea results in your visit to mr plod again.

those little lambs know there rights. if you touch them you dont have a defence.

yes it would be nice to cuff them on their ears and they will have learnt there lesson. not going to happen.

even going to their homes and having a chat with the ragamuffins parents can soon get out of order.

No no no....slap him? I'm on about leaving the f*ck*r for dead! No trouble with police as he won't tell. If he does, just deny it. Even if you do get some police hassle, there won't be anymore hassles with the troublemakers.

I'm talking from experience here. I did this and worked for me. Would i do it again....too bloody right i would. These little f*cks want to mug me off then they must be prepared to pay a very painful price.