How to get a council house!

pandagirl

If you are a young couple trying for a council house in Shetland god help you because it seems that the young employed and driving couples are the ones that fail to meet the needs of the housing department. They are the ones who are told to add more areas of choice to their application as they wont stand a chance of getting in the areas of there choice because wait for it........... they can drive. Why should they add more areas to there application if they dont want to stay in Mossbank or sandwick for example, it seems a shame that young couples who have never been unemployed and never taken drugs or been in trouble with the law should find themselves penalised by the Sic housing department because they can drive . So if you want to get a council house then my advice would be give up your job and car and Im sure you wont have too long to wait before you get to the top of the housing list!

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is a joke, you are rewarded for bad behaviour and not trying to better yourself and penalised for good. I would make having a job be a factor for you getting to the top of the list.

I think this is it in a nutshell.

The whole system is a disgrace and unfortunately the SIC Housing Dept delight to enforce it to the letter.

I heard on Radio Shetland a couple of weeks ago that only 8 out of the 20 new houses being built at Hoofields will be available to normal, working people.

The other 12 I guess will be going to immigrants, the unemployed and individuals coming out of prison etc.....

It is a joke, you are rewarded for bad behaviour and not trying to better yourself and penalised for good. I would make having a job be a factor for you getting to the top of the list.

The whole system is a disgrace and unfortunately the SIC Housing Dept delight to enforce it to the letter.

I heard on Radio Shetland a couple of weeks ago that only 8 out of the 20 new houses being built at Hoofields will be available to normal, working people.

The other 12 I guess will be going to immigrants, the unemployed and individuals coming out of prison etc.....

So people who decide to come to Shetland are not classed as normal

or what some perhaps do come to Shetland rent privately for couple of months, refuse to pay their rent get evicted and then throw themselves at the mercy of the council. As it could take years to get a council house down South and would have to live in B&B and the like and other methods for obtaining housing here.

So its okay to abuse the system Hamiltonian by deliberately get themselves evicted from private rental at the going rate £500- 600 per month and move into at say £300 social housing

, jumping the queue when others have work hard hard and played fair and waited their turn to come up the housing list. Delibeartely making yourself homeless this way is fraud I would have thought.

Why should some people who move up here abuse a system over locals who have worked hard ,good law abiding citizens and have to wait their turn.

Doesn't seem fair.

Oh here we go again. Why do people think it is their God-given right to have a Council house in town? FFS, social housing was designed for those most in need.

Now if the SIC Housing Department have decided to add new 'qualifying factors to be taken into consideration' when applying for a council house/flat (in this instance, driving) which are not outlined in their Housing Policy/Procedures available online, then they are out of order. However, me thinks perhaps it was more a case of pointing out to you that you would be housed quicker if you did add more areas of choice to your application.

So its okay to abuse the system Hamiltonian by deliberately get themselves evicted from private rental at the going rate £500- 600 per month and move into at say £300 social housing

, jumping the queue when others have work hard hard and played fair and waited their turn to come up the housing list. Delibeartely making yourself homeless this way is fraud I would have thought.

Why should some people who move up here abuse a system over locals who have worked hard ,good law abiding citizens and have to wait their turn.

Doesn't seem fair.

Evidence to support both paragraphs, please.

So people who decide to come to Shetland are not classed as normal

In 8/10 cases, yes.

Oh here we go again. Why do people think it is their God-given right to have a Council house in town? FFS, social housing was designed for those most in need.

Now if the SIC Housing Department have decided to add new 'qualifying factors to be taken into consideration' when applying for a council house/flat (in this instance, driving) which are not outlined in their Housing Policy/Procedures available online, then they are out of order. However, me thinks perhaps it was more a case of pointing out to you that you would be housed quicker if you did add more areas of choice to your application.

It is coming to something when unlinked student is the voice of reason! Well said, U.S.

Shameful ignorant bigotry being spouted by others on here.

Scorrie , it's not the done thing or polite to name and shame on a public forum, those with their ear to the ground would know those who would do this.

So you are referring to an individual case that you are unhappy about? How many more SIC housing departments, managers, under managers, assistant managers, secretaries, assistant secretaries, housing officers and associated staff would you have them employ to fully vet every applicant to your standard without you complaining about over management?

The story goes, If you have a suitable roof over your head you are not in need of social assistance. If you have full time employment, you are not in need of social assistance. If you receive social security or Job seekers allowance and later find employment, you are no longer entitled to social assistance. Why then, if you are no longer in need of social housing are you allowed to burden the system? Surely the people who have full time employment are able to support themselves outside of the social support structure?

Maybe, just maybe, If there was more of an emphasis on social housing being a temporary situation, we'd see less people queueing and more availability.